After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. LBS fingers the blame at the left crank arm, and returns to Shimano for warranty exchange. Fit new arm, silent again.

After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I haven't bothered to take it back to the shop for another session, and I get the impression that they're tired of chasing the creak. Still, it's pissing me off as I wasn't expecting something like this from a brand new bike - and from such calabre as a Cannondale.

Anybody got any thoughts on this one??

On 2007-10-20, gravelmuncher
<[email protected]> wrote:

> R600 compact cranks on a Cannondale CAAD9. Started to hear a
> 'creaking' under loading of the left crank arm, maybe after the first
> 100km. Raised the issue with the guys at LBS - who suspected it was
> something else doing the creaking - pulled the post, stem, forks out
> and greased and re-fitted. Still creaking, so pulled the cranks out,
> re-greased and re-fitted - silent again.

<SNIP>

> Anybody got any thoughts on this one??

Left hand cup of a sealed BB can creak if not tightened properly. So can
old/work/loose pedals. Another common cause is the saddle rail bolt.

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

Left hand cup of a sealed BB can creak if not tightened properly. So can
old/work/loose pedals. Another common cause is the saddle rail bolt.

Fair call, but the BB cups have been removed and re-fitted 3 times - so i'll give the LBS wrench the benifit of the doubt that he's got it right at least once. Pedals have been checked. Saddle is silent - especially when I climb out of it.

Something is working loose somehow, as it's silent for a while after the cranks have been removed/re-fitted, but then it start's creaking again under load.

gravelmuncher wrote:
>> Left hand cup of a sealed BB can creak if not tightened properly. So
>> can
>> old/work/loose pedals. Another common cause is the saddle rail bolt.

> Fair call, but the BB cups have been removed and re-fitted 3 times - so
> i'll give the LBS wrench the benifit of the doubt that he's got it right
> at least once. Pedals have been checked. Saddle is silent - especially
> when I climb out of it.
>
> Something is working loose somehow, as it's silent for a while after
> the cranks have been removed/re-fitted, but then it start's creaking
> again under load.

cannondale bb threads are cut a little large in my opinion. this makes
creaking real hard to prevent because the bb is never really snug. i'd
try a layer of teflon plumbers tape and see what happens - it'll fill
the threads a little.

gravelmuncher wrote:
> R600 compact cranks on a Cannondale CAAD9. Started to hear a 'creaking'
> under loading of the left crank arm, maybe after the first 100km.
> Raised the issue with the guys at LBS - who suspected it was something
> else doing the creaking - pulled the post, stem, forks out and greased
> and re-fitted. Still creaking, so pulled the cranks out, re-greased and
> re-fitted - silent again.
>
> LBS suspects the rear wheel, but I know that aint where the sound comes
> from. I take the wheel back to the wheelsmith for a chat. He
> demonstrates to me that it isn't the wheel.
>
> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I ask them to upgrade the
> BB, although they assure me it's not the BB. They pull it down and
> replace the BB - silent again.
>
> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. LBS fingers the blame at
> the left crank arm, and returns to Shimano for warranty exchange. Fit
> new arm, silent again.
>
> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I haven't bothered to
> take it back to the shop for another session, and I get the impression
> that they're tired of chasing the creak. Still, it's pissing me off as
> I wasn't expecting something like this from a brand new bike - and from
> such calabre as a Cannondale.
>
> Anybody got any thoughts on this one??

Square taper cranks seem to work dependably and quietly for most riders.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Andrew Muzi mused:
> gravelmuncher wrote:
>> R600 compact cranks on a Cannondale CAAD9. Started to hear a 'creaking'
>> under loading of the left crank arm, maybe after the first 100km.
>> Raised the issue with the guys at LBS - who suspected it was something
>> else doing the creaking - pulled the post, stem, forks out and greased
>> and re-fitted. Still creaking, so pulled the cranks out, re-greased and
>> re-fitted - silent again.
>>
>> LBS suspects the rear wheel, but I know that aint where the sound comes
>> from. I take the wheel back to the wheelsmith for a chat. He
>> demonstrates to me that it isn't the wheel.
>>
>> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I ask them to upgrade the
>> BB, although they assure me it's not the BB. They pull it down and
>> replace the BB - silent again.
>>
>> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. LBS fingers the blame at
>> the left crank arm, and returns to Shimano for warranty exchange. Fit
>> new arm, silent again.
>>
>> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I haven't bothered to
>> take it back to the shop for another session, and I get the impression
>> that they're tired of chasing the creak. Still, it's pissing me off as
>> I wasn't expecting something like this from a brand new bike - and from
>> such calabre as a Cannondale.
>>
>> Anybody got any thoughts on this one??

> Square taper cranks seem to work dependably and quietly for most riders.

Apparently, even for those who repack their BB every time they ride in
the rain. A press fit would not seem the method of choice for something
that is frequently disassembled, however.

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

"jim beam" wrote: (clip) i'd
> try a layer of teflon plumbers tape and see what happens - it'll fill the
> threads a little.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And reduce the tendency for rain water to leak in ;-)

In article
<[email protected]>,
gravelmuncher
<[email protected]>
wrote:

> R600 compact cranks on a Cannondale CAAD9. Started to hear a 'creaking'
> under loading of the left crank arm, maybe after the first 100km.
> Raised the issue with the guys at LBS - who suspected it was something
> else doing the creaking - pulled the post, stem, forks out and greased
> and re-fitted. Still creaking, so pulled the cranks out, re-greased and
> re-fitted - silent again.
>
> LBS suspects the rear wheel, but I know that aint where the sound comes
> from. I take the wheel back to the wheelsmith for a chat. He
> demonstrates to me that it isn't the wheel.
>
> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I ask them to upgrade the
> BB, although they assure me it's not the BB. They pull it down and
> replace the BB - silent again.
>
> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. LBS fingers the blame at
> the left crank arm, and returns to Shimano for warranty exchange. Fit
> new arm, silent again.
>
> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I haven't bothered to
> take it back to the shop for another session, and I get the impression
> that they're tired of chasing the creak. Still, it's pissing me off as
> I wasn't expecting something like this from a brand new bike - and from
> such calabre as a Cannondale.
>
> Anybody got any thoughts on this one??

Stop fixing it and locate the creak.

--
Michael Press

In article
<[email protected]>,
gravelmuncher
<[email protected]>
wrote:

> R600 compact cranks on a Cannondale CAAD9. Started to hear a 'creaking'
> under loading of the left crank arm, maybe after the first 100km.
> Raised the issue with the guys at LBS - who suspected it was something
> else doing the creaking - pulled the post, stem, forks out and greased
> and re-fitted. Still creaking, so pulled the cranks out, re-greased and
> re-fitted - silent again.
>
> LBS suspects the rear wheel, but I know that aint where the sound comes
> from. I take the wheel back to the wheelsmith for a chat. He
> demonstrates to me that it isn't the wheel.
>
> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I ask them to upgrade the
> BB, although they assure me it's not the BB. They pull it down and
> replace the BB - silent again.
>
> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. LBS fingers the blame at
> the left crank arm, and returns to Shimano for warranty exchange. Fit
> new arm, silent again.
>
> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I haven't bothered to
> take it back to the shop for another session, and I get the impression
> that they're tired of chasing the creak. Still, it's pissing me off as
> I wasn't expecting something like this from a brand new bike - and from
> such calabre as a Cannondale.
>
> Anybody got any thoughts on this one??

Stop fixing it and locate the creak.

--
Michael Press

"gravelmuncher" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...

> I'll give the teflon tape a shot.
>
> gravelmuncher

My wife would probably ask if plumbers teflon tape would hold up in the
rain. ...just like she asked one day whether it would be a good idea for me
to get the plumbing pipes I just bought out of the bed of my truck in case
it rained over night.

On Oct 19, 8:46 pm, gravelmuncher <gravelmuncher.2yq...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> R600 compact cranks on a Cannondale CAAD9. Started to hear a 'creaking'
> under loading of the left crank arm, maybe after the first 100km.
> Raised the issue with the guys at LBS - who suspected it was something
> else doing the creaking - pulled the post, stem, forks out and greased
> and re-fitted. Still creaking, so pulled the cranks out, re-greased and
> re-fitted - silent again.
>
> LBS suspects the rear wheel, but I know that aint where the sound comes
> from. I take the wheel back to the wheelsmith for a chat. He
> demonstrates to me that it isn't the wheel.
>
> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I ask them to upgrade the
> BB, although they assure me it's not the BB. They pull it down and
> replace the BB - silent again.
>
> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. LBS fingers the blame at
> the left crank arm, and returns to Shimano for warranty exchange. Fit
> new arm, silent again.
>
> After the next 100-ish-km, creaking returns. I haven't bothered to
> take it back to the shop for another session, and I get the impression
> that they're tired of chasing the creak. Still, it's pissing me off as
> I wasn't expecting something like this from a brand new bike - and from
> such calabre as a Cannondale.
>
> Anybody got any thoughts on this one??
>
> --
> gravelmuncher

I own two Cannondales - 2000 CADD4 and 2004 Optimo. Both have given me
the same creaking problem from the BB. I have used Shimano Ultegra
6500 and DA 7700 and FSA bottom brackets. To rid the noise I have
faced the BB shell, then apply a thin coat of grease (Teflon)* or
equal to the cup threads and torque to spec. Added note: check
chainring bolts. Hope this helps.
Rick in Tennessee

I own two Cannondales - 2000 CADD4 and 2004 Optimo. Both have given me
the same creaking problem from the BB. I have used Shimano Ultegra
6500 and DA 7700 and FSA bottom brackets. To rid the noise I have
faced the BB shell, then apply a thin coat of grease (Teflon)* or
equal to the cup threads and torque to spec. Added note: check
chainring bolts.

I sat and watched as the LBS wrench did all of these things - seems this is a bit of a Cannondale feature, and they've been selling them for years. Nice to know they're on the right track. I called them today to organise a time to get some Teflon tape on the threads, and they're keen to give it a shot.

In article
<[email protected]>,
gravelmuncher
<[email protected]>
wrote:

> > Stop fixing it and locate the creak.

> Wow...such insight.

Oh. You only want advice that agrees with
your preconceptions. All else is treated
with disdain. How dare I promote a plan
that requires hard work.

> I'll give the teflon tape a shot.

Whatever.

--
Michael Press

Oh. You only want advice that agrees with
your preconceptions. All else is treated
with disdain. How dare I promote a plan
that requires hard work.

You strange little man. Once you figure out WTF you are on about, don't hesitate to fill the rest of us in.

In article
<[email protected]>,
gravelmuncher
<[email protected]>
wrote:

> > Oh. You only want advice that agrees with
> > your preconceptions. All else is treated
> > with disdain. How dare I promote a plan
> > that requires hard work.

> You strange little man.

Solved the creak yet?