Creaking Cannondale FS.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by GearóId Ó Laoi, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. I've had a Cannondale FS for about 6 years. Every now and again (year or two) it starts creaking
    like a dodgy tree, in time with suspension movement. It is not the front or rear suspension but the
    pivot. I cleaned it this weekend. It's a pain to get at as you have to take off chainset and
    dismantle it, and clean all the bits. They get gunk on them. Then re-assemble. Takes more than an
    hour. Now I've silence again. I greased the parts this time. We'll see if it makes a difference.

    Tags:

  2. Hmmmm - this sounds similar to my problem.

    I never usually touch bikes (mechnically) but my current squeking has forced my hand. - when you
    say take off the chainset and dismantle it - what exactly is this ? the chain ? and what are all
    the bits ?

    Pete.

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've had a Cannondale FS for about 6 years. Every now and again (year or two) it starts creaking
    > like a dodgy tree, in time with suspension
    movement.
    > It is not the front or rear suspension but the pivot. I cleaned it this weekend. It's a pain to
    > get at as you have to take off chainset and dismantle it, and clean all the bits. They get gunk on
    > them. Then re-assemble. Takes more than an hour. Now I've silence again. I greased the parts this
    > time. We'll see if it
    makes
    > a difference.

  3. Roger Bogda

    Roger Bogda Guest

    Is it from the bottom bracket area? Had this on my 2.8 road bike, fix was linseed oil down the seat
    tube, it worked....

    Roger B

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've had a Cannondale FS for about 6 years. Every now and again (year or two) it starts creaking
    > like a dodgy tree, in time with suspension
    movement.
    > It is not the front or rear suspension but the pivot. I cleaned it this weekend. It's a pain to
    > get at as you have to take off chainset and dismantle it, and clean all the bits. They get gunk on
    > them. Then re-assemble. Takes more than an hour. Now I've silence again. I greased the parts this
    > time. We'll see if it
    makes
    > a difference.

  4. I take the pivot apart. You need to take off the chainset (drive wheels) to get at one side, on my
    bike. You unscrew with 2 8mm allen keys. It's quite simple. what mine has is

    Big allen key nut - Bearing - rear triangle - washer - front pivot - washer - rear triangle -
    bearing - Big nut.

    You may have to clean and lube your rear suspension spring as well.

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:
    > I take the pivot apart. You need to take off the chainset (drive wheels) to get at one side, on my
    > bike. You unscrew with 2 8mm allen keys. It's quite simple. what mine has is
    >
    > Big allen key nut - Bearing - rear triangle - washer - front pivot - washer - rear triangle -
    > bearing - Big nut.
    >
    > You may have to clean and lube your rear suspension spring as well.

    My Jekyll has only gotten creaky there once -- a good greasing and it hasn't done it since. And, I
    do lots of water crossings and I've put lots of miles on the bike.

    My normal creaks are the rear shock's rear pivot and the seatpost. These usually pop up after lots
    of riding in the rain.

    David