Crazy Dura Ace Prices!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by JTE83, Jul 31, 2008.

1. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Well, I've yet to see the mistake. I made the same technical argument, in the last post that I've made for a long time, and that argument is supported by sound science and engineering principles. Likewise, I stated what I've always stated: people should buy what they want. The last statement is not based on anything technical but on the fact that since cycling is about having fun, folks ought to buy what gives the most fun for them.

Neither of those statements contradicts the others. And nothing I've said contradicts those two statements. You can go back through all of my posts, read each one, and you'll find that is the case.

2. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

Good point.

I however think that there is an implicit pressure on the budding cyclist to upgrade.

It isn't as rampant in this thread, but how often have we all read threads consisting of, "I just bought bicycle X, what should I upgrade first?" or "Should I upgrade to XYZ?"

In general, the consumerism in the cycling world (or at least the US sector of it, or the online US sector of it) probably needs more of a moderation than encouragement... Although, if someone truly has the disposable income and desire, who am I to stand in the way of free enterprise.

3. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

LOL. You are correct. I ride a hodgepodge of Chorus and Record parts. Obviously not expensive high end stuff...

What do you consider to be high end stuff if you exclude Record? Is it only SRAM and Super Record? :confused:

And I am with Alienator on the quality of FSA cranks. They suck. I know. Most of the people I ride with have abandoned them. And I have a bike with FSA Gossamer cranks that have: (i) spontaneously unscrewed a crankarm; and (ii) creak so bad car drivers hear me and turn to see what the heck the noise is from in Rome city traffic.

Anyone want to buy an FSA gossamer crankset cheap?

4. alienator

You're absolutely correct. All that can really be done is to offer up the objective differences between groups and their performance--which is very little--and likewise objective riding performance gains someone will see from upgrades, i.e. from none to very little. Maybe with that, a few people will buy kit based either on objectivity or because it tickles their fun spots and gets them psyched to ride. That's infinitely better than buying because the LBS salesman says you need an upgrade or because someone on an internet forum said things would be much better if you bought something shiny, new, and more pricey.

5. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

I laughed out loud reading this sentence.

I agree with your analysis, and enjoy your wit in the way you expressed it.

6. JTE83

JTE83 Member

7. gemship

gemship New Member

8. Albert 50

Albert 50 New Member

Why do ppl have to go on with so much crap??

9. alienator

Ahhh, you just must be jealous because you can't go 32 mph on the flats on your bike. Maybe you didn't spend enough on your bike. ;)

Seriously, it's really important for people to know how fast you can go. It's almost as important as making sure people know how much you've spent on bikes. That's why Gord Fraser came back to the US cycling scene after one year in Europe: the European teams wouldn't stop asking him about how fast he thought he could go and how much he spent on bicycles.

So you won't be embarrassed in the future, you'll probably want to put a post-it note on your bike with your highest speeds in case you're not around the bike when someone comes to ask. While you're at it, make sure you leave the price tags on all the bike bits so that everyone will know, without asking, how buff you're bike buying taste is.

The rest of us poor saps will just ride our bikes and enjoy riding without going on about how much we spent or how fast we can go. Jeez. How silly is that?

10. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Good or bad doesn't matter. COST to the bike builder matters. Why so many built bikes have such crappy components on them(like Kry-for-me-siriums).

FSA was first of the current gen compacts and their chainring and bearing(even the mystical ceramic) quality is poor when compared to shimano and Campagnolo. You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get.

11. gemship

gemship New Member

Interesting, I certainly don't have the informed knowledge to prove otherwise but I do find it odd that FSA stays in business. They're products must hit a price point that is desireable for both bike manufacturers and consumers.

12. Peter@vecchios

Rememeber that most who buy a bike with Mavic wheels or FSA cranks and BBs ride them only occasionally so for these people, the durability is just fine. a 25 mile ride once or twice a week, those 2600 or miles per year and they will probably be fine but do 1000 miles per month and these things are gonna go south.

The carbon cranks have low end chainrings and BBs, look cool but at $375, they have to save $ somewhere and it's done with 'hidden spec'.

13. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Alienator you are just jealous. BTW, my max speed on the flat is 34 mph (I have no idea about miles per hour anyway, but that is faster than that other guy who posted). And my current bike costs 3,142.26 Euro. Give or take. Not considering different tax %s on the clinchers (29 Euro each! what a steal! Everyone else here in Rome is a sucker and pays AT LEAST 31 Euro for the same clincher!) and frame.

Now I have seen some really grrovy Deda bar tape. But it is too expensive at 16.00 Euro a box in my lbs. So I convinced a guy on ebay to sell it to me 8.00 Euro SHIPPED. I AM AWESOME.

But I think I have found a Taiwanese guy who produces knock-off Deda tape. Quality sucks but it looks really good. And I can have that shipped in boxes of 1000 sets for 4.00 Euro a set! WHAT A STEAL.

Oh, I also have another 37 custom carbon fiber, titanium, alu and steel frames in my garage waiting to be set up. I have spent about 576,000 Euro on frames in the past six months. So that has made it difficult for me to equip the bikes, as I have little money for the SRAM Red/Super Record/Dura Ace combination I will be setting up on all of them.

So there.

14. Nasgul

Nasgul New Member

I highly doubt that that's going to be the final price, besides, it's the 2009 kit and we're still in 2008.

Colorado Cyclist will probably have 'em for a lot less, or at least the "correct" price.

Besides, ETA is October.

15. alienator

Well, if I were looking for a deal, Colorado Cyclist isn't where I'd go. There is nothing special about the way they price things.

16. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

Re New Zealand prices - the latest Scott Ltd (you know the one - lightest production frame, Dura Ace etc) retails at $21 000 NZ. No wonder they're not moving them. :eek:
    A few years ago Look CX 7 pedals retailed at $950 but one shop specialed them at $850! :eek:
    We do have Torpedo7 though - even if they do have a limited stock list.

17. larrynipon

larrynipon New Member

Not wireless. I just took my first ride with the Di2. I have a Madone 2008 6.9Pro that I had them installed on. All I can say is...yea, it's PRICEY! However, long after the pain of the spend is gone, that SWEET shift, always being in the right gear, effortless changeups from the 39 to 53 under load, no cross-chaining, always being in the perfect gear...the list goes on folks, but this group was worth every penny.

18. Peter@vecchios

Glad you like this stuff but...
    -'no' cross chaining? I think you mean no FD rub as it is automatic but you 'can' select the big ring-big cog combo. The 'system' doesn't prevent that.

-'always being in the perfect gear'-well for those not as familiar with Di2, you still select the gear you want to be in, the system doesn't do it depending on conditions, doesn't 'tell' you when to shift. Quick shifts to the gear you see as perfect, certainly. Automatic electric shifting does exist from shimano but it's on cruiser type bikes. Probably the 'best' feature is the FD shifting which is really good but shimano has always had great FD shifting.