cream of chicken soup substitue

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ben, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Hi,

    I was wondering what I could substitute for "cream of
    chicken soup". I have some chicken flavored powder that
    makes a clear soup (contains no meat). For the "cream of"
    part could I just add some kind of non-dairy creamer?

    Thanks, Ben

    --
    "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

    Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite
    (http://www.onesuite.com).
    2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No
    monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643
    for 20 free minutes.

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >ben [email protected]
    >
    >Hi,
    >
    >I was wondering what I could substitute for "cream of
    >chicken soup". I have some chicken flavored powder that
    >makes a clear soup (contains no meat). For the "cream of"
    >part could I just add some kind of non-dairy creamer?

    Start with a roux. Add your hydrated chicken powder until
    you have a thick sauce, then thin to whatever soup
    consistancy you like with cream/milk. It won't be any worse
    than the canned stuff.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  3. The Mom

    The Mom Guest

    "ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was wondering what I could substitute for "cream of
    > chicken soup". I
    have
    > some chicken flavored powder that makes a clear soup
    > (contains no meat). For the "cream of" part could I just
    > add some kind of non-dairy creamer?
    >
    > Thanks, Ben

    Sure, I do that all the time. Add to taste. Not high in
    points (WW) either.

  4. stan

    stan Guest

    ben <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I was wondering what I could substitute for "cream of
    > chicken soup". I have some chicken flavored powder that
    > makes a clear soup (contains no meat). For the "cream of"
    > part could I just add some kind of non-dairy creamer?

    Try a small amount and see how you like the results.

  5. Ben

    Ben Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:
    > Start with a roux. Add your hydrated chicken powder until
    > you have a thick sauce, then thin to whatever soup
    > consistancy you like with cream/milk. It won't be any
    > worse than the canned stuff.

    Okay. I just looked up roux - never heard of it before. I
    can make theat with oil and flour apparently. The plural of
    roux is roux apparently too.

    regards, Ben

    --
    "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

    Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite
    (http://www.onesuite.com).
    2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No
    monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643
    for 20 free minutes.

  6. Ben

    Ben Guest

    THE MOM wrote:
    >>I was wondering what I could substitute for "cream of
    >>chicken soup". I

    > Sure, I do that all the time. Add to taste. Not high in
    > points (WW) either.

    Thanks for that. That's easy enough then.

    regards, Ben

    --
    "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

    Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite
    (http://www.onesuite.com).
    2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No
    monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643
    for 20 free minutes.

  7. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    ben wrote:
    > PENMART01 wrote:
    >> Start with a roux. Add your hydrated chicken powder until
    >> you have a thick sauce, then thin to whatever soup
    >> consistancy you like with cream/milk. It won't be any
    >> worse than the canned stuff.
    >
    > Okay. I just looked up roux - never heard of it before.

    Yes, Ben... in this case it's oil or butter with flour
    seasoned with salt and pepper and then you add milk or cream
    to make a white sauce, then add your chicken powder (I'd
    advise reconstuting it in about 1 cup of water) to make it
    cream of chicken, since you aren't using real chicken stock

    Jill