creaking/clicking in rear mavic cosmos wheel

dej

Guest
gday,
my rear wheel has started making a creaking/clicking sound every
revolution..
its a mavic cosmos rim/hub and has done about 7k kms
the sound happens when i pedal and when i dont pedal but seems to stop
if i get outa the saddle and lean forward putting more weight on the
bars..

i took it to the lbs a few weeks back and the guy rekons mavic have
some bit of metal which is used in a join, this breaks off and kinda
rattles around at low speeds (i get the noise up into the high 20's/
low 30's kph)

i thought it was perhaps a dodgy spoke but i looked around a few sites
and saw some posts on open pro's doing the same thing but no real
resolution..

anyone had / resolved this problem?

dej said:
gday,
my rear wheel has started making a creaking/clicking sound every
revolution..
its a mavic cosmos rim/hub and has done about 7k kms
the sound happens when i pedal and when i dont pedal but seems to stop
if i get outa the saddle and lean forward putting more weight on the
bars..

i took it to the lbs a few weeks back and the guy rekons mavic have
some bit of metal which is used in a join, this breaks off and kinda
rattles around at low speeds (i get the noise up into the high 20's/
low 30's kph)

i thought it was perhaps a dodgy spoke but i looked around a few sites
and saw some posts on open pro's doing the same thing but no real
resolution..

anyone had / resolved this problem?
I had the same problem (with the cosmos), from memory oiling the eyelets helped, but it would come back after a few rides. In the end I gave up and bought some new wheels.

On Apr 30, 12:12 pm, dej <[email protected]> wrote:
> gday,
> my rear wheel has started making a creaking/clicking sound every
> revolution..
> its a mavic cosmos rim/hub and has done about 7k kms
> the sound happens when i pedal and when i dont pedal but seems to stop
> if i get outa the saddle and lean forward putting more weight on the
> bars..
>
> i took it to the lbs a few weeks back and the guy rekons mavic have
> some bit of metal which is used in a join, this breaks off and kinda
> rattles around at low speeds (i get the noise up into the high 20's/
> low 30's kph)
>
> i thought it was perhaps a dodgy spoke but i looked around a few sites
> and saw some posts on open pro's doing the same thing but no real
> resolution..
>
> anyone had / resolved this problem?

It could be the joining pin rattling around. No idea of how to fix
it, except to replace the rim or fill it with foam or something :) I
don't think it's the sort of thing you can safely remove - but I don't
know for sure. Sheldon would know .. :)

On Apr 30, 12:53 pm, SomeGuy <SomeGuy.2pu...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> dej Wrote:
>

> > gday,
> > my rear wheel has started making a creaking/clicking sound every
> > revolution..
> > its a mavic cosmos rim/hub and has done about 7k kms
> > the sound happens when i pedal and when i dont pedal but seems to stop
> > if i get outa the saddle and lean forward putting more weight on the
> > bars..

> > i took it to the lbs a few weeks back and the guy rekons mavic have
> > some bit of metal which is used in a join, this breaks off and kinda
> > rattles around at low speeds (i get the noise up into the high 20's/
> > low 30's kph)

> > i thought it was perhaps a dodgy spoke but i looked around a few sites
> > and saw some posts on open pro's doing the same thing but no real
> > resolution..

> > anyone had / resolved this problem?

> I had the same problem (with the cosmos), from memory oiling the
> eyelets helped, but it would come back after a few rides. In the end I
> gave up and bought some new wheels.
>
> --
> SomeGuy- Hide quoted text -

Ditto. I ended up replacing my Cosmos because this noise was driving
me nuts! (Wheels were quite old and worn up anyway)