Creaking noise

Fraser312

Mar 16, 2008
I recently had trouble with the rear gear system on my bike (refer to this post), and the following parts were replaced in an effort to find the problem: chainring, cranks, chain, rear der., bearings, and cabling. The problem was finally fixed by replacing the cassette, and the entire gear system now runs perfectly.

The new problem: every so often (it's now happened two or three times within the last month or so), the chainring loosens a bit and becomes pretty shaky. Tightening the chainring works for a while before it needs retightening. In addition to this, after a few days, I start to hear a creaking noise coming from the chainring region when pedalling the bike. Tightening the chainring bolt hard and applying WD-40 around the area supresses the creaking issue for a while, but it comes back after some 50 miles or so.

Is there anything I can do myself to attempt to remedy the issue before I have to trot off to the bike shop again?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers,
Fraser

Fraser312 said:
I recently had trouble with the rear gear system on my bike (refer to this post), and the following parts were replaced in an effort to find the problem: chainring, cranks, chain, rear der., bearings, and cabling. The problem was finally fixed by replacing the cassette, and the entire gear system now runs perfectly.

The new problem: every so often (it's now happened two or three times within the last month or so), the chainring loosens a bit and becomes pretty shaky. Tightening the chainring works for a while before it needs retightening. In addition to this, after a few days, I start to hear a creaking noise coming from the chainring region when pedalling the bike. Tightening the chainring bolt hard and applying WD-40 around the area supresses the creaking issue for a while, but it comes back after some 50 miles or so.

Is there anything I can do myself to attempt to remedy the issue before I have to trot off to the bike shop again?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers,
Fraser

If the whole crank is coming loose, whether square taper, octalink or ISIS, good chance the crank has 'wallowed' and is damaged and will not remain tight. ONLY fix is replacement of the crank, installing the new one properly.

Fraser312 said:

FYI. If you cannot sufficiently tighten your chainring bolts with whatever method you have been using, there is a "tool" [bascially, a specialized pin wrench] which you can use to hold the nut in place as you tighten the bolt ... that's why there are two notches on the 'head' of the nut.

When I have a bolt that is slipping as I tighten it, I just grab a small screwdriver & press the tip against one of the notches while I tighten the bolt.

Some chainring bolts which use a TORX wrench for the bolt may also use an ALLEN wrench on the nut -- remember, using a tool on the rear is generally optional (i.e., used as needed)

You could buy a set of alloy chainring bolts ... they tend to slip less.

BTW. The nut may actually be too long for the bolt ... you can make-and/or-put a washer on the nut side to help you snug up the bolt.

alfeng said:
FYI. If you cannot sufficiently tighten your chainring bolts with whatever method you have been using, there is a "tool" [bascially, a specialized pin wrench] which you can use to hold the nut in place as you tighten the bolt ... that's why there are two notches on the 'head' of the nut.

When I have a bolt that is slipping as I tighten it, I just grab a small screwdriver & press the tip against one of the notches while I tighten the bolt.

Some chainring bolts which use a TORX wrench for the bolt may also use an ALLEN wrench on the nut -- remember, using a tool on the rear is generally optional (i.e., used as needed)

You could buy a set of alloy chainring bolts ... they tend to slip less.

BTW. The nut may actually be too long for the bolt ... you can make-and/or-put a washer on the nut side to help you snug up the bolt.

Alloy also break more. grease onto the nut and bolt and a proper tool at the back helps.