Creaking handle bars,,,

ThEdge

Dec 30, 2011
Hi all!
I get a very loud creak from the handle bars,particularly when I'm working hard on the peddles.
It is most noticeable when the weather is cold or wet, even more so when cold and wet.
Any suggestions? Thanks

Presumably, everything which needs to be tight is ... and, properly lubed, too ...

Having said that, I don't have an immediate answer or solution to your dilemma, but knowing what kind of handlebars AND what type of stem ([COLOR= #808080]quill[/COLOR][COLOR= #808080] or [/COLOR][COLOR= #808080]threadless?[/COLOR]) your bike has may prompt a better reply from someone else.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

Presumably, everything which needs to be tight is ... and, properly lubed, too ...

Having said that, I don't have an immediate answer or solution to your dilemma, but knowing what kind of handlebars AND what type of stem ([COLOR= #808080]quill[/COLOR][COLOR= #808080] or [/COLOR][COLOR= #808080]threadless?[/COLOR]) your bike has may prompt a better reply from someone else.
Yes, I should have stated these things in the first post, Thanks alfeng...
threadless headset, all tweaked up to correct torque loading etc....

A lot of the time you think its the handle bars or headset when it is really the seatpost. Make sure there is plenty of grease and it is tightened properly.