Creaking seatpost

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Peter R ., Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Peter R .

    Peter R . Guest

    Hey,

    Anyone got a magic cure for a creaking seatpost. I've ttried everything I know of. Cleaning,
    greasing (three different kinds of grease, although not at the same time), different seatposts
    (including one I KNOW didn't creak on the previous bike), changing saddles, you get the picture.
    Short of getting another bike, what else could I try ?

    Thanks girls and guys

    Peter R.

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Hey,
    >
    > Anyone got a magic cure for a creaking seatpost. I've ttried everything I know of. Cleaning,
    > greasing (three different kinds of grease, although not at the same time), different seatposts
    > (including one I KNOW didn't creak on the previous bike), changing saddles, you get the picture.
    > Short of getting another bike, what else could I try ?

    Finding the REAL source of the creak?

    Bill "first guesses: seat post clamp or pivots if fs" S.

  3. Peter R .

    Peter R . Guest

    It's the seatpost....It IS the seatpost. If I stop pedaling it goes away. If I pedal out of the
    saddle it goes away. If I don't pedal while out of the seatpost it goes away. If I grease the
    seatpost it goes away....for 10 miles.

    Peter R.

  4. Josh

    Josh Guest

    "Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's the seatpost....It IS the seatpost. If I stop pedaling it goes away. If I pedal out of the
    > saddle it goes away. If I don't pedal while out of the seatpost it goes away. If I grease the
    > seatpost it goes away....for 10 miles.
    >
    > Peter R.

    Check all the frame tubes for stress cracks or marks.

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Peter R. wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > Anyone got a magic cure for a creaking seatpost. I've ttried everything I know of. Cleaning,
    > greasing (three different kinds of grease, although not at the same time), different seatposts
    > (including one I KNOW didn't creak on the previous bike), changing saddles, you get the picture.
    > Short of getting another bike, what else could I try ?

    I you SURE that it's the seatpost? Could be the seat itself, the rails, your suspension pivots,
    headset, and the list goes on...

    David

  6. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Peter R. wrote:
    > It's the seatpost....It IS the seatpost. If I stop pedaling it goes away. If I pedal out of the
    > saddle it goes away. If I don't pedal while out of the seatpost it goes away. If I grease the
    > seatpost it goes away....for 10 miles.

    Last time that I had those symptoms, I had cracked the frame at the seatpost.

    David

  7. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:gprt9vgnqulu6b6cug0ro[email protected]...
    > It's the seatpost....It IS the seatpost. If I stop pedaling it goes away. If I pedal out of the
    > saddle it goes away. If I don't pedal while out of the seatpost it goes away. If I grease the
    > seatpost it goes away....for 10 miles.

    Ahhhh, but you didn't say that last part last time.

    Frame crack :)

    Seriously, when you said that MULTILPLE seat posts creak, that pretty much eliminates the seat post
    as the source. (Same goes for saddles.)

    I still suggest cleaning/greasing the seat post collar/clamp/bolt/nut/whazzit area, as well as any
    rear shock interfaces (if applicable).

    Bill "hates creaks' guts" S.

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's the seatpost....It IS the seatpost. If I stop pedaling it goes away. If I pedal out of the
    > saddle it goes away. If I don't pedal while out of the seatpost it goes away. If I grease the
    > seatpost it goes away....for 10 miles.
    >
    > Peter R.

    Turn the radio up.

    Mike - well it works for my Ford pickup. ;^)

  9. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:36:21 -0400, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> It's the seatpost....It IS the seatpost. If I stop pedaling it goes away. If I pedal out of the
    >> saddle it goes away. If I don't pedal while out of the seatpost it goes away. If I grease the
    >> seatpost it goes away....for 10 miles.
    >>
    >> Peter R.
    >
    >Turn the radio up.
    >
    >Mike - well it works for my Ford pickup. ;^)

    makes since, considering it's a Ford. But tis true, just crank up the tunes and you'll forget about
    it soon enough.

    Dave (or not)

  10. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:37:32 GMT, Peter R. <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hey,
    >
    >Anyone got a magic cure for a creaking seatpost.

    pixie dust

    bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    :-]

  11. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Peter R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Hey, Anyone got a magic cure for a creaking seatpost. I've ttried everything I know of. Cleaning,
    > greasing (three different kinds of grease, although not at the same time), different seatposts
    > (including one I KNOW didn't creak on the previous bike), changing saddles, you get the picture.
    > Short of getting another bike, what else could I try ?

    The most likely cause is the clamp, not the seatpost itself. Save yourself the headache, get a
    Thomson and never suffer again.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  12. Scott G.

    Scott G. Guest

    > Anyone got a magic cure for a creaking seatpost. I've ttried everything I know of. Cleaning,
    > greasing (three different kinds of grease, although not at the same time), different seatposts
    > (including one I KNOW didn't creak on the previous bike), changing saddles, you get the picture.
    > Short of getting another bike, what else could I try

    i have the same problem. i spray the rails and the base of the seat with wd-40 b4 each ride....fixed
    the problem.

  13. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:37:32 GMT, Peter R. <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hey,
    > >
    > >Anyone got a magic cure for a creaking seatpost.
    >
    > pixie dust

    Dammit Bill! I go through more keyboards that way!!!

    LOL!

    Mike

  14. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:55:24 -0400, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> >Hey,
    >> >
    >> >Anyone got a magic cure for a creaking seatpost.
    >>
    >> pixie dust
    >>

    >Dammit Bill! I go through more keyboards that way!!!
    >
    >LOL!
    >
    >Mike

    D'oh! send me the bill.

    :-]