Creaking Looks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Cyclpsycho, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Cyclpsycho

    Cyclpsycho Guest

    My pedals are driving me crazy!!!!! They are Look 396 pedals with the red cleat. I have the
    float set at 3. I've put a little grease on them. It works, but it doesn't last long. I noticed
    three black marks on the cleats -- one right above each side mounting screw and one right across
    the rubber insert. PLEASE HELP!! It's very annoying and makes my Litespeed sound like I bought
    it at K-mart!

    Tags:

  2. "Cyclpsycho" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > My pedals are driving me crazy!!!!! They are Look 396 pedals with the
    red
    > cleat. I have the float set at 3. I've put a little grease on them.
    It
    > works, but it doesn't last long. I noticed three black marks on the
    cleats --
    > one right above each side mounting screw and one right across the rubber insert. PLEASE HELP!!
    > It's very annoying and makes my Litespeed sound
    like
    > I bought it at K-mart!

    I guess Looks just do that. I solved the problem by bying Speedplay ;o)

    On my winterbike, I still use Look however, and they creak like crazy. Rubbing the cleats and pedals
    with a candle helps for a while. I guess I'll be bying a second pair of Speedis though...

    HB

  3. How old are the cleats? They do tend to start creaking after a while. Sorry, but it's a
    characteristic of the species. One thing else you might try, though, is put some grease (or wax) on
    the screws, the t-nuts they screw into, or even between the cleat and the shoe. Sometimes this is
    the source of the noise.

    Usually, though, it's play in the cleat/clip interface.

  4. Bob Flumere

    Bob Flumere Guest

    On 26 Jun 2003 21:51:05 GMT, [email protected] (Cyclpsycho) wrote:

    >My pedals are driving me crazy!!!!! They are Look 396 pedals with the red cleat. I have the
    >float set at 3. I've put a little grease on them. It works, but it doesn't last long. I noticed
    >three black marks on the cleats -- one right above each side mounting screw and one right across
    >the rubber insert. PLEASE HELP!! It's very annoying and makes my Litespeed sound like I bought
    >it at K-mart!

    PAM Works great,lasts a long time, but you may attract more dogs..

    [email protected]

  5. Eric Murray

    Eric Murray Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Cyclpsycho
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >My pedals are driving me crazy!!!!! They are Look 396 pedals with the red cleat. I have the float
    >set at 3. I've put a little grease on them. It works, but it doesn't last long.

    Worn cleats squeak. Dirty pedals squeak. Black cleats squeak less than red ones.

    I switched from my ancient shimano-look 7401s to SPD-SL pedals this year. No squeak and easier to
    get into. Lighter too.

    Eric

  6. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    Cyclpsycho at [email protected] wrote on 6/26/03 2:51 PM:

    > My pedals are driving me crazy!!!!! They are Look 396 pedals with the red cleat. I have the
    > float set at 3. I've put a little grease on them. It works, but it doesn't last long. I noticed
    > three black marks on the cleats -- one right above each side mounting screw and one right across
    > the rubber insert. PLEASE HELP!! It's very annoying and makes my Litespeed sound like I bought
    > it at K-mart!

    This subject has cropped up now and again, so there will some references to it if you use
    Google Groups.

    Basically, many theories abound, but here are a couple points which seem to make a difference:

    Cleats are one size, shoes have more. Small shoes seem more problematic to make noise. SIDI's (my
    personal ex-squeakers are G-3's) have a plastic plate between the cleat and the sole of the shoe.
    (The one which you can switch out if you want to use a different mounting system such as SPD,
    Time, etc.)

    Between those two variables, slight flexing seems to occur, causing a fairly nasty noise. You can
    literally feel it in your feet. This is a little different animal than just the cleat-against-pedal
    squeak which seems to occur with worn cleats.

    Ok - here's what worked for me:

    Shoes are 43's, which seem to mate really nicely to the base of the cleats. So, I didn't think that
    was the problem.

    The adapter plate seemed to have a very slight flex in it when mounted. So, I removed cleat and then
    the plate. Took about a 1" x 1" bit of ain't-gonna-patch-it inner tube and trimmed it to fit inside
    the mount holes. Used the slightly longer mount screws that came with the cleat (rather than the
    sligthly shorter ones which came with the shoes) to remount
    it.

    So far, I'm into my second pair of cleats with nary a squeak. I'm probably jinxing the whole damned
    thing by writing it out, but it was a nasty noise once upon a time...

    hope that works!

    -- Jim

  7. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    I solved my creak by tightening the screws as hard as i could.

    "Cyclpsycho" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My pedals are driving me crazy!!!!! They are Look 396 pedals with the
    red
    > cleat. I have the float set at 3. I've put a little grease on them.
    It
    > works, but it doesn't last long. I noticed three black marks on the
    cleats --
    > one right above each side mounting screw and one right across the rubber insert. PLEASE HELP!!
    > It's very annoying and makes my Litespeed sound
    like
    > I bought it at K-mart!

  8. In article <[email protected]>, "Ronald"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I solved my creak by tightening the screws as hard as i could.
    >
    > "Cyclpsycho" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My pedals are driving me crazy!!!!! They are Look 396 pedals with the
    > red
    > > cleat. I have the float set at 3. I've put a little grease on them.
    > It
    > > works, but it doesn't last long. I noticed three black marks on the
    > cleats --
    > > one right above each side mounting screw and one right across the rubber insert. PLEASE HELP!!
    > > It's very annoying and makes my Litespeed sound
    > like
    > > I bought it at K-mart!

    Why do people continue to buy Look pedals? You will always be fighting the creak, and there are
    better pedals out there!

    Buying Look pedals is the most sure way to show that you are an undiscriminating cycling consumer.

  9. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On 26 Jun 2003 21:51:05 GMT, [email protected] (Cyclpsycho) wrote:

    >My pedals are driving me crazy!!!!! They are Look 396 pedals with the red cleat. I have the
    >float set at 3. I've put a little grease on them. It works, but it doesn't last long. I noticed
    >three black marks on the cleats -- one right above each side mounting screw and one right across
    >the rubber insert. PLEASE HELP!! It's very annoying and makes my Litespeed sound like I bought
    >it at K-mart!

    Pledge spray wax. Just spray on and around the cleats and let it dry; creaking is gone.

  10. Greg Hall

    Greg Hall Guest

    I posted this on rbt earlier this year:

    Tried Pledge, Armour All, Tri Flow, White Lightening, Campy grease but nothing seemed to work long
    term except for total cleat replacement. Have since tried a suggestion I saw on cyclingforum that
    suggested sandpapering. So I got out the Dramel tool and using low revs, lightly sanded the dark
    contact areas on the bottom of the cleat until the spots were removed. Seems to have worked for me
    though the cleats do require touch up with the sander every once in a while.

    Greg Hall

    [email protected] (Cyclpsycho) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My pedals are driving me crazy!!!!! They are Look 396 pedals with the red cleat. I have the
    > float set at 3. I've put a little grease on them. It works, but it doesn't last long. I noticed
    > three black marks on the cleats -- one right above each side mounting screw and one right across
    > the rubber insert. PLEASE HELP!! It's very annoying and makes my Litespeed sound like I bought
    > it at K-mart!

  11. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    Cyclpsycho wrote:
    > My pedals are driving me crazy!!!!! They are Look 396 pedals with the red cleat. I have the
    > float set at 3. I've put a little grease on them. It works, but it doesn't last long. I noticed
    > three black marks on the cleats -- one right above each side mounting screw and one right across
    > the rubber insert. PLEASE HELP!! It's very annoying and makes my Litespeed sound like I bought
    > it at K-mart!

    For me the problem is clearly the very front edge (vertical edge, about
    4mm) of the cleat. When it gets shiny and black (on a red cleat), I get a squeak.

    I gather from other posts that the "squeak point" varies from person to person.

    Waxing and/or greasing this point on cleat and pedal helps for a while.

    Gently roughing the cleat with medium fine sandpaper solves the problem for much longer. Care must
    be taken not to remove much plastic.

    --
    Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply

  12. Andrew Karre

    Andrew Karre Guest

    After awhile, I understood the squeek pretty well. It was saying "Speedplay, Speedplay." When I
    answered the call, the noise ended.

    Until then, I replaced cleats every 2k, used cleat covers religiously when walking, and sprayed the
    pedal decks with lube. Still, after awhile, I had to buy new cleats or go insane. It gets worse as
    the pedal decks wear, too.

    When will Look make a change to a nearly two decade-old system that's run its useful life?

    Andrew Karre

    [email protected] (Cyclpsycho) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My pedals are driving me crazy!!!!! They are Look 396 pedals with the red cleat. I have the
    > float set at 3. I've put a little grease on them. It works, but it doesn't last long. I noticed
    > three black marks on the cleats -- one right above each side mounting screw and one right across
    > the rubber insert. PLEASE HELP!! It's very annoying and makes my Litespeed sound like I bought
    > it at K-mart!

  13. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > Why do people continue to buy Look pedals?

    I like them and only got a creak once, i use them on three pairs of shoes and two pairs of pedals
    without problems. Every pedalsystem has it's pros and cons. Did you ever use Looks? The cyclingworld
    is full of bs-stories like don't get this or that because it sucks while a lot of these problems are
    caused by people who don't know how to use/adjust it or get the wrong stuff for their purpose.
    Unfortunately these people usually make the most noise.

    "chiefhiawatha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Ronald"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I solved my creak by tightening the screws as hard as i could.
    > >
    > > "Cyclpsycho" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > My pedals are driving me crazy!!!!! They are Look 396 pedals with
    the
    > > red
    > > > cleat. I have the float set at 3. I've put a little grease on them.
    > > It
    > > > works, but it doesn't last long. I noticed three black marks on the
    > > cleats --
    > > > one right above each side mounting screw and one right across the
    rubber
    > > > insert. PLEASE HELP!! It's very annoying and makes my Litespeed
    sound
    > > like
    > > > I bought it at K-mart!
    >
    > Why do people continue to buy Look pedals? You will always be fighting the creak, and there are
    > better pedals out there!
    >
    > Buying Look pedals is the most sure way to show that you are an undiscriminating cycling consumer.

  14. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    Cyclpsycho wrote:
    > My pedals are driving me crazy!!!!! They are Look 396 pedals with the red cleat. I have the float
    > set at 3. I've put a little grease on them. It works, but it doesn't last long.

    Before every ride, put a dab of grease on the part of the pedal that contacts the front tip of the
    cleat (not the platform). It's a PITA, but it works.

    The squeaking is worse when pedaling hard. On a recent ride, my left cleat started creaking as I
    approached a long climb. I stopped and put a bit of sun screen on the pedal. It was totally silent
    for the rest of the day.

    Using cleat covers when off the bike will delay the onset of squeaking and extend overal cleat life.
    (I cringe to think of it, but I've actually seen people drag their Look cleats along the ground when
    stopping!)

    Art Harris

  15. Andrew Karre <[email protected]> wrote:
    > After awhile, I understood the squeek pretty well. It was saying "Speedplay, Speedplay." When I
    > answered the call, the noise ended.

    > Until then, I replaced cleats every 2k, used cleat covers religiously when walking, and sprayed
    > the pedal decks with lube. Still, after awhile, I had to buy new cleats or go insane. It gets
    > worse as the pedal decks wear, too.

    > When will Look make a change to a nearly two decade-old system that's run its useful life?

    Pedals are a matter of personal choice. I rather like that Look has managed to keep the same system
    for about 18 years, even adding features (adj. tension, float with red cleats) while keeping
    compatibility between all pedals and cleats. If nothing else, it makes it easy to pick up a cheap
    spare pair for the second bike.

    Also, contrast that with other makers - for example, Time road pedals are nice, but they just
    completely switched systems and people have been complaining of limited availability on the old
    cleats, etc. Give Look some credit for not taking the planned-obsolescence route.

  16. Cyclpsycho

    Cyclpsycho Guest

    Thanks to all that responded!! Here's what I ended up doing: I first cleaned all the road crap and
    grease out of the pedals with isopropyl alcohol. I filed and Dremeled the black spots and I took the
    shine off the front edge of the cleat with sandpaper.

    I went out for a 30 mile hard ride and they were quiet the whole time!!! I didn't like the idea of
    grease on them, because that will just attract more crud possibly complicating the matter.

    By the way . . . I went back to Look pedals because I got pissed at Time for discontinuing there old
    style system. Look has always remained the same.

  17. Eric

    Eric Guest

    I don't have any experience with Look pedals, and from what everyone else has posted, there is most
    likely a fundamental flaw with them. However, I'll pass along my experience with SPDs
    creaking/squeaking...

    I was having lots of problems when I switched to clipless, mostly with foot "toe in" position. I got
    it to a point that felt OK, but caused a lot of squeek. I found that if I twisted my feet a little
    bit, I could make the squeak stop. After making one final adjustment to the cleat to adjust the "toe
    in" correctly, I haven't had any problems. It now is a good way for me to check that I'm pedaling
    correctly (mostly when I'm tired).

    Don't know if this helps or not. Hope so.

    Eric

    [email protected] (Cyclpsycho) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks to all that responded!! Here's what I ended up doing: I first cleaned all the road crap and
    > grease out of the pedals with isopropyl alcohol. I filed and Dremeled the black spots and I took
    > the shine off the front edge of the cleat with sandpaper.
    >
    > I went out for a 30 mile hard ride and they were quiet the whole time!!! I didn't like the idea of
    > grease on them, because that will just attract more crud possibly complicating the matter.
    >
    > By the way . . . I went back to Look pedals because I got pissed at Time for discontinuing there
    > old style system. Look has always remained the same.

  18. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Cyclpsycho wrote:
    > Thanks to all that responded!! Here's what I ended up doing: I first cleaned all the road crap and
    > grease out of the pedals with isopropyl alcohol. I filed and Dremeled the black spots and I took
    > the shine off the front edge of the cleat with sandpaper.
    >
    > I went out for a 30 mile hard ride and they were quiet the whole time!!! I didn't like the idea of
    > grease on them, because that will just attract more crud possibly complicating the matter.

    There is the risk of that, true, but a little grease makes the float work better (when using
    red cleats).

    In my experience, only the combination of brand new pedals plus brand new cleats creaked. After one
    is worn a bit, no more creaks.

    ~PB

  19. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    "Pete Biggs" wrote:
    > In my experience, only the combination of brand new pedals plus brand new cleats creaked.

    Yikes! In my experience, that's the only combination that DOESN'T squeak.

    Art Harris

  20. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Pete Biggs" wrote:
    > > In my experience, only the combination of brand new pedals plus brand
    new
    > > cleats creaked.
    >
    > Yikes! In my experience, that's the only combination that DOESN'T squeak.
    >
    > Art Harris

    Use a chapstick to apply a film around the cleat.

    Dashii