creaky aluminium handlebars

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ric, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Ric

    Ric Guest

    Any tips to stop creaks from the stem-bar join on aluminium handlebars?

    Tags:

  2. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

  3. andrewnyc

    andrewnyc New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2003
    Coat the stem with a little grease where it enters the headtube/fork.

    Andrew

  4. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Ric <[email protected]> said:
    > Any tips to stop creaks from the stem-bar join on aluminium handlebars?

    Take the bars out and make sure the places where the stem and bar contact are *really* clean with no
    grit. Then put them back together nice and tight. If the stem is steel a bit of anti-seize is
    probably a good idea.

    This cured it for me anyway. Some bits of sand had got into the stem/bar join when I put them
    together the first time and made a terrible noise.

    Regards,

    -david, squeak free

  5. Ben

    Ben Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:09:05 +0000 (UTC), David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ric <[email protected]> said:
    >> Any tips to stop creaks from the stem-bar join on aluminium handlebars?
    >
    >Take the bars out and make sure the places where the stem and bar contact are *really* clean with
    >no grit. Then put them back together nice and tight. If the stem is steel a bit of anti-seize is
    >probably a good idea.

    Ickle bit of copper grease will work a treat.
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us." ***** replace
    'spam' with 'ben' to reply *****

  6. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "David Nutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ric <[email protected]> said:
    > > Any tips to stop creaks from the stem-bar join on aluminium handlebars?
    >
    > Take the bars out and make sure the places where the stem and bar contact are *really* clean with
    > no grit. Then put them back together nice and
    tight.
    > If the stem is steel a bit of anti-seize is probably a good idea.
    >
    > This cured it for me anyway. Some bits of sand had got into the stem/bar join when I put them
    > together the first time and made a terrible noise.

    Fankin' you. I'll give it a go as my mtb seems to have developed various creaks over the winter, bit
    like me really.

    Pete

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Ric wrote:
    > Any tips to stop creaks from the stem-bar join on aluminium handlebars?

    I think this is where my bike is creaking as well. I've heard of using wax. Not sure what sort of
    wax and if they'll be a danger of slippage, but it's an idea for us to think about!

    ~PB

  8. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "David Nutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Ric <[email protected]> said:
    > > > Any tips to stop creaks from the stem-bar join on aluminium
    handlebars?

    > > Take the bars out and make sure the places where the stem and bar
    contact
    > > are *really* clean with no grit. Then put them back together nice and
    > tight.
    > > If the stem is steel a bit of anti-seize is probably a good idea.
    > >
    > > This cured it for me anyway. Some bits of sand had got into the stem/bar join when I put them
    > > together the first time and made a terrible noise.
    >
    > Fankin' you. I'll give it a go as my mtb seems to have developed various creaks over the winter,
    > bit like me really.

    Done as suggested then decided to check the fork steerer as well. This revealed the culprit, the
    upper headset cup is loose in the head-tube allowing it to rock from side to side as leverage is
    applied to the bars. I've wrapped PTFE tape round it so's I can ride today but will re-fit using
    Bearing Fit when I get back to work. (The PTFE tape cured the creak but not the real problem).

    Pete