Crazy Whacko Question(s)

fingergunslngr

Jul 14, 2009
First off, Hello. I'm new to the site, and I just love it, it really revs my engine.

I'm 19 y/o, 6'7", 208 lbs. and fairly new to cycling (3-4 months in). I gots a 21 spd. 3 x 7 Fuji Hybrid bike, its pretty basic, but god dammit its reliable and she's a real looker - its got the right stuff. I started off using the three tallest gears at all times, and now keep it in the 21st gear at all times, because I figure I'm expending maximum effort, and by doing this I'm getting the most out of my
ride - es correct o no!? I usually go for nighttime rides of between 15-27 miles (relatively flat), averaging around 19-21 mph for the duration.

Questions:

What sort of increase in avg. speed/return on effort (if any) could I expect from switching over to a road bike?

Energy drinks (Monster) - worth the delicious taste? As detrimental to your health as they're advertised to be? Effects on performance?

Most hybrid bikes have mountain bike gear ratios. The front chain rings are usually smaller so at the same cadence, the bike will be slower. For example, on my hybrid bike on the large front chain ring and the seventh sprocket on the rear (max'd out) on the flat doing about 75 rpm, I will be doing about 19-20 mph. A road bike will usually have more sprockets on the rear and larger rings (more teeth) on the front. That, combined with generally less weight, equals more speed. There are hybrids with road gear rations (Jamis, Trek, etc.) but they tend to be expensive and there isn't much market for them. Commuters don't go that fast and don't need those gears. I want the road gears on a hybrid to maintain relatively consistent speed on my rides so I intend to buy one soon with road ratios. The reason I ride a hybrid on long rides alone is to avoid flats. I am not as concerned about speed on what I consider "work rides" but I also max out mountain bike gears on the road. I have had people tell me I wouldn't have to work so hard on a road bike. My response is "I am out here to do work". It is different if you intend to spend a lot of time racing.
About the energy drinks, I would avoid them. Complex carbohydrates taken the day before a long ride (pasta, etc.) are a staple of bike diets. It is important to take in food and water while on a long ride. Food should be small amounts often. The old rule is "eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty."

fingergunslngr said:
es correct o no!?

No, you can expend just as much effort and propel the bike just as fast by pedalling quicker in a shorter gear. Many people find that using a modest gear which they can pedal in the 80-95 rpm range helps them avoid knee/joint injury as well.

Learn to use those 21 gears to your advantage, by shifting to a comfortable gear rather than straining to push the tallest gears up hills, and you'll probably find that your speed and endurance actually increase more quickly.

The weight of a bike does not have such a profound effect on the flats as it does in the mountains. I am not saying that a lighter bike will make you fly up the hills but every pound helps. You can generally achieve a more aero position on the road bike and they usually have less rolling resistance due to differnet tires.
In this the road bike can be more effecient but it is impossible to say how much because of the many variables.
The most important thing is fit. If you are uncomfortable riding you won't do as well.

fingergunslngr said:
I'm 19 y/o, 6'7", 208 lbs. and fairly new to cycling (3-4 months in). I gots a 21 spd. 3 x 7 Fuji Hybrid bike, its pretty basic, but god dammit its reliable and she's a real looker - its got the right stuff. I started off using the three tallest gears at all times, and now keep it in the 21st gear at all times, because I figure I'm expending maximum effort, and by doing this I'm getting the most out of my
ride - es correct o no!? I usually go for nighttime rides of between 15-27 miles (relatively flat), averaging around 19-21 mph for the duration.

Questions:

What sort of increase in avg. speed/return on effort (if any) could I expect from switching over to a road bike?

Energy drinks (Monster) - worth the delicious taste? As detrimental to your health as they're advertised to be? Effects on performance?
You will probably gain about 5 KPH by riding a bike with drop bars instead of flat bars for the same expenditure.

I don't know how much faster you'll go if you ride 700x25/700x28 tires vs. 700x42, but it should be a couple more KPH.

You can put drop bars & narrower tires on your bike (you'll probably need different shifters & brake levers ... possibly, new wheels with narrower rims).

I don't know which energy drinks you should use. Water & Cytomax are what I drink when I'm riding.

being a runner, i cycle primarily to cross train and give my joints some relief from the pounding that running causes. i ride a kona lavadome hybrid, and have been thinking about upgrading to a roadbike in the near future. would you recommend it, or does the hybrid suit my needs for the time being? i don't plan on racing anytime soon, and the primary goal of my cycling is to get my body working.