Creaking with new Campy Record Crank

Jeff

Guest
This is driving me crazy. I have a used Serotta Ti road frame and a new 2008
model Campy Record CF Crank with the external bearings.

....and a terrible creak/clicking that is almost certainly coming from the
crank area somewhere.

The noise sounds like it is in the bearings to me. It isn't a single click,
but some more constant noise that sounds like a bad bearing.

....but again, all parts are new.

The noise occurs at higher speeds regardless of whether I'm standing or
sitting, whether pedaling with one foot or both (although worse with both),
and it seems to still occur if I'm up to higher speed (>22mph or so), and
then back off on the force to the pedals (as long as they are still
spinning - if I stop spinning, the noise stops). It also seems to be there
if I simply pull up on the pedals without pushing down (not as loud, but
it's there). At lower speeds, (around 10-12) I don't hear it.

I've already re-greased the pedal threads (but since it is still happening
with using only one pedal at a time, I wouldn't think it was the pedals),
re-greased and re-torqued the chainring bolts, and re-greased and re-torqued
the crank bolt that holds the two crank sides together.

I did not (yet) re-check the torque or re-grease the external bearing cups,
but I did use a torque wrench when installing them, and I have antiseize on
the threads. I did not face the BB shell, figuring that a multi-thousand
dollar frame would already be faced properly (but it was used).

I suppose that it's possible that I have a slight bit more than the
recommended torque on the external bearning cups. I'm wondering whether
these things are sensitive to binding somehow if torqued too much.

I plan to pull the cups back out and re-install, but was wondering if others
could tell me if I'm missing anything, and whether there is anything else to
check. How likely would it be to have Campy record external bearings be back
out of the package?

Thanks for any advice you could offer

Jeff <[email protected]> wrote:

Tjeck the cable guide under the bottombracket
Tjeck the cable bosses on the headtube.

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>

Merlin Works CR-3/2.5 & Campagnolo Chorus 2007.

"Morten Reippuert Knudsen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jeff <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Tjeck the cable guide under the bottombracket
> Tjeck the cable bosses on the headtube.

Good ideas. ...don't think it could be the cable guide since it's new and I
tightened it down pretty well, and noise from the cable bosses - I think
would sound like it was coming from a different place. ... figured that I
would try out that BB tap and facing tool I bought 2nd hand a few years ago
and never used. ...was a pain to use (I can see why so many frames don't
come with faced bbs), but I got it working. The threads are now much cleaner
and the external cups went back in much easier. ...and I think that the
facing on one side may have been a good bit off. ...at least it appeared to
be less than flat and to took awhile of turning until the cutter finally cut
into that side. ...that titanium is hard stuff, it goes very slowly. ...got
done too late to test it, but I'll take a short ride tomorrow and see if the
noise has stopped. I can't imagine what else it could be.

I also cleaned the new chain for the first time - it still had the factory
rust protection on as I was in too much of a hurry to take it off. ...can't
imagine that this would cause the noises that I heard, but I'm sure that the
good oil will make the thing sound quieter than thick factory stuff.

Jeff

On Oct 25, 6:59 pm, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> This is driving me crazy. I have a used Serotta Ti road frame and a new 2008
> model Campy Record CF Crank with the external bearings.
>
> ...and a terrible creak/clicking that is almost certainly coming from the
> crank area somewhere.
>
> The noise sounds like it is in the bearings to me. It isn't a single click,
> but some more constant noise that sounds like a bad bearing.
>
> ...but again, all parts are new.
>
> The noise occurs at higher speeds regardless of whether I'm standing or
> sitting, whether pedaling with one foot or both (although worse with both),
> and it seems to still occur if I'm up to higher speed (>22mph or so), and
> then back off on the force to the pedals (as long as they are still
> spinning - if I stop spinning, the noise stops). It also seems to be there
> if I simply pull up on the pedals without pushing down (not as loud, but
> it's there). At lower speeds, (around 10-12) I don't hear it.
>
> I've already re-greased the pedal threads (but since it is still happening
> with using only one pedal at a time, I wouldn't think it was the pedals),
> re-greased and re-torqued the chainring bolts, and re-greased and re-torqued
> the crank bolt that holds the two crank sides together.
>
> I did not (yet) re-check the torque or re-grease the external bearing cups,
> but I did use a torque wrench when installing them, and I have antiseize on
> the threads. I did not face the BB shell, figuring that a multi-thousand
> dollar frame would already be faced properly (but it was used).
>
> I suppose that it's possible that I have a slight bit more than the
> recommended torque on the external bearning cups. I'm wondering whether
> these things are sensitive to binding somehow if torqued too much.
>
> I plan to pull the cups back out and re-install, but was wondering if others
> could tell me if I'm missing anything, and whether there is anything else to
> check. How likely would it be to have Campy record external bearings be back
> out of the package?
>
> Thanks for any advice you could offer

Install the right side bearing c-clip?
Grease the spindle?
Wee bit of grease on the hirth teeth?

Swap pedals and see or ride w/o cycling shoes. Spin the bearings when
it unassembled to make sure the bearings are smooth.

Are you sure it's a 2008 crank?(tiny joke as the 2008 and 2007 are
identical)

Most of the time we hear noise that the rider swears is in the BB,
it's somewhere else...pedals being the most common cause for noise.
Since youyrs is noissy at higher speeds, i suspect something else.

On Oct 25, 6:59 pm, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> This is driving me crazy. I have a used Serotta Ti road frame and a new 2008
> model Campy Record CF Crank with the external bearings.
>
> ...and a terrible creak/clicking that is almost certainly coming from the
> crank area somewhere.
>
> The noise sounds like it is in the bearings to me. It isn't a single click,
> but some more constant noise that sounds like a bad bearing.
>
> ...but again, all parts are new.
>
> The noise occurs at higher speeds regardless of whether I'm standing or
> sitting, whether pedaling with one foot or both (although worse with both),
> and it seems to still occur if I'm up to higher speed (>22mph or so), and
> then back off on the force to the pedals (as long as they are still
> spinning - if I stop spinning, the noise stops). It also seems to be there
> if I simply pull up on the pedals without pushing down (not as loud, but
> it's there). At lower speeds, (around 10-12) I don't hear it.
>
> I've already re-greased the pedal threads (but since it is still happening
> with using only one pedal at a time, I wouldn't think it was the pedals),
> re-greased and re-torqued the chainring bolts, and re-greased and re-torqued
> the crank bolt that holds the two crank sides together.
>
> I did not (yet) re-check the torque or re-grease the external bearing cups,
> but I did use a torque wrench when installing them, and I have antiseize on
> the threads. I did not face the BB shell, figuring that a multi-thousand
> dollar frame would already be faced properly (but it was used).

Right....

Also check for grease on the crank bolt and make sure it is tight!! A
check by the boys at Campag USA saw that most of these installed by '
'feel' were undertorqued.

> I suppose that it's possible that I have a slight bit more than the
> recommended torque on the external bearning cups. I'm wondering whether
> these things are sensitive to binding somehow if torqued too much.
>
> I plan to pull the cups back out and re-install, but was wondering if others
> could tell me if I'm missing anything, and whether there is anything else to
> check. How likely would it be to have Campy record external bearings be back
> out of the package?
>
> Thanks for any advice you could offer

Also hope you used the wavy washer.

I had a creak after my install of the new Record crank and fixed it by
taping the external cup threads with plumber's tape and correctly
torqueing the bolt.

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Install the right side bearing c-clip?
> Grease the spindle?
> Wee bit of grease on the hirth teeth?
>
> Swap pedals and see or ride w/o cycling shoes. Spin the bearings when
> it unassembled to make sure the bearings are smooth.

It's still there after all my work last night. ...and it's horrible. ...not
just a single click on each revolution, but constant clicking or similar
noise.

The right side c-clip is there and installed correctly in the holes.

The spindle has grease.

I assume that the "hirth teeth" are the things between the two parts of the
axle - I didn't specifically look, but I'm sure that it has grease there as
it's new and I wouldn't have wiped any grease off. I had grease everywhere
when I reinstalled last night.

Spinning the bearings without a chain installed sounds fine. When I got on
the bike today, it sounded great for a few minutes until I got up to speed
and started pushing just slightly (and really not much).

The crank bolt has plenty of grease on both the threads and the shoulder.

I've checked the cable guide under the bb shell and it seems fine.

The wavy washer was already inside of the left external cup (I think left),
there is only one on one side correct?

I checked the bb shell width and it was within campy specs.

I just pulled off the pedals and put old plastic ones on and the same thing
is occuring without clipless pedals and shoes.

I installed absolutely everything with a torque wrench to campy specs.

It occurs if I pull up on the pedals without pushing down at all and not
placing any side to side or downward force on the frame itself. I.e., I
can't imagine how it could be anything related to the frame.

I can't imagine what else this is other than a bad bearing even though new.

....anything else to check before I go and by a new set of bearings? ...are
all of the campy ones the same?

....and I guess that it is the gruppo that is 2008 - apprarently the front
derailleur was changed a bit, but I guess that the crank is the same as the
2007. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks.

Jeff

"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> ...anything else to check before I go and by a new set of bearings?
> ...are all of the campy ones the same?

> Jeff

So now that I'm reading more, it seems that one can't simply buy a new set
of bearings for this crank as they require specialized tools to remove the
old ones and press on the new ones. Correct? Do the LBSs have these tools?

Jeff

Jeff wrote:

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>> Install the right side bearing c-clip?
>> Grease the spindle?
>> Wee bit of grease on the hirth teeth?
>>
>> Swap pedals and see or ride w/o cycling shoes. Spin the bearings when
>> it unassembled to make sure the bearings are smooth.

> It's still there after all my work last night. ...and it's horrible.
> ...not just a single click on each revolution, but constant clicking or
> similar noise.
>
> The right side c-clip is there and installed correctly in the holes.
>
> The spindle has grease.
>
> I assume that the "hirth teeth" are the things between the two parts of
> the axle - I didn't specifically look, but I'm sure that it has grease
> there as it's new and I wouldn't have wiped any grease off. I had grease
> everywhere when I reinstalled last night.
>
> Spinning the bearings without a chain installed sounds fine. When I got
> on the bike today, it sounded great for a few minutes until I got up to
> speed and started pushing just slightly (and really not much).
>
> The crank bolt has plenty of grease on both the threads and the shoulder.
>
> I've checked the cable guide under the bb shell and it seems fine.
>
> The wavy washer was already inside of the left external cup (I think
> left), there is only one on one side correct?
>
> I checked the bb shell width and it was within campy specs.
>
> I just pulled off the pedals and put old plastic ones on and the same
> thing is occuring without clipless pedals and shoes.
>
> I installed absolutely everything with a torque wrench to campy specs.
>
> It occurs if I pull up on the pedals without pushing down at all and not
> placing any side to side or downward force on the frame itself. I.e., I
> can't imagine how it could be anything related to the frame.
>
> I can't imagine what else this is other than a bad bearing even though new.
>
> ...anything else to check before I go and by a new set of bearings?
> ...are all of the campy ones the same?
>
> ...and I guess that it is the gruppo that is 2008 - apprarently the
> front derailleur was changed a bit, but I guess that the crank is the
> same as the 2007. Thanks for the clarification.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff

Did you test with another rear wheel. I had a similar creak and after a
lot of 'research' I found out that the bearings of the freehub body
caused this creak. I never had thought that this could make such a noise.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

On Oct 26, 10:44 am, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
> messagenews:[email protected]...
>
> > Install the right side bearing c-clip?
> > Grease the spindle?
> > Wee bit of grease on the hirth teeth?

> > Swap pedals and see or ride w/o cycling shoes. Spin the bearings when
> > it unassembled to make sure the bearings are smooth.

> It's still there after all my work last night. ...and it's horrible. ...not
> just a single click on each revolution, but constant clicking or similar
> noise.
>
> The right side c-clip is there and installed correctly in the holes.
>
> The spindle has grease.
>
> I assume that the "hirth teeth" are the things between the two parts of the
> axle - I didn't specifically look, but I'm sure that it has grease there as
> it's new and I wouldn't have wiped any grease off. I had grease everywhere
> when I reinstalled last night.
>
> Spinning the bearings without a chain installed sounds fine. When I got on
> the bike today, it sounded great for a few minutes until I got up to speed
> and started pushing just slightly (and really not much).
>
> The crank bolt has plenty of grease on both the threads and the shoulder.
>
> I've checked the cable guide under the bb shell and it seems fine.
>
> The wavy washer was already inside of the left external cup (I think left),
> there is only one on one side correct?
>
> I checked the bb shell width and it was within campy specs.
>
> I just pulled off the pedals and put old plastic ones on and the same thing
> is occuring without clipless pedals and shoes.
>
> I installed absolutely everything with a torque wrench to campy specs.
>
> It occurs if I pull up on the pedals without pushing down at all and not
> placing any side to side or downward force on the frame itself. I.e., I
> can't imagine how it could be anything related to the frame.
>
> I can't imagine what else this is other than a bad bearing even though new.
>
> ...anything else to check before I go and by a new set of bearings? ...are
> all of the campy ones the same?
>
> ...and I guess that it is the gruppo that is 2008 - apprarently the front
> derailleur was changed a bit, but I guess that the crank is the same as the
> 2007. Thanks for the clarification.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff

Check that your Quick Releases are tight. I know this seems too
obvious, but a surprising number of times it does the trick.

> Did you test with another rear wheel. I had a similar creak and after a
> lot of 'research' I found out that the bearings of the freehub body caused
> this creak. I never had thought that this could make such a noise.
>
> Lou

No, I haven't tested with another wheel. Good idea, because I did have a
problem with some noise there until I put some grease under the cassette.
....but the hubs (and the rest of the wheels) are new.

....not sure how I'll test because my other bikes are shimano other than my
tandem, but that's a 9 speed and the hub spacing is 145 instead of 130.

I guess that I could probably put a 9 speed Shimano wheel on the 10 speed
campy and not shift the chain just to test?

or is there a better way?

Jeff

Jeff wrote:
>> Did you test with another rear wheel. I had a similar creak and after a
>> lot of 'research' I found out that the bearings of the freehub body caused
>> this creak. I never had thought that this could make such a noise.
>>
>> Lou

> No, I haven't tested with another wheel. Good idea, because I did have a
> problem with some noise there until I put some grease under the cassette.
> ...but the hubs (and the rest of the wheels) are new.
>
> ...not sure how I'll test because my other bikes are shimano other than my
> tandem, but that's a 9 speed and the hub spacing is 145 instead of 130.
>
> I guess that I could probably put a 9 speed Shimano wheel on the 10 speed
> campy and not shift the chain just to test?
>
> or is there a better way?
>
> Jeff

One gear will do, for a test.

Lou
--

On Oct 26, 9:03 am, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > ...anything else to check before I go and by a new set of bearings?
> > ...are all of the campy ones the same?
> > Jeff

> So now that I'm reading more, it seems that one can't simply buy a new set
> of bearings for this crank as they require specialized tools to remove the
> old ones and press on the new ones. Correct? Do the LBSs have these tools?
>
> Jeff

The bearings are available and a decent shop will have them and the
tools to replace them. If the bearings feel OK, I think it's something
else but of course, w/o seeing it, hard to diagnose.

"Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Did you test with another rear wheel. I had a similar creak and after a
> lot of 'research' I found out that the bearings of the freehub body caused
> this creak. I never had thought that this could make such a noise.
>
> Lou

Thanks Lou,

You called it correctly. I could have sworn the noise was coming from the
crank area. ...put that other wheel on and it stopped.

....still not sure precisely what it was, but I disassembled the cogset,
cleaned it, and reassembled making sure that I used a torque wrench and now
it's gone.

....great sound of silence. ...entire bike was just dead silent last night.
Just in time for a century or more today. I really didn't want to listen to
that noise for 5-6 hours.

Jeff wrote:

> "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Did you test with another rear wheel. I had a similar creak and after
>> a lot of 'research' I found out that the bearings of the freehub body
>> caused this creak. I never had thought that this could make such a noise.
>>
>> Lou

> Thanks Lou,
>
> You called it correctly. I could have sworn the noise was coming from
> the crank area. ...put that other wheel on and it stopped.
>
> ...still not sure precisely what it was, but I disassembled the cogset,
> cleaned it, and reassembled making sure that I used a torque wrench and
> now it's gone.
>
> ...great sound of silence. ...entire bike was just dead silent last
> night. Just in time for a century or more today. I really didn't want to
> listen to that noise for 5-6 hours.

Glad it's solved. A Ti bike is so nice. It is like you said: dead silent.
;-)

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)