Crazy Day in the Saddle

quenya

Jan 14, 2010
In preparation for the Climb to Kaiser at the end of the month, which is a 155 mile ride with five mountain passes that gains a total of 14,000 feet, my buddy and I did the hardest day I've ever had on a bike.

All told it was 77 miles and climbed four of the five passes for a total of 11,000 feet of elevation gain.

We did Tollhouse which is a nearly 7 mile steady climb that averages ~7% but has sections as steep as 13% near the top. Then we did Big Creek which after a twisty steep descent takes you up 2000 feet in under 4 miles, average grade 10% with sections of 20+%, you know it's bad when a 10% grade is a rest. Then Kaiser, which was pretty tame 5-8% grade for five miles until you reach a snow gate, when it turns in to a 2 mile stretch of 10% with steep sections again up to and above 20%, pot holes, dirt, and melting snow leaving puddles that hide pot holes. The last climbs are Tamarack ridge 3 short bumps that only reach 6% grades but at the end of the day I can see how they could be very defeating.

Next weekend were going to do the same ride on Saturday and Sunday we will to all but Tollhouse. The Cllimb to Kaiser is Saturday June 26 so, wish me luck!

Wow. Kudos to you guys. Out of curiousity. What's your gearing setup like? As well as your riding partner? I can't imagine what I'd use if I was to attempt a similar adventure.

I ride a standard (53/39) with an 11-25. My buddy has a standard with a low gear of 53x28, but has ordered a compact crank to help him out on the steepest sections. Most of the guys we ride with and talk to are riding compacts with 27s or 28s in back.

It is not unheard of for guys to ride triples, or use MTB rear derailleur to fit 33 and 34 tooth cogs.

I have a standard with a low gear of 53x28, but I ordered a compact crank to help him out on the steepest sections. It is not unheard of for guys to ride triples, or use MTB rear because it also very efficient to use it.

That sounds intense, good luck! I enjoy climbing, but sadly there is no where near me that isn't just some small lumps.

quenya said:
In preparation for the Climb to Kaiser at the end of the month, which is a 155 mile ride with five mountain passes that gains a total of 14,000 feet, my buddy and I did the hardest day I've ever had on a bike.

All told it was 77 miles and climbed four of the five passes for a total of 11,000 feet of elevation gain.

We did Tollhouse which is a nearly 7 mile steady climb that averages ~7% but has sections as steep as 13% near the top. Then we did Big Creek which after a twisty steep descent takes you up 2000 feet in under 4 miles, average grade 10% with sections of 20+%, you know it's bad when a 10% grade is a rest. Then Kaiser, which was pretty tame 5-8% grade for five miles until you reach a snow gate, when it turns in to a 2 mile stretch of 10% with steep sections again up to and above 20%, pot holes, dirt, and melting snow leaving puddles that hide pot holes. The last climbs are Tamarack ridge 3 short bumps that only reach 6% grades but at the end of the day I can see how they could be very defeating.

Next weekend were going to do the same ride on Saturday and Sunday we will to all but Tollhouse. The Cllimb to Kaiser is Saturday June 26 so, wish me luck!

Good luck on the ride.

If you wanted some fun climbing and a crazy day in the saddle you should have paid the other side of the sierras a visit yesterday and did the Alta Alpina challenge. It's the first time I've heard of a course being lengthened due to snow and roadworks - like 8 passes and 198 miles wasn't enough already... and it just screens fun doing the back of monitor pass with 17,000ft and 175miles in the legs already.

So 39x28 on Tollhouse, you either put out 350watts or weigh 110lbs :p

swampy1970 said:
pass with 17,000ft and 175miles in the legs already.

5,181 meters ouch! :eek: this sounds suspiciously like a form finder ride ;)

steve said:
5,181 meters ouch! :eek: this sounds suspiciously like a form finder ride ;)

That last pass climbs 3300ft and 3000 of that is done in just over 7 miles - roughly 7.5%, climbing to over 8300 feet.

tack that onto your 5100 meters. :p

Swampy, the Alta Alpina Challenge is on my to do list but it wasn't happening this year. We did the same ride as last week again yesterday, and are heading out to do the upper portion (Big Creek, Kaiser, and back to Shaver no Tollhouse) today. I really gave it my all on the climbs yesterday and Iam not looking forward to Big Creek this morning.

I set a PR up Tollhouse, 44:29.05! I'm very excited about that, BTW!

quenya said:
...I set a PR up Tollhouse, 44:29.05! I'm very excited about that, BTW!
Nice job, that's a very respectable time for Tollhouse!

Don't underestimate the final miles back into Fresno during CtK, that can be the hardest part of the day if you're battling a hot central valley headwind across the endless flats. The climbing is beyond stout, but that final stretch breaks folks, make sure you eat and especially drink enough for the closing miles.

Good luck,
-Dave

Great advice! Thanks Dave, I'm lucky enough to live in north Fresno so Auberry road is my staple out and back I am hoping that gives me some mental advantage. I am dreading 'cherry hill' which is short and steep and dang near the end of a really long day!