Creaking headset........help please!!!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by cyclingnz, Feb 3, 2006.

1. cyclingnz

cyclingnz New Member

My problem is I have runout of ideas to stop my headset from creaking. Some of the history is:
    1. Original headset was a Campag record which was in the bike for 7 years with no problems until this started to creak. This was due to the bearings going from water leaking into headset. The bearing races were pitting therefore decided to install a new headset. The headset is the old style threaded. :eek:
    2. The local bike shop installed a FSA headset, this would not stay tighten. By the end of a Sunday ride it was loose and needed to be tighten. This resuled in three trips to the LBS with no success. A decision was made to install another headset from Shimano this time. :(
    3. The Shimano headset does not come loose but it creaks out on the road. Back to the LBS and a different type of bearing installed. This lasted for 3 hours on the road before the creaking started again. I have been back to LBS with no further success. :mad:
    Any ideas what could be causing this?

Tags:

2. Deanster04

Deanster04 New Member

Does the noise happen when you are pulling on the bars in any way? If you are using a quill stem it might be the stem creaking in the steering tube. I had that problem on an old threaded stem bike when I switched quill stems. I fixed it with a shim made from a "Red Bull" Al can. That stopped the creaking forever. I still have the bike and it doesn't creak even on mt climbs.