Crashing in last kilometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark U.

I was trying to explain to my wife (who knows less than I do about pro cycling) that everyone gets
the same time when a crash occurs in the last kilometer of a race (like Stage 1). She asked - do you
have to physically cross the finish line with your bike (riding or carrying) to actually get a time?
Did Tyler Hamilton actually get across the finish line in stage 1?

Thanks!

Mark

Mark U. wrote:
> I was trying to explain to my wife (who knows less than I do about pro cycling) that everyone gets
> the same time when a crash occurs in the last kilometer of a race (like Stage 1). She asked - do
> you have to physically cross the finish line with your bike (riding or carrying) to actually get a
> time? Did Tyler Hamilton actually get across the finish line in stage 1?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark

The rules require crossing the finish line with your bike, based on discussions here at the time. So
presumably, Tyler did cross the line with a bike.

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

I knew it was probably discussed when it happened, I'm not a regular lurker. Thanks for the info.

Mark

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Mark U. wrote:
> > I was trying to explain to my wife (who knows less than I do about pro cycling) that everyone
> > gets the same time when a crash occurs in the
last
> > kilometer of a race (like Stage 1). She asked - do you have to
physically
> > cross the finish line with your bike (riding or carrying) to actually
get a
> > time? Did Tyler Hamilton actually get across the finish line in stage
1?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Mark
>
> The rules require crossing the finish line with your bike, based on discussions here at the time.
> So presumably, Tyler did cross the line with a bike.
>
>
> --
> --
> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
> could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
> in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

This is not correct - the discussions here were wrong.

Phil L. definitely said during the tour (several times) that you can crash, not cross the finish
line, and come back the next day to race. What's his name did this in stage 1/2. (Haven't had my
coffee yet, so my memory is slow.)

Raptor wrote:

> Mark U. wrote:
> > I was trying to explain to my wife (who knows less than I do about pro cycling) that everyone
> > gets the same time when a crash occurs in the last kilometer of a race (like Stage 1). She asked
> > - do you have to physically cross the finish line with your bike (riding or carrying) to
> > actually get a time? Did Tyler Hamilton actually get across the finish line in stage 1?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Mark
>
> The rules require crossing the finish line with your bike, based on discussions here at the time.
> So presumably, Tyler did cross the line with a bike.
>
> --
> --
> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
> could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
> in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Daniel S. Lieb wrote:

"This is not correct - the discussions here were wrong."

Daniel is right. Hamilton did cross the line at Meaux under his own power, but he went straight to a
waiting ambulance after that. One other rider, Jimmy Casper of fdeux.com did not cross. Both were
given finish times.

The rules are clear. According to Velonews: "Tour rules allow a rider who crashes in the final
kilometer to remain in the race, even if he doesn't cross the line, while being given the same GC
time as the first rider in the group."

Status
Not open for further replies.