Creaking in my headset

dm69

Jan 24, 2006
I recnetly flipped my stem and took out three spacers to get a more raceworthy position, my flexibilty has also greatly improved of late. Maybe this had always happened before I flipped the stem but I am very concious of it at the moment. My stem or my headset or something in there is rattling when I go over bumps...I recently had an offroad experience on some rough dirt roads on the road bike and there was some loud "banging" noise in there.

It seems very strange and I am a tad worried I will have to bring my baby in to the LBS for a few repairs.

dm69 said:
I recnetly flipped my stem and took out three spacers to get a more raceworthy position, my flexibilty has also greatly improved of late. Maybe this had always happened before I flipped the stem but I am very concious of it at the moment. My stem or my headset or something in there is rattling when I go over bumps...I recently had an offroad experience on some rough dirt roads on the road bike and there was some loud "banging" noise in there.

It seems very strange and I am a tad worried I will have to bring my baby in to the LBS for a few repairs.

Even after flipping the A-head stem you can and should put back the spacers (that is if you didnt cut the steerer). You need the spacers to fill up the gap between the steerer, stem and headset in order for the topcap (the one with a bolt on top) to properly compress these against the head tube.

Well thankyou very much ;) . It worked, no creaking! thanks again.