creaking, ticking sound with certain rear cogs

Stefan Geysen

Guest
Hello,

I'm experiencing an annoying problem with a 10 month old "Diamant Albon"
racebike with Campagnolo Veloce 9-speed group (triple front chainring).
There is a creaking, ticking noice, it sounds a bit like a loose saddle or
spoke, but it only manifests itself on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th smallest cog
(doesn't matter which front chainring is selected and is there whether I'm
in the saddle or not, but stops when I stop pedaling). A bit of searching on
the net suggests the cassette lockring could use some tightening, any other
suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Stefan

Stefan Geysen wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm experiencing an annoying problem with a 10 month old "Diamant Albon"
> racebike with Campagnolo Veloce 9-speed group (triple front chainring).
> There is a creaking, ticking noice, it sounds a bit like a loose saddle
> or spoke, but it only manifests itself on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th smallest
> cog (doesn't matter which front chainring is selected and is there
> whether I'm in the saddle or not, but stops when I stop pedaling). A bit
> of searching on the net suggests the cassette lockring could use some
> tightening, any other suggestions?
> Thanks in advance,
> Stefan

I think you are on the right track. I would also pull the casette and
put a very light coat of grease on the cassette body. Make sure that
everything goes on in the correct orientation and with the spacers
correctly placed. Also give the threads of the cassette lockring a
coating of grease before torquing it to specification. Make sure that
the casette cogs are all secure... if you have a chain whip you can put
some leverage into each cog... just to make sure.
http://www.chainreaction.com/noises.htm
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/creaking_and_squeaking.shtml are
worth a look as well.

--

"Stefan Geysen" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I'm experiencing an annoying problem with a 10 month old "Diamant Albon"
> racebike with Campagnolo Veloce 9-speed group (triple front chainring).
> There is a creaking, ticking noice, it sounds a bit like a loose saddle or
> spoke, but it only manifests itself on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th smallest cog
> (doesn't matter which front chainring is selected and is there whether I'm
> in the saddle or not, but stops when I stop pedaling). A bit of searching

on
> the net suggests the cassette lockring could use some tightening, any

other
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Stefan

Then try to tighten it and report the result.
It may also be the body of the cassette. Remove the cassette with the
appropriate tool and turn the body and hold it close to the ear.

Bert L.

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

stefg-<< There is a creaking, ticking noice, it sounds a bit like a loose
saddle or
spoke, but it only manifests itself on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th smallest cog
>><BR><BR>

a wee bit of grease on the outside of the freehub and tighten the lockring
tight!!

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.