Creaking Headset-Stem

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ravi, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Ravi

    Ravi Guest

    I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
    creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
    creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
    riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
    King headset) and have even replaced my stem.

    However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
    should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
    years of riding.

    Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?

    I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
    wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it in
    place (performance brand).

    >I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
    >creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
    >creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
    >riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
    >King headset) and have even replaced my stem.
    >
    >However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
    >should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
    >years of riding.
    >
    >Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
    >
    >I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
    >wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it
    >in place (performance brand).

    Hollow tubes are a great sound conduit. The noise could be coming from somewhere else. Have you
    checked your handlebars? Your fork? Your frame? The hub? All are potential sources of noice.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  3. Ueyn Block

    Ueyn Block Guest

    Ravi at [email protected] wrote on 4/29/03 11:05 AM:

    > Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?

    A common misdiagnosed creak from that area actually comes from the front wheel's quick release. Try
    opening it and cleaning/lubing the cam then closing it back up. Not only will it operate better - it
    won't creak.

    -Ueyn

  4. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Ravi wrote:
    > I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
    > creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
    > creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
    > riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
    > King headset) and have even replaced my stem.
    >
    > However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
    > should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
    > years of riding.
    >
    > Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?

    Try rec.bicycles.tech. This is not the place to find your answer.

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Ravi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
    > creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
    > creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
    > riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
    > King headset) and have even replaced my stem.
    >
    > However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
    > should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
    > years of riding.
    >
    > Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
    >
    > I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
    > wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it
    > in place (performance brand).

  6. "Ravi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
    > creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
    > creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
    > riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
    > King headset) and have even replaced my stem.
    >
    > However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
    > should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
    > years of riding.
    >
    > Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
    >
    > I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
    > wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it
    > in place (performance brand).

    Try greasing the handlebar where it's fixed to the stem. Works for me.

    Hjalmar

  7. Ravi-<< I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris King headset) and have
    even replaced my stem.

    Look for cracks in the handlebar, where the stem attaches to it.

  8. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    Hjalmar Duklæt wrote:
    > "Ravi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I ride a 1996 Trek OCLV 5200 frame with a threaded headset. For some reason, I have a constant
    >>creaking noise coming from the headtube area. When I remove the stem, re-grease and replace, the
    >>creaking goes away (temporarily) or at least dies down a bit. However, after a few days days of
    >>riding, the noise comes back. I have recently had my headset replaced by a bike shop (with a Chris
    >>King headset) and have even replaced my stem.
    >>
    >>However, after no creaking for a few days, the noise has started again! It seems odd that I
    >>should have to lube the stem that often as on my previous bike I never had this problem after
    >>years of riding.
    >>
    >>Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
    >>
    >>I keep the stem very tight and use a heavy grease (bearing grease) as the lube. My stem is a
    >>wedge-quill type of stem, so it has a wedge that slides up as I tighten the allen bolt to hold it
    >>in place (performance brand).
    >

    > Try greasing the handlebar where it's fixed to the stem. Works for me.
    >
    > Hjalmar

    Try greasing the **not-obvious** parts of handlebar/stem hardware. I was in despair over ever
    finding my creak, changed bars, no luck -

    then I greased **under the head** of the stem binder bolt (threaded headset). This stopped the
    creak, while greasing the binder, threads, handlebar/stem contact, etc., didn't.

    Good luck,
    --
    Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply