Creaky Bottom Bracket

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Ray Lake, May 11, 2003.

  1. Ray Lake

    Ray Lake Guest

    I have a new bike (Cannondale 800 Tri) and I notice that when pedaling the bottom bracket "creaks".
    Is this due to the torque on the bottom bracket when pedaling? Is this normal with aluminum frames?

    Tags:

  2. Not normal. Take back to dealer.

    "Ray Lake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a new bike (Cannondale 800 Tri) and I notice that when pedaling the bottom bracket
    > "creaks". Is this due to the torque on the bottom bracket when pedaling? Is this normal with
    > aluminum frames?

  3. David

    David Guest

    > Is this due to the torque on the bottom bracket
    > when pedaling? Is this normal with aluminum frames?

    It would be due to the bottom bracket needing adjustment; or, improperly installed. It has nothing
    to do with being aluminum. However, do note that with aluminum bikes that sound or noise "travels"
    so it is hard to determine where it is coming from, sometimes. Good Luck! David Never give up, Be
    satisfied w/ your best, Do unto others.....

  4. Felix

    Felix Guest

    David wrote:

    >> Is this due to the torque on the bottom bracket
    >> when pedaling? Is this normal with aluminum frames?
    >>

    > It would be due to the bottom bracket needing adjustment; or, improperly installed. It has nothing
    > to do with being aluminum. However, do note that with aluminum bikes that sound or noise "travels"
    > so it is hard to determine where it is coming from, sometimes. Good Luck! David Never give up, Be
    > satisfied w/ your best, Do unto others.....

    I had also something 'creaking' down there when I pedaled with force (uphill). But when I stopped I
    couldn't find the problem. Until I found out that one crank wasn't totaslly wrenched.

    Felix http://home.tiscalinet.ch/weilenmann/Sport

  5. Pat Bell

    Pat Bell Guest

    The "Cannondale creak" is more common than you might think. I've owned two Cannondales and I know a
    good number of Cannondale owners. The creak seems to only happen on the higher end frames (CAD 3/4
    and up). It seems to happen the most when the bike undergoes temperature changes (typically cold to
    hot). I've known guys that have replaced everything possible down there but the frame and the creak
    will still happen occasionally. I bought a R500 4 years ago and a R800 1 year ago, both are still
    going strong (with the occasional creak) and nothing has fallen off yet.

    Ray Lake <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have a new bike (Cannondale 800 Tri) and I notice that when pedaling the bottom bracket
    > "creaks". Is this due to the torque on the bottom bracket when pedaling? Is this normal with
    > aluminum frames?

  6. Cliff

    Cliff Guest

    Check your cleats and shoes. Sometimes a loose cleat creaks...

    -- Cliff

    "Ray Lake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a new bike (Cannondale 800 Tri) and I notice that when pedaling the bottom bracket
    > "creaks". Is this due to the torque on the bottom bracket when pedaling? Is this normal with
    > aluminum frames?

  7. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Put some plumbers tape (teflon tape) on the thread on the chainring side. Mine was making awful noises, but this fixed it in a matter of minutes.

  8. Ray Plotecia

    Ray Plotecia Guest

    after the Columbia Tri? Talk about temperature changes....

    Ray

    --
    | Beer Truck | ||'|"\,___.

    "Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them."
    - Albert Einstein