Creaky Campag cranks?

Duckwah

Oct 30, 2002
I've just bought a second hand bike with 2003 Campag Centaur and everytime i get out of the saddle to sprint or do a big hill i get a pretty bad creaking sound from the cranks.

When i got the bike it was only 10 weeks old (4000km) and had just been serviced

I've tried tightening the crank bolts and that helped for one ride.

Then i tried pulling the bolts out and re greasing them, again that helped for a ride but now the sound is back.

I'm thinking that perhaps the cranks need to be pulled off and re installed.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by Duckwah
I've just bought a second hand bike with 2003 Campag Centaur and everytime i get out of the saddle to sprint or do a big hill i get a pretty bad creaking sound from the cranks.

When i got the bike it was only 10 weeks old (4000km) and had just been serviced

I've tried tightening the crank bolts and that helped for one ride.

Then i tried pulling the bolts out and re greasing them, again that helped for a ride but now the sound is back.

I'm thinking that perhaps the cranks need to be pulled off and re installed.

Any ideas?
If it's not your knees creaking,maybe it's the BB threads in need of grease and or proper tightening. Maybe it's not even the crank,as creaks come from everywhere and almost always sound like the crank/BB. Could even be a cracked frame.

YEah i'm going to take it into the bike shop and get them to have a look at it

better safe than sorry

Originally posted by Duckwah
YEah i'm going to take it into the bike shop and get them to have a look at it

better safe than sorry

I'm running record, and I just had this same thing happen to me. I would pedal hard, creak creak. I was Positive it was the bottom bracket, I even took it out and lubed the threads on the bracket and all. Still creaked. Turns out, it was the headset, when I would pedal hard, I pulled on the bars, and the stem/headset creaked a bit. It sounded so positively to be coming from the bottom bracket. So I guess the moral, check other things as well.

Dave

Ok i've checked the headset, pedals and bar/ stem and they seem ok

tried adding a bit more torque to the crank bolts and i'll see if that works