after a high intensity ride i crave a coke,
im not a soda person very rarley drink
it. ? is is there somthing in coke my body
wants that im not giving it ? today i
had to slam down a cold 32oz after
a 4 hour ride i couldnt resist
:confused:

Hi there
I recently asked a local health food store the same question, but I crave chocolate as well.
Basically she said that after vigorous exercise, the body uses up its stores of Chromium. Dont quote me on that lol, Im going by memory here.
Depleted stores of this, makes the body crave sweet foods.
I cant remeber the exact details, but anyway, she put me onto a product "Metabocel", the main ingredient u need to loook for is "Brindleberry", as apparently this has hight levels of Chromium.
It works for me, stopped me craving sweet stuff after exercise, so who am I to argue.
Hope I helped a bit :D

Originally posted by gorn
Hi there
I recently asked a local health food store the same question, but I crave chocolate as well.
Basically she said that after vigorous exercise, the body uses up its stores of Chromium. Dont quote me on that lol, Im going by memory here.
Depleted stores of this, makes the body crave sweet foods.
I cant remeber the exact details, but anyway, she put me onto a product "Metabocel", the main ingredient u need to loook for is "Brindleberry", as apparently this has hight levels of Chromium.
It works for me, stopped me craving sweet stuff after exercise, so who am I to argue.
Hope I helped a bit :D

thanks GORN ill look into the metabocel, i also crave a
snickers also after a ride but not as much as coke.
anyone else have any input on this?

It's hypoglycemia from your body consuming its blood sugar stores then its glycogen stores. Coke (or any high glycemic index foods) are not what you want to consume after a ride. Find a good recovery drink with some proteins and low glycemic or complex carbohydrates.

Keep slamming snickers and cokes after a ride and you gain so much body fat you wont be able to ride worth a damn.

Originally posted by MD101
It's hypoglycemia from your body consuming its blood sugar stores then its glycogen stores. Coke (or any high glycemic index foods) are not what you want to consume after a ride. Find a good recovery drink with some proteins and low glycemic or complex carbohydrates.

Keep slamming snickers and cokes after a ride and you gain so much body fat you wont be able to ride worth a damn.

thanks.

I agree and think its the hypoglycemia thats the problem here, but your better off by eating/drinking on the bike to avoid this then having a high carb snack when you get home. Doesn't really matter what the carbohydrate source is (high or low glycemic) in your post exercise meal. Although please consider your teeth!
This simply isn't true, since weight gain is caused by an energy inbalance 500 kcals of butter, coke, snickers, pasta, corrot, etc. are still 500 kcals and will result in the 'same' weight gain/loss. If you expend 4000 kcals during a ride and then eat two snickers (~500kcals in the UK) you would have a calorie defocite of 3500kcals or the same as a pound of body fat. High glycemic foods may even enhance recovery following a ride and your insulin response after exercise is greatly reduced. Some riders have been using insulin for its anabolic and favourable recovery properties.

Originally posted by zaskar
thanks.

Hey there,

My gut feeling on this one would be that you need to be sure you're eating a balanced diet all around, + that yoçu've had enough to eat beofre and then during the ride. If you stop and have a balanced snack that's not too copious, it might head off your craving, works for me in any case. My craving is more like for a bag of chips, and when I say a bag, I mean a whole bag!:eek:

I'm not into these snack bar things, just seems like someone making money by processing and packaging something I can get in unadulterated form much cheaper! So I'd say go for something simple and natural like couple of bananas, a yogurt or some cheese if you do dairy, or another source of protein like ham or tuna or a couple big handful of almonds or other nuts (nuts, very important, source of so many good nutrients!) if you don't eat dairy, or perhaps some bread, and LOTS of fluids other than soda... unsweetened room temperature tea is one of my favs, nice change from water, though you shouldn't overdo it because too much can interfere with the absorption of vitamins and minerals...

I seem to remember you mentioning you're 18 and have some weight issues? Or am I confusing you with another poster?

Take care, spend your money on good food and ride, ride, ride!

Sara:D

Originally posted by less'go
Hey there,

My gut feeling on this one would be that you need to be sure you're eating a balanced diet all around, + that yoçu've had enough to eat beofre and then during the ride. If you stop and have a balanced snack that's not too copious, it might head off your craving, works for me in any case. My craving is more like for a bag of chips, and when I say a bag, I mean a whole bag!:eek:

I'm not into these snack bar things, just seems like someone making money by processing and packaging something I can get in unadulterated form much cheaper! So I'd say go for something simple and natural like couple of bananas, a yogurt or some cheese if you do dairy, or another source of protein like ham or tuna or a couple big handful of almonds or other nuts (nuts, very important, source of so many good nutrients!) if you don't eat dairy, or perhaps some bread, and LOTS of fluids other than soda... unsweetened room temperature tea is one of my favs, nice change from water, though you shouldn't overdo it because too much can interfere with the absorption of vitamins and minerals...

I seem to remember you mentioning you're 18 and have some weight issues? Or am I confusing you with another poster?

Take care, spend your money on good food and ride, ride, ride!

Sara:D

hello LESSGO, no im 37 and dont have a wieght problem
im 5'7" tall 153lbs i hope to loose 3 more lbs, over the last 3
months ive lost 6 lbs. i also eat before ride and on bike,
it just when i hammer i get the sweet crave. the other day
i rode 4 hours the 1st 2 hours &30 min i was 80-90%
of my max hrt, also i dehydrated my self wich may have caused
the crave to be stronger before ride i was 153lbs after ride
i was 146lbs.

Originally posted by 2LAP
I agree and think its the hypoglycemia thats the problem here, but your better off by eating/drinking on the bike to avoid this then having a high carb snack when you get home. Doesn't really matter what the carbohydrate source is (high or low glycemic) in your post exercise meal. Although please consider your teeth!

This simply isn't true, since weight gain is caused by an energy inbalance 500 kcals of butter, coke, snickers, pasta, corrot, etc. are still 500 kcals and will result in the 'same' weight gain/loss. If you expend 4000 kcals during a ride and then eat two snickers (~500kcals in the UK) you would have a calorie defocite of 3500kcals or the same as a pound of body fat. High glycemic foods may even enhance recovery following a ride and your insulin response after exercise is greatly reduced. Some riders have been using insulin for its anabolic and favourable recovery properties.

thanks 2lap i was confused of how a snickers could
make wieght gain if my calories are in check, although
i very rarely eat them anymore maybe once a month.