Creatine

artnolis

Jan 23, 2004
Creatine is this good for cycling Do alot of cycles yous it with protein shakes for muscle growth

Thank's

Let the flame wars begin!

1. Creatine is only really useful for repetitive near maximal or maximal burts of power output.

2. It doesn't help build muscle directly, it just lets you work harder for longer in the gym.

3. For endurance sports its worse than useless because it makes you heavier through water retention.

4. If you were a trackie it might help some.

Originally posted by artnolis
Creatine is this good for cycling Do alot of cycles yous it with protein shakes for muscle growth

Thank's

Creatine for cycling? Are you crazy??? I use it faithfully on the days when I lift weights but never ever ever when I go cycling. Creatine would probably give you muscle cramps if you tried to use it for cycling. As for protein shakes, I recommend increasing your protein intake AFTER you ride for sure, however.

Is that the same for Creatine Serums .One that i was told to try is Muscle Marketing Creatine serum.
Thank's

Originally posted by artnolis
Is that the same for Creatine Serums .One that i was told to try is Muscle Marketing Creatine serum.
Thank's
I would think that creatine is creatine, regardless of whether it is a powder or serum. I know creatine is very big in bodybuilding, but have never heard it recommended for cycling of any kind.

Creatine increases available ATP, which as mentioned above, is beneficial for athletes who depend on short bursts of extreme effort (e.g. weight lifting, sprinters, etc). I take creatine to enhance my weight lifting activity, but I don't use it with the expectations of enhancing my cycling activities.

has anyone everyheard of accelerade? basically summed up, i think, its gatorade type stuff with a little bit of protein. i am new to cycling and dont know how well that might help but i am pretty sure swimmers and distance runners use it a lot. maybe that would be better than creatine...you think?

I read something aboput accelerade, but i was suspicion, because there is page where is hundred of papers which say- that 4:1 carbo to protein is best formula, and in every paper is write same sentences, i don't know but first i look seems to me thaht this is only marketing trick, but anywhy some proteins are good in excercise. I hope that some expert post here some opinion about thid product,

http://www.poweringmuscles.com/musclerecovery.asp?article_number=4

http://www.accelerade.com/

a kid i know was talking about taking no2. i heard that instead of filling your muscles up with water it fills them with blood. how healthy and how well would this work for you?

Originally posted by matko
I read something aboput accelerade, but i was suspicion, because there is page where is hundred of papers which say- that 4:1 carbo to protein is best formula, and in every paper is write same sentences, i don't know but first i look seems to me thaht this is only marketing trick, but anywhy some proteins are good in excercise. I hope that some expert post here some opinion about thid product,

http://www.poweringmuscles.com/musclerecovery.asp?article_number=4

http://www.accelerade.com/

there's no good evidence to show that protein intake is required during training and racing, and there's unequivocal evidence to show that carbohydrate intake prior to, during and post exercise is required.

additionally, the 'research' with the 4:1 ratio isn't great. no other ratios have been tested.

furthermore, when post exercise glycogen intake is high >= 1.2 g carb per kg body mass the addition of protein or amino acids does not increase muscle glycogen synthesis even though the insulin response is higher. Thus, there's little or no need to take in protein with a sufficient amount of carbs

ric

Most if not all of this has already been said but creatine provides bulk due to increased water retention in the muscles. This is great if you just want to look bigger. It also seems to make the muscles more prone to cramping in the event of even minimal dehydration. Ted B correctly pointed out that creatine increases available ATP (adenosine triphosphate), in the muscles. Actually, if I remember correctly, it provides aditional phosphate molecules for converting adenosine diphosphate to ATP, however, this is very short-lived and only useful for explosive bursts of energy such as needed for power lifting. (see; phosphagen system)

If you want;

1. Increased bulk/weight

2. Increased vulnerability to cramping

3. Increased reliance on consistent hydration levels

4. A small increase in short-term, explosive power

... then I would think creatine might be just the ticket for you. To me, this isn't the best formula for success on a bike.

:)

i guess since creatine and cell tec are basically the same thing, you should stay away from both for your reasons? also what do you think of accelerade?

Originally posted by texastrack04
i guess since creatine and cell tec are basically the same thing, you should stay away from both for your reasons? also what do you think of accelerade?

I'm not familiar with Cell Tec so I can't offer any information about it but if it's creatine based, then I think your initial response is probably the intelligent one. I'd leave it for the power lifters.

As far as Accelerade goes, I've heard of it and seen it in stores and ads but I have no personal experience with it at all. I do remember reading a comparative review of the various energy drinks and I recall that Extran was the favorite in the article.

i know this forum is based on creatine but i saw some people using a liquid form of b12 this w/e at a track meet. what does this do for you and how will it affect you in the long run!?

Originally posted by texastrack04
i know this forum is based on creatine but i saw some people using a liquid form of b12 this w/e at a track meet. what does this do for you and how will it affect you in the long run!?

B12 is essential to health but the human body needs very little. In most cases, you get all you need through your diet. B12 is produced naturally by bacteria, algea and fungi in the soil and before we scrubbed everything to excess, we could probably count on getting all the B12 we need through small quantities of bacteria left on the plant foods that we ate. This is just one example of how we have sterilized our environment to the point that it has potential to adversely affect our health.

In this world of germicidal this and sterilizing that, those who choose not to ingest animal foods, (vegans), may need some supplimental B12 since the other natural sources have been throroughly eliminated with chemical sprays, liquids and cleaners. Those who eat a more standard diet ingest all kinds of bacteria and other micro-organisms in meat, fish and dairy.

Having said this, it's important to understand that the body uses B12 with amazing efficiency and even recycles as much as 70% to be utilized again. Because of this efficient use, the body also does not readily assimilate B12 and the liquid form you saw, (probably a sublingual), is more readily absorbed.

A deficiency of B12 is nothing to play with. It can lead to many things, among which is the degeneration of the myelin sheaths of the nerves. By the time symptoms occur, (among which may be numbness, burning or tingling in the hands and feet), irreparable damage has already occurred.

Some forms of vitamin B12 are considered to be superior to others. Some are even said to be detrimental to the body's stores of usable B12. The liver can store enough B12 to last for a few years since the body only needs about 2 micrograms per day, (2 millionths of a gram).

I'm unaware of any performance enhancing properties.

Ok i'll dive back in on this one to debunk a few myths about creatine

1. Serum = Useless. Creatine breaks down in water and most serums use water. That muscle marketing stuff has been tested a few times and shown to contain virtually no creatine

2. Using creatine for weight training- to get the best out of creatine you need to load up for a week and then maintain dosing all the time. simply using creatine on weight training days is no good.

3. creatine may increase cramping in a few people

4. creatine is no good for endurance athletes but may help short distance trackies.

Don Stevenson
BSc (chemistry), full time industrial food chemist, personal trainer etc etc you get the idea

Hi everyone,
I'm interested to read your views on creatine.
I as a cyclist use creatine only on the 5 days of the week when I'm training, n then I only take a dose about 30mins before I start training, whether its cycle training or in the gym doing my plyometric/weights training............n I have absolutely no problems with it.................I think its brilliant stuff, but then like everything.................it doesn't suit everyone.