Crazy Dura Ace Prices!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by JTE83, Jul 31, 2008.

1. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Tags:

2. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

:eek: I didn't expect 7900 to be that crazily priced! Granted it's new and the prices will steadily drop after the first year, but the initial price is definitely shocking. Just wait until Campy releases the retail prices for 11sp Super Record. It'll drawf 7900 prices by a healthy margin I'm sure. All of a sudden, 10sp Record looks like an excellent deal.....

3. Julian G.

Julian G. New Member

Uh, ya, half of those components are worth more than my bike...

But damn, that crankset is nice!

4. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

I won't be buying that grouppo anytime this CENTURY:eek:

5. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Yep, what we calculated as well. $1000 price rise, PLUS DAi is going to probably push $3200 or so. 2009 Record will be in the $2200-$2300 range with SuperRecord just past $3000, 11s Chorus about $1600-$1800 or so. VERY expensive stuff.......

6. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Gotta wonder if you can put a standard chainring onto the balloon crank..depends on the spider holes I guess, since the new rings are secured from the back, INTO the big ring. That big ring is gonna be pricey.....

7. benkoostra

benkoostra New Member

$700 for the crank? You have got to be kidding.

I just saw a 7800 on Ebay for ~$250.

8. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. I've taken a close (?) look at the pic of the back side of the 7900 crankset, and it appears that the spider has:
    • 130BCD
    • shoulders which will accept "normal" chainrings -- both, outer & inner
    So, while the crank-specific chainring WILL BE very expensive, I think Shimano learned an important lesson (belatedly) that proprietary XTR chainring BCDs (112BCD & apparently 144BCD) are not looked upon kindly by the cycling world, and so Shimano has presumably maintained the now-standard 130BCD size (did SunTour originate that size?).

9. zaku

zaku New Member

i bet they are making an at least 500% profit on these kinds of stuffs :eek:

i'm happy with my 7800 now and won't be upgrading unless it comes to a not-too-insane price for the 7900 like the 7800 now.

fyi, shimano updated their site with the Di2 :cool:

10. Dietmar

Dietmar New Member

Does anybody know if the controls for Di2 are wireless? All the pictures I have seen show wires for power (well, those you need) and for controlling the shifters, but I have seen rumors that they may be going to wireless controls (meaning, no wires coming from the brifters). Any word on this?

P.S.: To me this looks like, in order not to be upstaged by the 11-speed Campy groups, Shimano decided to push their electric system to market. Given that Camagnolo has had electronic shifting in the works for a long time, too, it can only be a matter of time for them to hit back with their own electric shifting system. Shimano will then be offering 11-speed, soon...

11. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I blame SRAM for making groups expensive! Ever since they came into the component group game with Force and pricing STI's at $530 everything else went up and other makers priced higher to look good too. Now top end stuff is getting more like a rich biker's bling! I certainly can't afford 7900, and stuff like this makes road biking a very expensive sport! Like I gotta be happy with 105 10 speed on my 07 Trek Pilot 2.1 spa!

Do you see the CF Dura Ace crank at $1400? An FSA is way better and lighter! Definitely rich man's bling! Did any TDF biker use the CF DA crank?

12. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

There's no surprise, really, on pricing. The cachectic dollar does nothing to help and probably has a significant contribution to the prices. With the revamping of the Dura Ace gruppo, the price was going to go up significantly. There was no doubt about that, especially given the number and magnitude of the changes made.

The surprise is that Campy Record is going to be the bargain among the top offerings from Shimano, Campy, and SRAM. Super Record is supposed to be only 18% more than Record.

FSA isn't even a consideration. Their cranks vary wildly in weight which means that their layup varies wildly. A large segment of FSA users and former users have/had major issues with creaking and NDS crank arms coming loose. Worse, FSA can't even figure out how to fix that. Equally troubling is the number of FSA users who've had pedal inserts come loose. That fact is, from a performance (mechanical performance, not rider performance) FSA can't touch anything from Shimano or Campy.

It's silly to get one's panties all knotted up over the announcement of '09 MSRPs. None of the products are in the shops, and most places won't be selling things at MSRP.....except for Competitive Cyclist.

As for the CF Shimano crank, it looks nice, and I'll bet it has the quality and function people should expect from Shimano. The hot crank, though, looks like it will be the Look Zed crank. It's a one piece crank arm, BB axle system, and accepts both 130 BCD and 110 BCD chainrings. The BB axle is a massive 50mm ∅ piece. The trilobal pedal mount is a pretty slick way of varying crank length. Right now, it's only for their new TT frames, but Look says a version for other ride bikes is on the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. parawolf

parawolf New Member

What an awesome concept...

14. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

ha! :D They're more Aussie prices -- we've been screwed on prices for years. The cheapest I've ever got 7800 cranks for in a shop was $480!! And I've never bought new levers: I have 4 sets of used 9-speeds

15. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Roadbiking as a sport is now getting too expensive for the nice top end stuff! Now you gotta settle for 105, Ultegra, Chorus, Record, and often used old gear!

A new bike I'd be happy with is the 08 Trek Madone 5.2 with Ultegra SL. Don't need anything better but this is just a dream bike I don't need when I have 7 road bikes!

16. parawolf

parawolf New Member

settle for record or chorus? yes please...

17. JTE83

JTE83 Member

When it was just Shimano and Campy I used to hate Campy. Then my ebay CF Cervelo Soloist came with Chorus and it sold cheap for $3015 shipped with Ksyrium SLs. - Got used to Campy. Then SRAM came in and I liked Campagnolo better, because I'd rather shift with two different levers. And SRAM started this stupid real expensive component prices with $530 Force STI's!

I hate SRAM, but I would work for them in Chicago!

18. alienator

Yeah, what's that all about, eh? I've got a friend in NZedland, and he says they've got the same issue: outrageous prices. I've heard a few Aussies say it's cheaper to fly to Europe, buy bike kit, and fly back to Aussieland with it than it is to buy it at home in that New Zealand protectorate.

Quite a few of my eBay sales have been to riders in Australia. Just sent my Moots Compact there a few weeks ago.

If you build up a bike with Record, Dura Ace or, I guess, Red, it's still a smokin' good deal, even with prices high as they are now. You should get years out of those bits and many thousands of miles.

I bought gas today at $3.83/gal. Based on that, I save in excess of $1300/year on fuel by riding my bike to school/work. That doesn't include any car maintenance. So one year of riding sees nearly an even trade in cost between Record and gas. To me, that makes the price of Record, or even Super Record, damned reasonable. And that's only one metric for comparison.

19. parawolf

parawolf New Member

Costs of a groupset build up of Dura-Ace or even Ultegra from probikekit is half or more the price of a retail build kit from a bike store in Australia.

It just isn't worth it, if you can find it in stock online, and can wait the approx 1 week shipping.

Another example is SRM Dura-Ace Professional with PC V in a retail US store is US$3600, in Australia over AU$5700. Considering the near parity of the US and AU dollar, and improving AUD against the Euro; consider that the local importer of SRM has to bring in an SRM for every order thus not exposed to international money markets for price - we get fucking reemed on pricing of quality bike bits.

20. alienator

That is a steaming pile of shit. Your heads of state in Auckland ought to do something about that.

Even parity with the US dollar? Why would you want that? The US dollar has no traction against the Euro. In fact, some US distributors of some Euro bike parts are dropping those Euro lines because of the expense of stocking them and the very, very small return. Tune is without a distributor right now, as their last guy dropped 'em.