Creatine

We used creatine back in '92 mainly with swimmers. My girlfriend at the time (student in medecine) use to protest. She thought it could be bad for kidneys.

For what it's worth.

SolarEnergy said:
We used creatine back in '92 mainly with swimmers. My girlfriend at the time (student in medecine) use to protest. She thought it could be bad for kidneys.

For what it's worth.
92 was a long time ago. There has been a lot of research on it since then. The research has not proven that it's bad for the kidneys. However, it's important that one drinks lots and lots of water whenever supplementing with creatine in order to prevent dehydration.

Whenever I take creatine (I only take the monohydrate by Creapure) I have to urinate constantly it seems. The problem is I am just not thirsty during the Winter months. I have to really work at it to drink just a half gallon of water. During the Summer months it's no problem. On workout days it's easier to drink the water also. I can go through a quart in an hour.

I'm guessing the solution is to workout more?! :eek:

Doctor Morbius said:
92 was a long time ago. There has been a lot of research on it since then. The research has not proven that it's bad for the kidneys. However, it's important that one drinks lots and lots of water whenever supplementing with creatine in order to prevent dehydration.
That's interesting, because I have the opposite problem, on rides I find I want to DRINK constantly ... no peeing required. On a warmish day I'd drink about 800ml per hour I'd guess.

886014 said:
Believe it or not it's "Berocca". I'm not sure if it's available world-wide but is essentially just a fizzy tablet high in vitamins B and C. I dropped one into my bottle one day (can't even recall why) and noticed quite a difference that ride. I started experimenting with using it or not (generally by forgetting and the recalling the ride later, so I guess a semi-blind study). Weird I know, but definately works for me.
I use a product of similarity called "Emergen-C" and have found it to be helpful. It also contains a small amount of electrolytes.

Creatine is very difficult to digest and one thing to remember is that creatine will collect water to itself. Reading yesterday it confirmed why some of us have stomach distress is that a greater amount of fluid will collect to the creatine in the intestines. Not sure that is what I would desire just before riding. The fluid you drink doesn't need to be collecting in the intestines during the activity (thus the chances of dehydration go up). The water you drink before and during exercise needs to be used as fluid replacement during the activity. I have also been guilty of adding a little to my sports drinks, but after reading the report I am going to stop that. It would be better to take following the activity and let digestion time occur well ahead of the next event.

Felt_Rider said:
... It would be better to take following the activity and let digestion time occur well ahead of the next event.
I've read the same information and agree. Take it well in advance of activity so that it is actually in the muscles doing it's job and/or take it post workout. I've also read 3 to 5 grams is plenty for most.