Crawfish: What to do with precooked, whole crawfish

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by DoctorK, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. DoctorK

    DoctorK Guest

    I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home) carries
    in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
    crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not
    frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

    Thanks,

    Doc.

    Tags:

  2. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On 23 Feb 2004 13:28:52 -0800, [email protected] (DoctorK)
    wrote:

    >I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home) carries
    >in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
    >crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not
    >frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Doc.

    We eat them cold. Break off the heads & shell & use a mayo-based dip of your choice.

    Boron

  3. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    DoctorK wrote:
    > I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home)
    > carries in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any
    > uncooked crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're
    > not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Doc.

    Yes, you could heat them up that way; toss them in boiling water just long enough to heat through.
    Don't overcook or, you're right, they could become tough.

    Laissez les bon temps rouler!

    Jill

  4. Tara

    Tara Guest

    wrote:

    >I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home) carries
    >in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
    >crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not
    >frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

    I would steam them in a colander over simmering water to reheat.

    Tara

  5. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    A "few minutes" is too long. You just want to defrost and barely heat them through.
    ------------------

    >s seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked crawfish.
    >If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not frozen. Would I
    >just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

  6. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Tara wrote:
    > On 23 Feb 2004 13:28:52 -0800, [email protected] (DoctorK) wrote:
    >
    >> I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home)
    >> carries in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any
    >> uncooked crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these?
    >> They're not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?
    >
    > I would steam them in a colander over simmering water to reheat.
    >
    > Tara

    Double boiler trick, perhaps. Funny, while I was awake early this morning with a sick cat Bert Wolf
    was on PBS talking about double boilers, toast, burgers and cheese sauce. I ran into the man at an
    office building when I was about 28 years old; he used to live in Memphis. He gave me the look-see
    and asked if I knew anything about cooking as I walked down the steps. I just smiled.

  7. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    wrote:

    >I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home) carries
    >in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
    >crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not
    >frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

    They're from China and/or SE Asia. They've been cooked to death,frozen, thawed, frozen again, thawed
    again, rinse and repeat.

    Throw them away. Or just don't buy them.

    -sw

  8. Pan Ohco

    Pan Ohco Guest

    wrote:

    >I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home) carries
    >in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
    >crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not
    >frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Doc.

    If you are having a "Crawfish Boil" just put them in the pot ( with the corn,potatoes,ect) for the
    last minute to warm up.

    If you just wish to use the Crawfish (no boil), peel and use in etouffee.

    Steaming would be good if reheating the full bugs alone. Pan Ohco

  9. Erica

    Erica Guest

    "DoctorK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home)
    > carries in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any
    > uncooked crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're
    > not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

    Why not peel them and make crawfish etouffe out of the meat? Good recipes for it are easy to find.

    --Erica