Creaking Headset-Stem

Ravi

Guest
I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
King headset) and have even replaced my stem.

However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
years of riding.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?

I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it in
place (performance brand).

>I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
>creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
>creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
>riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
>King headset) and have even replaced my stem.
>
>However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
>should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
>years of riding.
>
>Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
>
>I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
>wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it
>in place (performance brand).

Hollow tubes are a great sound conduit. The noise could be coming from somewhere else. Have you
checked your handlebars? Your fork? Your frame? The hub? All are potential sources of noice.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

Ravi at [email protected] wrote on 4/29/03 11:05 AM:

> Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?

A common misdiagnosed creak from that area actually comes from the front wheel's quick release. Try
opening it and cleaning/lubing the cam then closing it back up. Not only will it operate better - it
won't creak.

-Ueyn

Ravi wrote:
> I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
> creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
> creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
> riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
> King headset) and have even replaced my stem.
>
> However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
> should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
> years of riding.
>
> Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?

Try rec.bicycles.tech. This is not the place to find your answer.

"Ravi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
> creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
> creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
> riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
> King headset) and have even replaced my stem.
>
> However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
> should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
> years of riding.
>
> Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
>
> I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
> wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it
> in place (performance brand).

"Ravi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
> creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
> creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
> riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
> King headset) and have even replaced my stem.
>
> However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
> should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
> years of riding.
>
> Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
>
> I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
> wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it
> in place (performance brand).

Try greasing the handlebar where it's fixed to the stem. Works for me.

Hjalmar

Ravi-<< I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris King headset) and have
even replaced my stem.

Look for cracks in the handlebar, where the stem attaches to it.

Hjalmar Duklæt wrote:
> "Ravi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
>>creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
>>creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
>>riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
>>King headset) and have even replaced my stem.
>>
>>However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
>>should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
>>years of riding.
>>
>>Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
>>
>>I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
>>wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it
>>in place (performance brand).
>

> Try greasing the handlebar where it's fixed to the stem. Works for me.
>
> Hjalmar

Try greasing the **not-obvious** parts of handlebar/stem hardware. I was in despair over ever
finding my creak, changed bars, no luck -

then I greased **under the head** of the stem binder bolt (threaded headset). This stopped the
creak, while greasing the binder, threads, handlebar/stem contact, etc., didn't.

Good luck,
--
Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply