Creaking Bontrager Race Xlites

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike Callahan, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. I thought I had seen a previous thread on Bontrager wheels making noise under load. I just got a
    pair, and the rear really does make some noise. Needless to say, now that I need it, I can't find
    the thread. Anyone with any similar experience and/or suggested fixes? I was thinking about waxing
    the spoke crossings?? Thx for any help, Mike

    Tags:

  2. Mac-<< I just got a pair, and the rear really does make some noise.

    We just fixed one by taking the rear apart, cleaning and OILING(use Mobil 1) the two discs, also
    greasing the cart bearings(remove the little rubber sleeve, grease-replace)-

    Also oil where the nipple enters the rim.

  3. "Mike Callahan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I thought I had seen a previous thread on Bontrager wheels making noise under load. I just got a
    > pair, and the rear really does make some noise. Needless to say, now that I need it, I can't find
    > the thread. Anyone with any similar experience and/or suggested fixes? I was thinking about waxing
    > the spoke crossings?? Thx for any help, Mike

    Mike, I had a weird creaking "skritching" noise from a rear wheel (C Record/DT/Mavic Open 4). I
    couldn't figure out what was causing this, until a poster on uk.rec.cycling suggested it was spoke
    nipples moving against the ferrules. This wasn't a suggestion I took terribly seriously (after all,
    the spokes were nice and tight), but I tried the suggested remedy (a drop of blur locktite between
    the nipples and their ferrules), and the noise stopped...

    Robert

  4. just had this problem with a 2002 Mavic Crossmax - a few new spokes (they have the ferrules pressed
    on to them) and the loctite has aparently fixed the problem so far (fingers crossed)

    nick

    news:[email protected]... "Mike Callahan" <[email protected]>