Creaking bottom bracket?

pineapple

Oct 3, 2003
I have a Scott AFD Elite 2003 (low-mid range aluminium road bike) with Tiagra which recently got a new chain and cassette. While riding today I noticed two things:

1. A squeaky chain
2. A creaking noise from the bottom bracket area

The squeaky chain was my own fault. Yesterday I went for a dirty wet ride and couldn't be bothered to clean the chain afterwards. I've since cleaned it and the squeaking has gone.

The creaking noise however is worrying me. I don't think it is coming from the chain - it sounds like the BB but I'm not sure. It only occurs during exertion of pressure on the pedals. Any of you guys have an idea what it might be, and what I might do about it? Could it be because I left the bike dripping wet and dirty last night?

Thanks!

This is very common on all bikes but is louder on alloy frames.

It's almost certainly the bottom bracket. The cassette needs taking out and the threads cleaned and coated with never-seize or copper-coat and replaced.

Less likely but may also be the same thing with pedals or cranks. You have to take the cranks off to do the cassette anyway.

This is going to be a regular thing so you might want to get the tool to do the cassette yourself.

Good Luck. Jay

pineapple said:
I have a Scott AFD Elite 2003 (low-mid range aluminium road bike) with Tiagra which recently got a new chain and cassette. While riding today I noticed two things:

1. A squeaky chain

The squeaky chain was my own fault. Yesterday I went for a dirty wet ride and couldn't be bothered to clean the chain afterwards. I've since cleaned it and the squeaking has gone.

The creaking noise however is worrying me. I don't think it is coming from the chain - it sounds like the BB but I'm not sure. It only occurs during exertion of pressure on the pedals. Any of you guys have an idea what it might be, and what I might do about it? Could it be because I left the bike dripping wet and dirty last night?

Thanks!

Friend has the same bike and experienced a similar issue, creakin noise, appeared to be coming from the bottom bracket. After having all the components checked 3 times by the lbs, the frame was replaced.

This is a sure sign of a BB Stress Factor that may manifest into an internal hairline crack. This is pretty common considering the age and material of your frame. I would start looking for a new bike. Possibly a Carbon One.

Tailwinds,
Vector7
www.token-usa.com

pineapple said:

1. A squeaky chain

Thanks!

I had the EXACT same problem, driving me crazy. I had the BB overhauled, new chain, new pedals, etc....Still creaking. Turns out it was the rear whee/hub! The only time it creaked was standing on a hard climb, or pushing big gear hard. The wheel has a lot of flex, and too much play, and that was causing the noise. Glad I didnt replace the cranks and BB! Check it out.

Mtventoux said:
I had the EXACT same problem, driving me crazy. I had the BB overhauled, new chain, new pedals, etc....Still creaking. Turns out it was the rear whee/hub! The only time it creaked was standing on a hard climb, or pushing big gear hard. The wheel has a lot of flex, and too much play, and that was causing the noise. Glad I didnt replace the cranks and BB! Check it out.
Yep, everything seems to sound like it's coming from the BB. The rear axle skewer and RD hangar bracket (if replaceable) can cause creaking noise too. These are high-stress areas when you're climbing or sprinting out of saddle.

Also worth to check the crankarms carefully. They may need to be removed and retorqued, with fresh coat of grease or Ti prep anti-sieze on the splines.

If you're sure the creak is originating with the BB and if it's a sealed bearing with "press-fit" cups on each side, one thing to try is a thin layer of Lotite 660 on each side of the bearing where the cups slide on and then slide the cups back on. Also, Ti-Prep on threads that hold differing metals (i.e aluminum cups threading onto a Ti frame).

Also, headset creaks can sound like they're coming from the BB.

Your bike is only 2-3 years old, and of good quality. Replacing it from what someone replies to over the internet would be asinine. Before you go buying something you don't need, like Vector7 suggested here :rolleyes:, take off your pedals, grease the threads and tighten them down pretty well. Try that first before letting some jackass panic you with "OMFGWTF, throes away ur frame, d00d!!11!" and before you disassemble the whole drivetrain. From there, you might want to check the dropouts on the fork. You may need to add a little grease on the axle where it meets the dropout, and make sure the QRs are secure, of course not overtight, but secure. You may have to do the same for the rear. If that doesn't work, make sure you have no play in the headset. At that point, if these steps get you nowhere, then you may have to get into the BB and clean, lube and torque. And strangely enough, you might also want to check the seatpost clamp. The saddle rails may need a little grease. Bizarre sounds can come from any place on the bike, and can drive you crazy looking for them, but often they're not what you believe them to be. I had a clicking sound I was convinced was initially coming from the headset, as I heard it only when braking and getting out of the seat with weight on the bars, and it turns out it was the front dropout, so I lubed and tightened as I said above. Another sound I was sure was coming from the BB, but I greased the pedal threads and tightened the pedals down. Both sounds disappeared thereafter. Good luck.

WP33 has some good points ; there are alot of places that a creak can come from and the Park website provides some great steps anyone can take to hunt down creaks.

However, the Loctite 660 application that I described in my first thread is something that can solve a very specific creaking sound but should only be used after you've eliminated other possibilities for creaks - i.e. loose crank bolt, headset, chainring bolts, cleats, etc. - if you tighten and/or lube everything else and you still get a creak, then try the Loctite 660 -- it worked for me when other methods failed.

I have a Campy Record sealed bearing BB - with the bike stationary and the pedal at the bottom of the stroke I could take my foot and press down on the pedal and hear a creak - tightened and lubed everything !! -- still a creak !! I then asked a friend who is a bike mechanic and he recommended the Loctite 660 -- putting a thin coat on the bearing surfaces where the cups "press fit" on -- solved the problem immediately --- when you press down on the spindle there's movement between the bearing and the cup -- the Loctite is an epoxy resin that cures and fills the space --- in essence it creates a tighter fit.

Good Luck !!