Creasy and Resveratrol

Stuart Cracraft

Guest
Something I hadn't heard before in 3rd from last paragraph, as regards persistence of the molecule
and the effect of light.

Things are looking up.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/entertainment/dines/wine/ent_1641.shtml

"Creasy's tests show that resveratrol is preserved even in open wine, with only a 3 percent
reduction after 17 days sitting open on a counter at about 70 degrees or refrigerated at about 35
degrees. He believes that resveratrol lasts longer in wine than in pill form because of the anti-
oxidant properties in wine. However, wine will lose its resveratrol if it is exposed to light, so
keep an opened bottle away from a window."

Oh, but what about storing open bottles of red wine under Ar or N2 and consuming them within 2-3
days? Lol. It's good to see some real numbers.

>"Creasy's tests show that resveratrol is preserved even in open wine, with only a 3 percent
>reduction after 17 days sitting open on a counter at about 70 degrees or refrigerated at about 35
>degrees. He believes that resveratrol lasts longer in wine than in pill form because of the anti-
>oxidant properties in wine. However, wine will lose its resveratrol if it is exposed to light, so
>keep an opened bottle away from a window."

I'd still like to know how certain supplement manufacturers are preparing their Licaps and what
analytical proof support their claims regarding oxidation, or lack thereof, in their products.

From a recent thread:
>Actually I think you are looking at the molecule on the previous page. Compare these instead:
>
>http://sirtuins.com/life-extension.html

This article is apparently from the NY times. Sure, *that* structure is correct.

>http://www.longevinex.com/sdm.asp?pg=molecule

Yes! Longevinex has the wrong molecule; moreover, they have "RESVERATROL: The Molecule"
stamped on it.

>Well, if you only knew what I knew. I am prevented from commenting about the testing but let me put
>it this way. I am a member of the Life Extension Foundation and when I found out the things that I
>cannot comment on and which are not on a web page or in a research paper, I immediately returned
>the Resveratrol I had received as a gift from LEF and got Longevinex instead. Enuf said.

It seems as though I've entered half way through a discussion. Sorry, I'm new to the group.

As for the testing, etc., why not have the company release some GC/MS or HPLC or some other
analytical data? All it can do is support this apparently wonderful product. Your anecdote
regarding chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is nice as far as these reports go. Furthermore,
the reference is good but tells me nothing about the quality of Longevinex Resveratrol over the
competitors. My university doesn't carry the current 12 months of Thorax so if you have a copy of
the .pdf, please post it.

I'm not doubting that it works, I'm doubting that the product you're endorsing is better than the
competitors.

[email protected] (Stuart Cracraft) writes:

> "Creasy's tests show that resveratrol is preserved even in open wine, with only a 3 percent
> reduction after 17 days sitting open on a counter at about 70 degrees or refrigerated at about 35
> degrees.

Yes, the stuff is much more stable than some people suggest. :)

In dry powder form it ought to be even more stable.

> He believes that resveratrol lasts longer in wine than in pill form

Belief is the domain of religion. Where are the facts (measurements) ?

--
Manfred Bartz

Manfred Bartz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Stuart Cracraft) writes:
>
> > "Creasy's tests show that resveratrol is preserved even in open wine, with only a 3 percent
> > reduction after 17 days sitting open on a counter at about 70 degrees or refrigerated at about
> > 35 degrees.
>
> Yes, the stuff is much more stable than some people suggest. :)
>
> In dry powder form it ought to be even more stable.
>
> > He believes that resveratrol lasts longer in wine than in pill form
>
> Belief is the domain of religion. Where are the facts (measurements) ?

You know what? If you have a requirement for specific data, get out your PC and write an email to
the manufacturer and request lab results.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/98/2.5.98/resveratrol.html