Creaking noise from shoe/pedal

B. Schneider

Guest
I have Shimano SPD road pedal with iQ ATB shoes. After less 100 miles, first the left and now both
shoes started to make a creaking noise. (The noise resembles the noise of walking in very cold
snow.) I have made sure that the cleats are properly attached to the shoes and that there is nothing
loose on the pedals. I tried greasing the cleats, with little success.

Any ideas for how to eliminate that annoying noise ?

Thanks, Bengt.

Are you sure that its the cleats and not the bottom bracket?

"B. Schneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... I have
Shimano SPD road pedal with iQ ATB shoes. After less 100 miles, first the left and now both shoes
started to make a creaking noise. (The noise resembles the noise of walking in very cold snow.) I
have made sure that the cleats are properly attached to the shoes and that there is nothing loose on
the pedals. I tried greasing the cleats, with little success.

Any ideas for how to eliminate that annoying noise ?

Thanks, Bengt.

"B. Schneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have Shimano SPD road pedal with iQ ATB shoes. After less 100 miles, first the left and now both
> shoes started to make a creaking noise. (The noise resembles the noise of walking in very cold
> snow.) I have made sure that the cleats are properly attached to the shoes and that there is
> nothing loose on the pedals. I tried greasing the cleats, with little success.
>
> Any ideas for how to eliminate that annoying noise ?

It may be the pedal rubbing on the sole just under (above) the cleat, try lubricating the
plastic there.

Pretty sure, I rode the bike with regular sneakers (not recommended on those pedals) and the noise
went away.

"twotreks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Are you sure that its the cleats and not the bottom bracket?
>

> "B. Schneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... I have
> Shimano SPD road pedal with iQ ATB shoes. After less 100 miles,
first
> the left and now both shoes started to make a creaking noise. (The noise resembles the noise of
> walking in very cold snow.) I have made sure that
the
> cleats are properly attached to the shoes and that there is nothing loose
on
> the pedals. I tried greasing the cleats, with little success.
>
> Any ideas for how to eliminate that annoying noise ?
>
> Thanks, Bengt.

Good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks, Bengt.

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "B. Schneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I have Shimano SPD road pedal with iQ ATB shoes. After less 100 miles,
first
> > the left and now both shoes started to make a creaking noise. (The noise resembles the noise of
> > walking in very cold snow.) I have made sure that
the
> > cleats are properly attached to the shoes and that there is nothing
loose on
> > the pedals. I tried greasing the cleats, with little success.
> >
> > Any ideas for how to eliminate that annoying noise ?
>
> It may be the pedal rubbing on the sole just under (above) the cleat, try lubricating the
> plastic there.

Just in case anybody encounters the same problem: It turned out to be cleat. I removed the cleat,
greased the screws and the cleat where it touches the shoe. Now everything is nice and quiet again.