Creaking Headset-Stem

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ravi

I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
King headset) and have even replaced my stem.

However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
years of riding.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?

I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it in
place (performance brand).

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>
>I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
>creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
>creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
>riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
>King headset) and have even replaced my stem.
>
>However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
>should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
>years of riding.
>
>Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
>
>I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
>wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it
>in place (performance brand).

Hollow tubes are a great sound conduit. The noise could be coming from somewhere else. Have you
checked your handlebars? Your fork? Your frame? The hub? All are potential sources of noice.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

Ravi at [email protected] wrote on 4/29/03 11:05 AM:

> Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?

A common misdiagnosed creak from that area actually comes from the front wheel's quick release. Try
opening it and cleaning/lubing the cam then closing it back up. Not only will it operate better - it
won't creak.

-Ueyn

Ravi wrote:
> I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
> creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
> creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
> riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
> King headset) and have even replaced my stem.
>
> However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
> should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
> years of riding.
>
>
Try rec.bicycles.tech. This is not the place to find your answer.

"Ravi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
> creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
> creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
> riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
>
> However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
> should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
> years of riding.
>
>
> I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
> wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it
> in place (performance brand).

"Ravi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> years of riding.
>
>
> I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
> wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it
> in place (performance brand).

Try greasing the handlebar where it's fixed to the stem. Works for me.

Hjalmar

Ravi-<< I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris King headset) and have
even replaced my stem.

Look for cracks in the handlebar, where the stem attaches to it.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Hjalmar Duklæt wrote:
> "Ravi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
>>creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
>>creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
>>riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
>>King headset) and have even replaced my stem.
>>
>>However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
>>should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
>>years of riding.
>>
>>Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
>>
>>I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
>>wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it
>>in place (performance brand).
>
>
> Try greasing the handlebar where it's fixed to the stem. Works for me.
>
> Hjalmar
>

Try greasing the **not-obvious** parts of handlebar/stem hardware. I was in despair over ever
finding my creak, changed bars, no luck -

then I greased **under the head** of the stem binder bolt (threaded headset). This stopped the
creak, while greasing the binder, threads, handlebar/stem contact, etc., didn't.

Good luck,
--
Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply
==========================================================

Status
Not open for further replies.