Creaking Cranks?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jacobe Hazzard, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. I noticed a clicking or snapping while pedaling the other day, intermittent, and more felt than
    heard. The problem slowly worsened, and became more of a creaking sensation, and more audible. Today
    I pulled off the cranks, cleaned out all the points of attachment, greased the threads, and put them
    back on with a torque wrench, to 150 ft lbs I think. This actually made the problem worse. What
    should I do? Can I tighten much more? Do I need to replace the cranks/BB? BTW this is a hybrid bike
    frame with flat plastic pedals. Thanks for tips,

    Adam

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Adam? Jacobe Hazzard writes:

    > I noticed a clicking or snapping while pedaling the other day, intermittent, and more felt than
    > heard. The problem slowly worsened, and became more of a creaking sensation, and more audible.
    > Today I pulled off the cranks, cleaned out all the points of attachment, greased the threads, and
    > put them back on with a torque wrench, to 150 ft lbs I think.

    I don't think you did that because an 8mm screw won't take more than a small part of that torque.
    However, when you say clicking, I think of a different source, although creaking may really be the
    true character of the sound.

    > This actually made the problem worse. What should I do? Can I tighten much more? Do I need to
    > replace the cranks/BB? BTW this is a hybrid bike frame with flat plastic pedals.

    I don't know what "flat plastic pedals" are. However, clicking snapping sounds are usually caused by
    water intrusion in ball bearings as rust develops. In that respect, I would look first in the BB
    bearings, then the pedals, although most pedals, being blind holes, do not take up water easily. If
    your cranks were running loose, you should be able to detect that as you re-install them. When
    pushed on by hand, they would have a rotationally wobbly fit (with one crank tight), the left one
    more than the right.

    Since you seem to be unfamiliar with this sort of problem, your description of the symptoms may not
    convey the same picture that others reading it see. Keep us posted.

  3. "Jacobe Hazzard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I noticed a clicking or snapping while pedaling the other day, intermittent, and more felt than
    > heard. The problem slowly worsened, and became more of a creaking sensation, and more audible.
    > Today I pulled off the cranks, cleaned out all the points of attachment, greased the threads, and
    > put them back on with a torque wrench, to 150 ft lbs I think. This actually made the problem
    > worse. What should I do? Can I tighten much more? Do I need to replace the cranks/BB? BTW this is
    > a hybrid bike frame with flat plastic pedals. Thanks for tips,
    >
    > Adam

    I had creaking once, and it turned out that the bottom bracket was too tight. If you take the chain
    off and spin the cranks, do they spin freely?

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    >I noticed a clicking or snapping while pedaling the other day, intermittent, and more felt than
    >heard. The problem slowly worsened, and became more of a creaking sensation, and more audible.
    >Today I pulled off the cranks, cleaned out all the points of attachment, greased the threads, and
    >put them back on with a torque wrench, to 150 ft lbs I think.

    150ft/lbs is a lot. are you sure about that number? 150 inch pounds is not tight enough, if that is
    the scale you use. It is pretty safe to use 35ft/lbs as a torque setting for cranks. Tighten them
    properly the first time and then leave them alone.

    >This actually made the problem worse. What should I do? Can I tighten much more? Do I need to
    >replace the cranks/BB? BTW this is a hybrid bike frame with flat plastic pedals.

    I would check the pedals and the BB to see if the bearings are good before I would start to
    replace parts.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  5. Alex Rodriguez wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >>

    >> I noticed a clicking or snapping while pedaling the other day, intermittent, and more felt than
    >> heard. The problem slowly worsened, and became more of a creaking sensation, and more audible.
    >> Today I pulled off the cranks, cleaned out all the points of attachment, greased the threads, and
    >> put them back on with a torque wrench, to 150 ft lbs I think.
    >
    > 150ft/lbs is a lot. are you sure about that number? 150 inch pounds is not tight enough, if that
    > is the scale you use. It is pretty safe to use 35ft/lbs as a torque setting for cranks. Tighten
    > them properly the first time and then leave them alone.
    >
    >> This actually made the problem worse. What should I do? Can I tighten much more? Do I need to
    >> replace the cranks/BB? BTW this is a hybrid bike frame with flat plastic pedals.
    >
    > I would check the pedals and the BB to see if the bearings are good before I would start to
    > replace parts.
    > -----------------
    > Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

    Thanks guys. I'm not sure about the actual torque I used, but I did this with a friend and he seemed
    pretty confident it was a good number. As for your questions, the crank does not feel wobbly, and
    yes it does spin freely. My thinking is that if adjusting the crank made the problem worse, then
    that must be where the problem was to begin with but today I will take a look at the BB bearings and
    pedals and all.

    Adam

  6. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Jacobe Hazzard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I noticed a clicking or snapping while pedaling the other day,
    intermittent,
    > and more felt than heard. The problem slowly worsened, and became more of
    > creaking sensation, and more audible. Today I pulled off the cranks,
    cleaned
    > out all the points of attachment, greased the threads, and put them back
    on
    > with a torque wrench, to 150 ft lbs I think. This actually made the problem worse. What should I
    > do? Can I tighten much more? Do I need to replace the cranks/BB? BTW this is a hybrid bike frame
    > with flat plastic pedals. Thanks for tips,
    >
    > Adam

    You might want to take off the rear wheel, remove the cassette, grease the freehub splines, and
    reassemble, making sure the lockring is tight. This worked for me (input from Peter Chisolm on a
    similar post) when I thought I had a crank creak.....

  7. Grenouil wrote:
    > "Jacobe Hazzard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I noticed a clicking or snapping while pedaling the other day, intermittent, and more felt than
    >> heard. The problem slowly worsened, and became more of a creaking sensation, and more audible.
    >> Today I pulled off the cranks, cleaned out all the points of attachment, greased the threads, and
    >> put them back on with a torque wrench, to 150 ft lbs I think. This actually made the problem
    >> worse. What should I do? Can I tighten much more? Do I need to replace the cranks/BB? BTW this is
    >> a hybrid bike frame with flat plastic pedals. Thanks for tips,
    >>
    >> Adam
    >>

    > You might want to take off the rear wheel, remove the cassette, grease the freehub splines, and
    > reassemble, making sure the lockring is tight. This worked for me (input from Peter Chisolm on a
    > similar post) when I thought I had a crank creak.....

    I have a freewheel not a freehub, and also it was recently replaced. Not sure if this makes it more
    or less suspect, but I can't see how a freewheel could come loose with normal use (or cranks really,
    for that matter). The ratcheting is quiet and smooth, but I will consider this as well.

    Adam

  8. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Jacobe Hazzard wrote:
    > Grenouil wrote:
    >
    >>"Jacobe Hazzard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>I noticed a clicking or snapping while pedaling the other day, intermittent, and more felt than
    >>>heard. The problem slowly worsened, and became more of a creaking sensation, and more audible.
    >>>Today I pulled off the cranks, cleaned out all the points of attachment, greased the threads, and
    >>>put them back on with a torque wrench, to 150 ft lbs I think. This actually made the problem
    >>>worse. What should I do? Can I tighten much more? Do I need to replace the cranks/BB? BTW this is
    >>>a hybrid bike frame with flat plastic pedals. Thanks for tips,
    >>>
    >>>Adam
    >>>

    >>You might want to take off the rear wheel, remove the cassette, grease the freehub splines, and
    >>reassemble, making sure the lockring is tight. This worked for me (input from Peter Chisolm on a
    >>similar post) when I thought I had a crank creak.....
    >

    > I have a freewheel not a freehub, and also it was recently replaced. Not sure if this makes it
    > more or less suspect, but I can't see how a freewheel could come loose with normal use (or cranks
    > really, for that matter). The ratcheting is quiet and smooth, but I will consider this as well.
    >
    > Adam

    Another thing to check is the seatpost. Most of the time, my BB creak is actually my seatpost
    needing to be lubed. Mark/measure the height, pull it, wipe it clean, apply a thin layer of grease,
    put it back, wipe off the excess grease :).

    David

  9. David Kunz wrote:

    > Another thing to check is the seatpost. Most of the time, my BB creak is actually my seatpost
    > needing to be lubed. Mark/measure the height, pull it, wipe it clean, apply a thin layer of
    > grease, put it back, wipe off the excess grease :).
    >
    > David

    I can make the creak while standing. I am hoping to repack the BB today and get this sorted, didn't
    have time yesterday.

    Adam

  10. Today I repacked the BB with new bearings and grease (it was pretty groady) and repeated my cleaning
    of the cranks and torqued them on at 250 inch-pounds. Worked perfectly.

    Thanks for all the posts, although there were so many suggestions for what might be creaking I
    thought for a while it might as easily be me!

    Adam

    Jacobe Hazzard wrote:
    > I noticed a clicking or snapping while pedaling the other day, intermittent, and more felt than
    > heard. The problem slowly worsened, and became more of a creaking sensation, and more audible.
    > Today I pulled off the cranks, cleaned out all the points of attachment, greased the threads, and
    > put them back on with a torque wrench, to 150 ft lbs I think. This actually made the problem
    > worse. What should I do? Can I tighten much more? Do I need to replace the cranks/BB? BTW this is
    > a hybrid bike frame with flat plastic pedals. Thanks for tips,
    >
    > Adam

  11. Java Man

    Java Man Guest