Creaky Crank

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by gravelmuncher, Oct 19, 2007.

  1. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    R600 compact cranks on a Cannondale CAAD9. Started to hear a 'creaking' under loading of the left crank arm, maybe after the first 100km. Raised the issue with the guys at LBS - who suspected it was something else doing the creaking - pulled the post, stem, forks out and greased and re-fitted. Still creaking, so pulled the cranks out, re-greased and re-fitted - silent again.

    LBS suspects the rear wheel, but I know that aint where the sound comes from. I take the wheel back to the wheelsmith for a chat. He demonstrates to me that it isn't the wheel.

    After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I ask them to upgrade the BB, although they assure me it's not the BB. They pull it down and replace the BB - silent again.

    After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. LBS fingers the blame at the left crank arm, and returns to Shimano for warranty exchange. Fit new arm, silent again.

    After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I haven't bothered to take it back to the shop for another session, and I get the impression that they're tired of chasing the creak. Still, it's pissing me off as I wasn't expecting something like this from a brand new bike - and from such calabre as a Cannondale.

    Anybody got any thoughts on this one??

    Tags:

  2. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    On 2007-10-20, gravelmuncher
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > R600 compact cranks on a Cannondale CAAD9. Started to hear a
    > 'creaking' under loading of the left crank arm, maybe after the first
    > 100km. Raised the issue with the guys at LBS - who suspected it was
    > something else doing the creaking - pulled the post, stem, forks out
    > and greased and re-fitted. Still creaking, so pulled the cranks out,
    > re-greased and re-fitted - silent again.

    <SNIP>

    > Anybody got any thoughts on this one??

    Left hand cup of a sealed BB can creak if not tightened properly. So can
    old/work/loose pedals. Another common cause is the saddle rail bolt.

    Cheers

    Joel

    --
    Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
    [email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

  3. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Fair call, but the BB cups have been removed and re-fitted 3 times - so i'll give the LBS wrench the benifit of the doubt that he's got it right at least once. Pedals have been checked. Saddle is silent - especially when I climb out of it.

    Something is working loose somehow, as it's silent for a while after the cranks have been removed/re-fitted, but then it start's creaking again under load.

  4. jim beam

    jim beam Guest

    gravelmuncher wrote:
    >> Left hand cup of a sealed BB can creak if not tightened properly. So
    >> can
    >> old/work/loose pedals. Another common cause is the saddle rail bolt.

    > Fair call, but the BB cups have been removed and re-fitted 3 times - so
    > i'll give the LBS wrench the benifit of the doubt that he's got it right
    > at least once. Pedals have been checked. Saddle is silent - especially
    > when I climb out of it.
    >
    > Something is working loose somehow, as it's silent for a while after
    > the cranks have been removed/re-fitted, but then it start's creaking
    > again under load.

    cannondale bb threads are cut a little large in my opinion. this makes
    creaking real hard to prevent because the bb is never really snug. i'd
    try a layer of teflon plumbers tape and see what happens - it'll fill
    the threads a little.

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    gravelmuncher wrote:
    > R600 compact cranks on a Cannondale CAAD9. Started to hear a 'creaking'
    > under loading of the left crank arm, maybe after the first 100km.
    > Raised the issue with the guys at LBS - who suspected it was something
    > else doing the creaking - pulled the post, stem, forks out and greased
    > and re-fitted. Still creaking, so pulled the cranks out, re-greased and
    > re-fitted - silent again.
    >
    > LBS suspects the rear wheel, but I know that aint where the sound comes
    > from. I take the wheel back to the wheelsmith for a chat. He
    > demonstrates to me that it isn't the wheel.
    >
    > After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I ask them to upgrade the
    > BB, although they assure me it's not the BB. They pull it down and
    > replace the BB - silent again.
    >
    > After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. LBS fingers the blame at
    > the left crank arm, and returns to Shimano for warranty exchange. Fit
    > new arm, silent again.
    >
    > After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I haven't bothered to
    > take it back to the shop for another session, and I get the impression
    > that they're tired of chasing the creak. Still, it's pissing me off as
    > I wasn't expecting something like this from a brand new bike - and from
    > such calabre as a Cannondale.
    >
    > Anybody got any thoughts on this one??

    Square taper cranks seem to work dependably and quietly for most riders.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Andrew Muzi mused:
    > gravelmuncher wrote:
    >> R600 compact cranks on a Cannondale CAAD9. Started to hear a 'creaking'
    >> under loading of the left crank arm, maybe after the first 100km.
    >> Raised the issue with the guys at LBS - who suspected it was something
    >> else doing the creaking - pulled the post, stem, forks out and greased
    >> and re-fitted. Still creaking, so pulled the cranks out, re-greased and
    >> re-fitted - silent again.
    >>
    >> LBS suspects the rear wheel, but I know that aint where the sound comes
    >> from. I take the wheel back to the wheelsmith for a chat. He
    >> demonstrates to me that it isn't the wheel.
    >>
    >> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I ask them to upgrade the
    >> BB, although they assure me it's not the BB. They pull it down and
    >> replace the BB - silent again.
    >>
    >> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. LBS fingers the blame at
    >> the left crank arm, and returns to Shimano for warranty exchange. Fit
    >> new arm, silent again.
    >>
    >> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I haven't bothered to
    >> take it back to the shop for another session, and I get the impression
    >> that they're tired of chasing the creak. Still, it's pissing me off as
    >> I wasn't expecting something like this from a brand new bike - and from
    >> such calabre as a Cannondale.
    >>
    >> Anybody got any thoughts on this one??

    > Square taper cranks seem to work dependably and quietly for most riders.

    Apparently, even for those who repack their BB every time they ride in
    the rain. A press fit would not seem the method of choice for something
    that is frequently disassembled, however.

    Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

  7. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "jim beam" wrote: (clip) i'd
    > try a layer of teflon plumbers tape and see what happens - it'll fill the
    > threads a little.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And reduce the tendency for rain water to leak in ;-)

  8. In article
    <[email protected]>,
    gravelmuncher
    <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > R600 compact cranks on a Cannondale CAAD9. Started to hear a 'creaking'
    > under loading of the left crank arm, maybe after the first 100km.
    > Raised the issue with the guys at LBS - who suspected it was something
    > else doing the creaking - pulled the post, stem, forks out and greased
    > and re-fitted. Still creaking, so pulled the cranks out, re-greased and
    > re-fitted - silent again.
    >
    > LBS suspects the rear wheel, but I know that aint where the sound comes
    > from. I take the wheel back to the wheelsmith for a chat. He
    > demonstrates to me that it isn't the wheel.
    >
    > After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I ask them to upgrade the
    > BB, although they assure me it's not the BB. They pull it down and
    > replace the BB - silent again.
    >
    > After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. LBS fingers the blame at
    > the left crank arm, and returns to Shimano for warranty exchange. Fit
    > new arm, silent again.
    >
    > After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I haven't bothered to
    > take it back to the shop for another session, and I get the impression
    > that they're tired of chasing the creak. Still, it's pissing me off as
    > I wasn't expecting something like this from a brand new bike - and from
    > such calabre as a Cannondale.
    >
    > Anybody got any thoughts on this one??

    Stop fixing it and locate the creak.

    --
    Michael Press

  9. In article
    <[email protected]>,
    gravelmuncher
    <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > R600 compact cranks on a Cannondale CAAD9. Started to hear a 'creaking'
    > under loading of the left crank arm, maybe after the first 100km.
    > Raised the issue with the guys at LBS - who suspected it was something
    > else doing the creaking - pulled the post, stem, forks out and greased
    > and re-fitted. Still creaking, so pulled the cranks out, re-greased and
    > re-fitted - silent again.
    >
    > LBS suspects the rear wheel, but I know that aint where the sound comes
    > from. I take the wheel back to the wheelsmith for a chat. He
    > demonstrates to me that it isn't the wheel.
    >
    > After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I ask them to upgrade the
    > BB, although they assure me it's not the BB. They pull it down and
    > replace the BB - silent again.
    >
    > After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. LBS fingers the blame at
    > the left crank arm, and returns to Shimano for warranty exchange. Fit
    > new arm, silent again.
    >
    > After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I haven't bothered to
    > take it back to the shop for another session, and I get the impression
    > that they're tired of chasing the creak. Still, it's pissing me off as
    > I wasn't expecting something like this from a brand new bike - and from
    > such calabre as a Cannondale.
    >
    > Anybody got any thoughts on this one??

    Stop fixing it and locate the creak.

    --
    Michael Press

  10. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Wow...such insight.

    I'll give the teflon tape a shot.

  11. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "gravelmuncher" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]

    > I'll give the teflon tape a shot.
    >
    > gravelmuncher

    My wife would probably ask if plumbers teflon tape would hold up in the
    rain. ...just like she asked one day whether it would be a good idea for me
    to get the plumbing pipes I just bought out of the bed of my truck in case
    it rained over night.

  12. cycledogg

    cycledogg Guest

    On Oct 19, 8:46 pm, gravelmuncher <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > R600 compact cranks on a Cannondale CAAD9. Started to hear a 'creaking'
    > under loading of the left crank arm, maybe after the first 100km.
    > Raised the issue with the guys at LBS - who suspected it was something
    > else doing the creaking - pulled the post, stem, forks out and greased
    > and re-fitted. Still creaking, so pulled the cranks out, re-greased and
    > re-fitted - silent again.
    >
    > LBS suspects the rear wheel, but I know that aint where the sound comes
    > from. I take the wheel back to the wheelsmith for a chat. He
    > demonstrates to me that it isn't the wheel.
    >
    > After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I ask them to upgrade the
    > BB, although they assure me it's not the BB. They pull it down and
    > replace the BB - silent again.
    >
    > After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. LBS fingers the blame at
    > the left crank arm, and returns to Shimano for warranty exchange. Fit
    > new arm, silent again.
    >
    > After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I haven't bothered to
    > take it back to the shop for another session, and I get the impression
    > that they're tired of chasing the creak. Still, it's pissing me off as
    > I wasn't expecting something like this from a brand new bike - and from
    > such calabre as a Cannondale.
    >
    > Anybody got any thoughts on this one??
    >
    > --
    > gravelmuncher

    I own two Cannondales - 2000 CADD4 and 2004 Optimo. Both have given me
    the same creaking problem from the BB. I have used Shimano Ultegra
    6500 and DA 7700 and FSA bottom brackets. To rid the noise I have
    faced the BB shell, then apply a thin coat of grease (Teflon)* or
    equal to the cup threads and torque to spec. Added note: check
    chainring bolts. Hope this helps.
    Rick in Tennessee

  13. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    I sat and watched as the LBS wrench did all of these things - seems this is a bit of a Cannondale feature, and they've been selling them for years. Nice to know they're on the right track. I called them today to organise a time to get some Teflon tape on the threads, and they're keen to give it a shot.

  14. In article
    <[email protected]>,
    gravelmuncher
    <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > > Stop fixing it and locate the creak.

    > Wow...such insight.

    Oh. You only want advice that agrees with
    your preconceptions. All else is treated
    with disdain. How dare I promote a plan
    that requires hard work.

    > I'll give the teflon tape a shot.

    Whatever.

    --
    Michael Press

  15. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    You strange little man. Once you figure out WTF you are on about, don't hesitate to fill the rest of us in.

  16. In article
    <[email protected]>,
    gravelmuncher
    <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > > Oh. You only want advice that agrees with
    > > your preconceptions. All else is treated
    > > with disdain. How dare I promote a plan
    > > that requires hard work.

    > You strange little man.

    Solved the creak yet?