creaking sound on bike

ciclamino

Jun 25, 2003
my bike has been making a creaking noise when riding, sometimes with every pedal stroke. i recently rode in the rainand i'm wondering if this has anything to do with it. i thought it might be the clamp on the stem so i put some grease on it (also on the seat post) but nothing doing. still have the noise. anyone out there know what's up?

Creaks can be due loose wheels, seat, seatpost, stem, crank, or bottom bracket (bb). You should try to re-tighten all of these items.

Most commonly, after these are checked, the problem is with the bb. That is, if all are tight, then the bearings in the bb may need cleaning and a re-grease, or maybe replacement.

Regards, Robert

I had this problem with my bike. I finally figured out it was coming from my stem/head tube articulation. I pulled out my quill stem from the head tube and noticed it was as dry as a bone. I placed a little lube on the part of the stem that goes into the head tube....and then reinserted the stem and tightened. The problem was instantly corrected.

Another area you may want to investigate is the areas where the spokes cross and touch each other. You could try to put a drop of lube at these areas and see if that works.

Good luck.

Originally posted by ciclamino
my bike has been making a creaking noise when riding, sometimes with every pedal stroke. i recently rode in the rainand i'm wondering if this has anything to do with it. i thought it might be the clamp on the stem so i put some grease on it (also on the seat post) but nothing doing. still have the noise. anyone out there know what's up?