Creaking BB on Six13??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jaguar27, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Has anyone experienced a creaking BB on a six13? Or with the Si Crank/BB set-up?

At first I thought it might be the Pedals, so I put some cheapo Flats on it, still creaking...the Skewers are tight btw...I don't even have to get out of the Saddle for it to creak...

The Bike has only done around 800 miles....

I'll take the Bike into my LBS but I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?

Cheers!!

Tags:

2. Julian Radowsky

Julian Radowsky New Member

Silly question: Does it creak when you are out of the saddle?
    Reason I ask is because I once had a creak that I could swear was coming from the BB, but it actually was the seat post that needed a bit of lubricating.

3. CipoWins42

CipoWins42 New Member

If it's not creaking, it's not really a Cannondale.

If while seated, the creaking could be a carbon seatpost that is breaking.
    It could be many different things. Good luck!

4. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

That's not a silly question at all...it creaks when I'm in or out of the saddle...
    The more pressure the worse it gets...

I found a page from Cannondale last night with a list of trouble shooting tips to cure a creak that "sounds" like it's coming from the BB...it included checking the skewers, saddle, the Post, Handle Bars/Stem...quite a list of stuff because people were wrongly diagnosing the noise as the BB..which I could very well be doing too...

But thanx for the reply...

5. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Thanks!! It creaks when I'm out of the Seat too...

Oh, and it's not a chain rub either...or the Front/rear DA's....

Thanks for the reply!!

6. dhk

dhk New Member

At 800 miles, your new bike is ready for the "break-in" service. Ask the LBS to not only fix the creaking, but check everything on C'dales list. Not usual for a lot of things to loosen after some initial road miles. From the headset preload and stem bolts to the RD hangar, most everything is subject to loosening from initial miles.

Once this initial service is done right, you should be good for thousands of creak-free and trouble-free miles.

7. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Thanks dhk, I have a call into my LBS, I'm just waiting for a reply...

Hopefully he can fit me in this afternoon!!!

8. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Just a quick follow up on my creaking BB...

I took the Bike into my LBS and he fixed the creak while I waited, it was in fact the BB....

I was only wearing sandles and non Cycling shorts when I took it for a test run when it was done so I dropped her into a high gear and rode out of the Saddle for a hundred yards or so...perfect, no creak!!

Thanks for all the replies Guys :)

9. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Did they tell you what they did to stop the creaking? Did they just tighten it up or did they use a thin strip of plumbers tape?

10. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

No, they didn't use any Teflon Tape, they took the Crank Arms and spindle out then tightened it up.....

11. fstweels

fstweels New Member

HI, I have a BB problem which you might know somthing about....

I blew out 2 BBs since January, both were unsealed light weight BBs from American Classic, and worked fine until they developed a creak/grind sound which started out intermittent and eventually ground to a halt within 2mths useage. After the 2nd one blew out, I switched to Token Isis Titatnium BB which are heavier and with sealed bearings. All went well for 2months, until this same creak/grinding sound reappears. Its not seized up yet, but it might anyday. Any idea why this may be re-occuring? I get the creak when I jump out of the saddle or go up steep inclines - so basically when my legs are pushing at maximum with cadence above 70-90rpm. Then it disappears again.

I ride a Custom Ti bike with Campy Chorus 10speed and Amoeba Scud Carbon cranks. Maybe theres an inconpatibility issues somewhere? OR is my Frame bottom brackets threading not correctly aligned? Is there too myuch flex in the frame's bottomn bracket? What the heck is it?

Well if anyone can help, lt me know. Cheers.