creaking PT SL hub

frenk

Jun 28, 2003
Hi all,
a couple of months ago I got a brand new PT SL that I laced 3x with 32 dt comp spokes to a dt rr 1.1 rim.
Now the wheel started making a creaking/ticking noise when I pedal, not loud but I can hear it.
I think I isolated the problem, IMO the noise comes from the spokes/hub flange interface.

Did someone experience this problem? Any suggestion is welcome!

TIA

Frenk

frenk said:
Now the wheel started making a creaking/ticking noise when I pedal, not loud but I can hear it.
Are you 100% sure it's the wheel? I was positive that my SL was coming apart (sounded terrible) and in the end it turned out to be the replacable derailleur hanger that was loose.

Also check the eyelets on your DT rim - the rim is known to crack around them and this may be the source of your creaking.

Yes, I'm sure it's the hub flange/spoke interface that produces the noise.
I can reproduce it by grabbing and pulling together two leading (or trailing) spokes on the same side (mostly on the non-drive side).

As I said the noise is *not* loud, but sometimes I hear it and it's annoying.

You could always try a little light lube at the spoke/flange. I've had bars/stems, seatposts, bottom brackets, pedals, and reflectors (before I ripped them off) all make creaking noise, but never spokes. Good luck!

-Pete

P.S. My girlfriend and I spent a week in Sessa a few years ago and got into Lugano...we loved the Ticino area. Seemed like a great place to train.

frenk said:
Yes, I'm sure it's the hub flange/spoke interface that produces the noise.
I can reproduce it by grabbing and pulling together two leading (or trailing) spokes on the same side (mostly on the non-drive side).

As I said the noise is *not* loud, but sometimes I hear it and it's annoying.
You may not need lubrication at all but rather a retensioning of the wheel. You can use either tone from plucked spokes or a gauge and verify/create even tensioning on spokes on the right and on lower but even tensioning on the left side, then verify that none of the spokes are too loose on the left side.