Cream of Ham and Mushroom soup?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kilikini, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    Got a couple of ham bones I need to use up and was thinking about some sort
    of a cream ham/mushroom soup. What do you guys think? Is this a weird
    combo?

    kili

    Tags:

  2. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Kilikini wrote:
    > Got a couple of ham bones I need to use up and was thinking about some sort
    > of a cream ham/mushroom soup. What do you guys think? Is this a weird
    > combo?
    >
    > kili

    Never made it but it sounds rather interesting to me.

    --
    Steve

    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
    Autograph your work with excellence.

  3. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    Steve Calvin wrote:
    > Kilikini wrote:
    >> Got a couple of ham bones I need to use up and was thinking about
    >> some sort of a cream ham/mushroom soup. What do you guys think? Is
    >> this a weird combo?
    >>
    >> kili
    >>

    > Never made it but it sounds rather interesting to me.

    Doesn't it? Why couldn't you do it? Ham and mushrooms sounds like a good
    combo.

    kili

  4. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Got a couple of ham bones I need to use up and was thinking about some sort
    > of a cream ham/mushroom soup. What do you guys think? Is this a weird
    > combo?
    >
    > kili

    I'd use ham bones with Navy beans, or lentils. :)
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  5. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    Katra wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Got a couple of ham bones I need to use up and was thinking about
    >> some sort of a cream ham/mushroom soup. What do you guys think? Is
    >> this a weird combo?
    >>
    >> kili
    >>

    > I'd use ham bones with Navy beans, or lentils. :)

    Well, normally I would too.......my husband is a bean and lentil
    nut..........but we want to do a lower carb recipe and this is all I could
    think of. I think it *could* work, I'm just looking for ideas from the
    group.

    kili

  6. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Kilikini wrote:
    > Steve Calvin wrote:
    >
    >>Kilikini wrote:
    >>
    >>>Got a couple of ham bones I need to use up and was thinking about
    >>>some sort of a cream ham/mushroom soup. What do you guys think? Is
    >>>this a weird combo?
    >>>
    >>>kili
    >>>

    >>Never made it but it sounds rather interesting to me.

    > Doesn't it? Why couldn't you do it? Ham and mushrooms sounds like a good
    > combo.
    >
    > kili

    It actually does sound good. The variety or mushrooms are virtually
    endless too. I'm about ready to do a ham so that I can make a big pot of
    my bean soup. I may have to save some of it and try the cream with
    mushroom style too. If you try it, let us know.

    --
    Steve

    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
    Autograph your work with excellence.

  7. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Katra wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Got a couple of ham bones I need to use up and was thinking about
    > >> some sort of a cream ham/mushroom soup. What do you guys think? Is
    > >> this a weird combo?
    > >>
    > >> kili
    > >>

    > > I'd use ham bones with Navy beans, or lentils. :)

    > Well, normally I would too.......my husband is a bean and lentil
    > nut..........but we want to do a lower carb recipe and this is all I could
    > think of. I think it *could* work, I'm just looking for ideas from the
    > group.
    >
    > kili

    Hmmmmm... I can empathize with the low carb thing.
    After all, I pretty much live my life that way! <lol>

    Portabello might work better than button mushrooms,
    and a bit of chopped celery.

    I think I'd make more of a brown sauce tho' than a cream
    sauce. I'm not convinced the salty/smoky flavor would go
    well creamed?

    What would you use as a low carb thickener?
    I'm really interested in that. Winter squash
    works ok, but it's not always the flavor or texture
    that I'm looking for.

    Kat
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  8. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    Katra wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Katra wrote:

    >>> I'd use ham bones with Navy beans, or lentils. :)

    >> Well, normally I would too.......my husband is a bean and lentil
    >> nut..........but we want to do a lower carb recipe and this is all I
    >> could think of. I think it *could* work, I'm just looking for ideas
    >> from the group.
    >>
    >> kili
    >>

    > Hmmmmm... I can empathize with the low carb thing.
    > After all, I pretty much live my life that way! <lol>
    >
    > Portabello might work better than button mushrooms,
    > and a bit of chopped celery.
    >
    > I think I'd make more of a brown sauce tho' than a cream
    > sauce. I'm not convinced the salty/smoky flavor would go
    > well creamed?
    >
    > What would you use as a low carb thickener?
    > I'm really interested in that. Winter squash
    > works ok, but it's not always the flavor or texture
    > that I'm looking for.
    >
    > Kat

    I was thinking of adding just a touch of flour with half and half and see
    how that goes. It will still be relatively low carb. If I heat it up
    enough, it may get to the right consistency. I've done a bit of googling
    and there are recipes out there similiar, but they all use chicken broth.
    I'm gonna give it ago with the ham bones and see what happens. I might have
    stumbled on something good, you never know!

    kili

  9. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Katra wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,

    > >> Well, normally I would too.......my husband is a bean and lentil
    > >> nut..........but we want to do a lower carb recipe and this is all I
    > >> could think of. I think it *could* work, I'm just looking for ideas
    > >> from the group.
    > >>
    > >> kili
    > >>

    > > Hmmmmm... I can empathize with the low carb thing.
    > > After all, I pretty much live my life that way! <lol>
    > >
    > > Portabello might work better than button mushrooms,
    > > and a bit of chopped celery.
    > >
    > > I think I'd make more of a brown sauce tho' than a cream
    > > sauce. I'm not convinced the salty/smoky flavor would go
    > > well creamed?
    > >
    > > What would you use as a low carb thickener?
    > > I'm really interested in that. Winter squash
    > > works ok, but it's not always the flavor or texture
    > > that I'm looking for.
    > >
    > > Kat

    > I was thinking of adding just a touch of flour with half and half and see
    > how that goes. It will still be relatively low carb. If I heat it up
    > enough, it may get to the right consistency. I've done a bit of googling
    > and there are recipes out there similiar, but they all use chicken broth.
    > I'm gonna give it ago with the ham bones and see what happens. I might have
    > stumbled on something good, you never know!
    >
    > kili

    Be sure to post when it's done! :)
    Might add some bacon bits for texture????

    Kat
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  10. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Katra wrote:

    >>I was thinking of adding just a touch of flour with half and half and see
    >>how that goes. It will still be relatively low carb. If I heat it up
    >>enough, it may get to the right consistency. I've done a bit of googling
    >>and there are recipes out there similiar, but they all use chicken broth.
    >>I'm gonna give it ago with the ham bones and see what happens. I might have
    >>stumbled on something good, you never know!
    >>
    >>kili
    >>

    > Be sure to post when it's done! :)
    > Might add some bacon bits for texture????
    >
    > Kat

    ah huh, ah huh... you've got my vote on that Kat. Bacon bits sound like
    a great addition! Some celery an onion would probably work too.

    --
    Steve

    Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little
    bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backwards...

  11. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:43:41 GMT, "Kilikini"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Got a couple of ham bones I need to use up and was thinking about some sort
    >of a cream ham/mushroom soup. What do you guys think? Is this a weird
    >combo?
    >
    >kili

    Somehow, it just seems... wrong. ;>

    Sue(tm)

  12. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    Steve Calvin wrote:
    > Katra wrote:
    >

    >>> I was thinking of adding just a touch of flour with half and half
    >>> and see how that goes. It will still be relatively low carb. If I
    >>> heat it up enough, it may get to the right consistency. I've done
    >>> a bit of googling and there are recipes out there similiar, but
    >>> they all use chicken broth. I'm gonna give it ago with the ham
    >>> bones and see what happens. I might have stumbled on something
    >>> good, you never know! kili
    >>>

    >> Be sure to post when it's done! :)
    >> Might add some bacon bits for texture????
    >>
    >> Kat

    > ah huh, ah huh... you've got my vote on that Kat. Bacon bits sound
    > like a great addition! Some celery an onion would probably work too.

    I did celery and onion! It is so good! I'm eating it now (and my hubby
    loves it too!)

    kili

  13. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    Curly Sue wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:43:41 GMT, "Kilikini"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Got a couple of ham bones I need to use up and was thinking about
    >> some sort of a cream ham/mushroom soup. What do you guys think? Is
    >> this a weird combo?
    >>
    >> kili
    >>

    > Somehow, it just seems... wrong. ;>
    >
    > Sue(tm)
    > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    Sue, I would have thought so, but it's EXCELLENT! It really, truly is. I'm
    likin' it!

    kili

  14. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Calvin <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Katra wrote:
    >

    > >>I was thinking of adding just a touch of flour with half and half and see
    > >>how that goes. It will still be relatively low carb. If I heat it up
    > >>enough, it may get to the right consistency. I've done a bit of googling
    > >>and there are recipes out there similiar, but they all use chicken broth.
    > >>I'm gonna give it ago with the ham bones and see what happens. I might
    > >>have
    > >>stumbled on something good, you never know!
    > >>
    > >>kili
    > >>

    > > Be sure to post when it's done! :)
    > > Might add some bacon bits for texture????
    > >
    > > Kat

    > ah huh, ah huh... you've got my vote on that Kat. Bacon bits sound like
    > a great addition! Some celery an onion would probably work too.
    >
    > --
    > Steve

    Mmm yes! :)
    Celery and onion (I'd pre-cook the onions to slight carmelization) are
    great in soup. I've also recently begun experimenting more with Shallots!
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  15. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Steve Calvin wrote:

    > >> Be sure to post when it's done! :)
    > >> Might add some bacon bits for texture????
    > >>
    > >> Kat

    > > ah huh, ah huh... you've got my vote on that Kat. Bacon bits sound
    > > like a great addition! Some celery an onion would probably work too.

    > I did celery and onion! It is so good! I'm eating it now (and my hubby
    > loves it too!)
    >
    > kili

    Cool! :)

    So when you made the "cream" for it, did you make a roux or just add
    watered flour to the boiling soup? Any heavy cream?
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  16. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    Katra wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Steve Calvin wrote:

    >>> ah huh, ah huh... you've got my vote on that Kat. Bacon bits sound
    >>> like a great addition! Some celery an onion would probably work
    >>> too.

    >> I did celery and onion! It is so good! I'm eating it now (and my
    >> hubby loves it too!)
    >>
    >> kili
    >>

    > Cool! :)
    >
    > So when you made the "cream" for it, did you make a roux or just add
    > watered flour to the boiling soup? Any heavy cream?

    Half and Half. I didn't make a roux; I added a little flour to the
    sauteeing shrooms. Didn't need much at ALL.

    kili

  17. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Katra wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,

    > >> I did celery and onion! It is so good! I'm eating it now (and my
    > >> hubby loves it too!)
    > >>
    > >> kili
    > >>

    > > Cool! :)
    > >
    > > So when you made the "cream" for it, did you make a roux or just add
    > > watered flour to the boiling soup? Any heavy cream?

    > Half and Half. I didn't make a roux; I added a little flour to the
    > sauteeing shrooms. Didn't need much at ALL.
    >
    > kili

    Yes, I saw your final recipe. :)
    I imagine the ham bone broth was pretty dense all by itself!

    Yum........
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  18. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Kilikini wrote:
    > Katra wrote:

    >>Cool! :)
    >>
    >>So when you made the "cream" for it, did you make a roux or just add
    >>watered flour to the boiling soup? Any heavy cream?

    > Half and Half. I didn't make a roux; I added a little flour to the
    > sauteeing shrooms. Didn't need much at ALL.
    >
    > kili

    SOunds like a success kili and worth a try!