CRASHING IN A RACE: This Busted Hub almost had a busted hub, and then some!

BUSTED HUB

Jan 21, 2010
Welcome to the wide world of racing crits. Sherman Park, hosted by ***. 30/40+ masters. 35 min crit. This was suppose to be an easy crit because there were no technical difficulties...course was oval. How friggin easy can that be? Right? Over eight crashes throughout the day. Unfortunately for me, just getting back in saddle of racing after more than 15 plus years it should have been a piece of cake. I ride with Turin out of Evanston, Illinois. One of our guys took first place in a previous race; I was pretty pumped, especially after getting great advice from my riding partner and others on strategy. I was totally ready for this crit.

Getting to the point. I was pulling my partner and was making headway towards the front of the pack; I made it a point to keep watch on everything around me and especially in front--I was looking for more openings to get to the front (I felt hopeful and confident). Three rounds out some older guy (had to be pushing 68-70), loses control and crashes about 50 ft in front of me. I was able to get around him, but my partner was close on my tail and clipped my rear wheel: that was all she wrote. I was out of it before I really got into it. Destroyed my helmet but no serious injuries. Miraculously, I didn't scratch my bike at all. Was able to walk away with minor issues. My partner was able to avoid the crash after clipping me but because he slowed down so much (the crash took out 5 guys, some with some serious injuries) he had to pull out.

I was extremely ****** because I really felt strong, ready and confident that I could have gotten my partner and I a decent placement. Afterward it made me realize that I'm a lot stronger than I have been wanting to give myself credit for. Of course, it was early in the race, but the training that I've been doing with my team and solo has been paying big dividends leaving me to believe that the potential is there to do better next time. I'm even more pumped up now to start riding with some of these group rides that are particularly challenging. We have a Sunday ride tomorrow. Can't wait.

Sux to hear about your misfortune - especially at the hands/wheels of a teammate. The fact that you avoided it and got clipped from behind would have me chapped as well. Nevertheless, and as I'm sure you already know - that's racin'...

You have some things to be thankful for, regardless of the fact that you didn't make it to the finish line: for one thing, among others, your bike's okay. I'd strongly suggest you stay near the front (top 10) in your next race as it's apparent your strength relative to your competition is pretty darn good. Further, it's apparent that your training protocol is working for you - that's HUGE! To know you're doin' the right thing training and recovery-wise, and reaping the benefits can not be stressed enough. I know at times I feel like a hamster on a running wheel WRT to my training...good on ya'...stay up front next race...

While you might have enough strength to race, you seem to lack skill.

It is unlikely that you partner clipped your wheel. It is more likely that you slowed down, overlapped his wheel, and then you went sideways hitting his front wheel.

At least that is my view of your race. Assigning blame is always difficult. But 15 years away from racing ...

---

Don't race with guys who fall down.

Interesting you should offer some criticism that is hardly constructive let alone justified. No, my partner told me that he was the one who clipped me as I got around the crashed victim. Once I got past the guy on the ground I started to accelerate and that's when I got hit. As for not having enough experience, you are correct with that assessment. My partner who has raced that race many times before actually should have been in lead pulling. But nevertheless, I was hardly blaming my partner for what happened. If anything, the guy on the ground was where my true anger was directed.