Crazy Gas Prices

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by roundandround, Mar 11, 2008.

1. roundandround

roundandround New Member

I don't know about the rest of you but gas here in SoCal is about $3.74 for regular. Diesel is about $4.25. Crazy! I'm glad I catch the metro most of the time. I did go car hunting over the weekend with no luck. Looking for a hybrid or something with good MPG.
    Hey what do you all think about Chrylser LLC spending $3 billion on new fuel technology to improve fuel efficiency? Something needs to be done because this summer.....wll break some wallets gas wise.

Tags:

2. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord New Member

You guys bitch about $3.75 per gallon of regular gas over there. Come to Europe and see how much it costs here! Last I checked, it was about 1.4 euros per litre, which translates to 5.3 euros per gallon, or close to $8 per gallon.

3. PembsCycer

PembsCycer New Member

I agree, European gas prices are completely f***ed up.

But then again, as long as you/i/we have our trusty pedal companion then why would you want a car?

4. Eden

Eden New Member

yeah - even way back in 1997 when the hubby and I visited England we had to rent a car for a about 2 days (we were on Dartmoor and it was after tourist season was over - there was little to nothing in the way of public trasportation available and the everthing was far apart-everywhere else we prefered to train or walk). We paid more to fill the car with gas after those 2 days, and it was an itty bitty Ford too, than we did to rent the car...

Even at the prices we pay here now we have it easy...

5. BoarderDave

BoarderDave New Member

Yeah for sure.. gas prices anywhere and everywhere suck.. :(

+1 for lame socal prices. :eek:

6. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

The worst part of these prices is that they are not justified by demand outstripping supply. Although there is not a glut of refined fuels on the market, there is a healthy supply. The current high prices are being driven by the speculators. As long as speculation is permitted on necessities, you will always get artificially high prices:mad: :( .

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Good. I hope the gas prices stay up. Doesn't bother me or my family at all.

8. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Gas prices don't hurt me too much with my 42.5 mpg avg 1999 Civic HX. Best non hybrid to get is the 2001 - 2005 Civic HX manual transmission - has 5 star crash rating too, and cruise control.

Got an awesome hitch and hitch bike rack for it!

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

oil price hit $109.00 this morning on the markets.

10. huboon

huboon New Member

Is your last name Bush? But seriously, you must be wealthy enough that you don't mind the higher price of food and other goods as a result of skyrocketing transportation costs.

11. chilln

chilln New Member

What else gets people to not make uneccessary trips in a car or use alternative means (like say, "a novel idea" such as a "bicycle") to cut down on road congestion and poor air quality?

Road congestion is a lot better with less people out driving. (perhaps not where you are if you are fortunate enough)

Air quality is a lot better with less people out driving. (perhaps not where you are if you are fortunate enough)

12. stlblues

stlblues New Member

Are you spending $1300 per month for crappy health insurance? We are.

And I know a couple of people including my brother that are getting 36 to 41 mpg hwy with the new Altima 2.5. We are getting 27 with an 8 passenger Odyssey.

13. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Europe has better mass transportation and has already made some adjustments to fuel.
    If you look at the size of the US as an economic unit it is large in comparison to European countries and disadvantaged the ways the system is currently set up.
    It would take many years to make adjustments in the present transportation system.
    We are dependent on trucking to move goods in the US including food and higher fuel prices means higher everything.
    Hard to say where this will end up but riding your bike to work might be a good start, but is not a solution to the problem.
    Of course if we stop demanding so much oil then the price will drop.

14. alienator

Nice try, but you'll have to think a bit more. See, we do things like consolidate tasks to reduce the number of car trips, ride the bike, walk......oh, hey....we didn't buy a gas pig. Actually we rather enjoy the prices as they are since it offers a great opportunity to laugh at every SUV, land barge, and 4 wheeled prosthetic penis driver whining about gas prices. Maybe you're one of the ones we're laughing at.

See, unlike the great masses of dim witted Americans, we actually realize that oil is a finite resource and will be gone some day. We also realize that there are a lot of important things that come from oil, things that are much more important than gasoline, things like plastics, things used in health care.....

Alas, the time has come whence American no longer have the gods given right to cheap oil. So sad. Golly, it's a wonder that those Europeans and others 'round the world actually survived paying their non-American oil prices. I guess it must suck, for those like you, that are spoiled, pampered, and petulant Americans.

15. BoarderDave

BoarderDave New Member

hahha.. :D I love people like this...

Hopefully you continue to not drive that much. Means there will be less hybrid cars going 50 in the fast lane! Pedal faster boy; here comes a hill. Let's hope the Prius makes it! ;)

-Spoiled car and offroad truck enthusiast

16. huboon

huboon New Member

Afraid I may be more like you than you realize (I am a bicyclist btw). I also grin when I think about the effect on gas guzzlers (again, I am a cyclist who drives a '92 Nissan pickup -- is that too pampered by your utilitarian standard?) but I find it a hollow satisfaction that doesn't match the frustration of Big Oil raking in record profits.

17. alienator

Hooooooweeeee! You sure got me with that one. Alas, I don't need a car or truck to get my dick hard. My condolences to you on that count.

18. velo711

velo711 New Member

Yeah alienator nailed it, at least he calls a spade a spade. There are two lanes on the hiway, one for doing the speed limit, the other for those in a hurry. Mostly the fast lane is filled with land barges and jacked up 4x4s whose ground clearance for some reason seems to be directly proportional to the IQ of the driver.

19. BimmsAndBices

BimmsAndBices New Member

I always find it funny when my fellow Americans complain about $3 gas. Yeah, try Europe. Sure would like one of their sub-1 liter cars over here. Another thing that amuses me is people who use low quality, high sulfer, low lubricant petroleum diesel in their veggy burners. Whatever.

20. stlblues

stlblues New Member

I don't have a choice of driving a truck, I'm a contractor and have to have a truck to move materials and tools, I need 4 wheel drive to get in and out of job sites, its stock height though, but I cant use a Prius or work, and gas prices are a major problem. We traded my wifes SUV for a minivan, 27mpg hwy 20 city, three years ago when prices started up. I also drive an Accord and a motorcycle when I don't need the truck. Our town is very unfriendly to bikes, not just a lack of shoulders and lane width, but extremely hilly, and people gunning to hit you . We usually go to the Katy trail to ride or there is a green way that runs through part of the town, but it is limited in its scope for transportation purpose, It was designed for excercise, not as an alternative to other types of transporation. There are a few buses that run very limited routes and shut down at 6pm and don't run weekends or bad weather, which we get a fair amount. And due to the hills, when we get snow and ice, if you don't have at least on 4x4, you can't get out to work. I have to take my wife to work now and pick her up during winter weather. During one storm last year, it took the street crews 4 days to clear side streets, if it wasnt for my truck, we couldn't have gotten out. In many places like the southern states, there is NO reason for SUVs, but for the central and northern states, they are essential. So gas prices do have an impact. We have combined trips, cut back on speed, stopped eating out almost completely (which effects the economy), cut back on vacations, and bike riding since we have to drive to a place to ride safely.