Craving for New York food

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Sanjay Thomas, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. I am seriously craving a New York pizza... no one does it better.

    I've also been craving "Chicken and Rice"; a little Middle Eastern run stand near Times Square that
    sells little foil pans of rice with chicken and naan-type bread, with a white sauce... delicious.

    If I could have these two things, I would be happy.

    Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to share. Melba's posts have got me reminiscing.

    Sanjay

    Tags:

  2. Vince Poroke

    Vince Poroke Guest

    "Sanjay Thomas" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am seriously craving a New York pizza... no one does it better.
    >
    > I've also been craving "Chicken and Rice"; a little Middle Eastern run stand near Times Square
    > that sells little foil pans of rice with chicken and naan-type bread, with a white sauce...
    > delicious.
    >
    > If I could have these two things, I would be happy.
    >
    > Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to share. Melba's posts have got me reminiscing.
    >
    > Sanjay

    Talk about NY cravings. I have been in need of my "Devil Dog" fix for years now. They just don't
    have them in Cali. I should order some on the net, huh.

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Vince Poroke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Talk about NY cravings. I have been in need of my "Devil Dog" fix for years now. They just don't
    > have them in Cali. I should order some on the net, huh.

    Why can't you make one?

  4. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 07:23:44 GMT, "Sanjay Thomas" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I am seriously craving a New York pizza... no one does it better.

    My grocer sells these (for $10 - more expensive on the website):

    http://www.flyingpizzas.com

    They're really good if you cook them hot and fast on the rack in the oven. Since they're kosher, you
    have to add your own pepperoni.

    -sw

  5. Doug Weller

    Doug Weller Guest

    I don't know if they taste the same as they did 33 years ago, Chock Full O' Nuts hotdogs --
    loved the buns.

    And shredded pork in Peking Sauce.

    Doug

  6. Becca

    Becca Guest

    >I am seriously craving a New York pizza... no one does it better.

    Most of the time, I eat in Chinatown and Little Italy, but I have eaten from street vendors and I go
    to Katz's Deli sometimes.

    Should I order a pizza when I am there in May?

    Becca

  7. Scott

    Scott Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Becca <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Most of the time, I eat in Chinatown and Little Italy, but I have eaten from street vendors and I
    > go to Katz's Deli sometimes.

    Two great places in Chinatown; I can never remember the name of either. One is on the Bayard St., on
    the north side, just west of Mott. Absolutely amazing curried chicken stew. The other place is two
    blocks away: s/e corner, Mott and Hester (actually a little bit south of Hester). They have a
    seafood hotpot buffet. When you ask for the buffet, they sit you down at a table with a propane
    stove, and put a large pot of soup on it. You go to the 15 or so foot long buffet, which is crammed
    with raw seafood, including various invertebrates you NEVER see at a western fish store. In
    addition, about 15% of the offerings are cooked: little crabs (2x3") boiled, the meat scooped out,
    mixed with cheese, and put back into the shell and baked; deep fried octopus about the size of your
    thumb; deep fried minnows you eat like potato sticks, etc. Most of the raw stuff is seafood, but
    there's also meat (chicken, beef, etc.) and soup greens. Anyway, you get a plate of the raw and a
    plate of the cooked, bring it back to your table and dump the raw stuff into the soup. As it cooks,
    you eat the already-cooked stuff, then remove things from the soup when they're ready using little
    mesh scoops. When you're all done, you eat the now-flavorsome soup.

    Katz's deli? Feh. Mediocre. You can get better kosher deli on Long Island.

    --
    to respond, change "spamless.invalid" with "optonline.net" please mail OT responses only

  8. On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 07:57:55 -0600, Becca <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >>I am seriously craving a New York pizza... no one does it better.
    >
    >Most of the time, I eat in Chinatown and Little Italy, but I have eaten from street vendors and I
    >go to Katz's Deli sometimes.
    >
    >Should I order a pizza when I am there in May?

    I am apparently a minority in this matter, but I say don't bother if you mean the common pizza shops
    (Ray's Famous etc) that are everywhere. There are excellent pizzas to be had, but they are not what
    most people refer to as New York pizza, I think.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    The sound of a Great Blue Heron's wingbeats going by your head

  9. Becca

    Becca Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > Katz's deli? Feh. Mediocre. You can get better kosher deli on Long Island.

    As a small child, my friend began eating at Katz's over 50 years ago, this is why we have to go back
    to Katz's. It's a childhood thang.

    Thanks for the info, I will look for the restaurant you mentioned. One of the restaurants I liked
    was Vietnamese/Chinese but I do not remember the name of it.

    I looked for BBQ on Long Island a couple of years ago. Could not find any. I will try the pizza
    this time.

    Becca

  10. Scott

    Scott Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Becca <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I looked for BBQ on Long Island a couple of years ago. Could not find any. I will try the pizza
    > this time.

    Spicy's BBQ; two locations: Station Road in Bellport and West Main Street, Riverhead

    There's a place with the unfortunate name of "Adam's Rib" in West Babylon that I keep
    meaning to try.

    Cooke's Inn on New York Avenue is a soul food place, not BBQ per se, but they do great ribs and
    chicken (BBQ and jerk, but the choice changes).

    --
    to respond, change "spamless.invalid" with "optonline.net" please mail OT responses only

  11. Jonquiljan

    Jonquiljan Guest

    When I lived in New York - Manhattan - I had delightful oriental meals delivered (and picked up)
    from a small place on 2nd Avenue in the 60's called the Ho Hum.

    Of course that was 40 years ago and a lot of things tasted good on my salary.

    JonquilJan

    Learn something new every day As long as you are learning, you are living When you stop learning,
    you start dying