Creating a new cycle club

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> If your home insurance covers you for third party insurance whilst riding a
> bike, it must be unique. Please post which insurance company this is, and
> the clause which identifies that insurance.

ITYM "If your home insurance *doesn't* cover you...."

We've debunked that myth it doesn't several times already thanks to the
ignorance of uk.tosspots in the main.

--
Tony

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place"
George Bernard Shaw

burtthebike <[email protected]> wrote:

> If your home insurance covers you for third party insurance whilst riding a
> bike, it must be unique. Please post which insurance company this is, and
> the clause which identifies that insurance.

I'm with Zurich. I'm sorry, I cannot be bothered going upstairs to find
the exact clause right now but members of my household have 3rd party
liability cover within the territory of the UK so long as we are not in
a motor vehicle.

I don't cycle in motor vehicles.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

burtthebike <[email protected]> wrote:

> If your home insurance covers you for third party insurance whilst riding a
> bike, it must be unique. Please post which insurance company this is, and
> the clause which identifies that insurance.

I'm with Zurich. I'm sorry, I cannot be bothered going upstairs to find
the exact clause right now but members of my household have 3rd party
liability cover within the territory of the UK so long as we are not in
a motor vehicle.

I don't cycle in motor vehicles.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

"Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1i7dshg.wvgn1bt2i89wN%[email protected]...
> burtthebike <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> If your home insurance covers you for third party insurance whilst riding
>> bike, it must be unique. Please post which insurance company this is,
>> and
>> the clause which identifies that insurance.

> I'm with Zurich. I'm sorry, I cannot be bothered going upstairs to find
> the exact clause right now but members of my household have 3rd party
> liability cover within the territory of the UK so long as we are not in
> a motor vehicle.
>
> I don't cycle in motor vehicles.
>
> Cheers,
> Luke

Neither do I Luke, but I am insured, via a third party, through Zurich:
"What is not insured: Liability arising directly or indirectly from:
......road vehicles or any other mechanically propelled or assisted vehicles
except domestic gardening equipment used within the boundaries of the
premises."

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that a bicycle was a legally
defined "road vehicle". There's lots of other stuff, excluding just about
anything, but it doesn't mention a bicycle specifically except to say that
the max they will pay for one, if stolen, is £500/. Knowing how loath
insurance companies are to part with their money, I'd love to hear from
anyone who has actually made, and had paid, a third party claim from them
for a cycling collision, on their household insurance.

"Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1i7dshg.wvgn1bt2i89wN%[email protected]...
> burtthebike <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> If your home insurance covers you for third party insurance whilst riding
>> bike, it must be unique. Please post which insurance company this is,
>> and
>> the clause which identifies that insurance.

> I'm with Zurich. I'm sorry, I cannot be bothered going upstairs to find
> the exact clause right now but members of my household have 3rd party
> liability cover within the territory of the UK so long as we are not in
> a motor vehicle.
>
> I don't cycle in motor vehicles.
>
> Cheers,
> Luke

Neither do I Luke, but I am insured, via a third party, through Zurich:
"What is not insured: Liability arising directly or indirectly from:
......road vehicles or any other mechanically propelled or assisted vehicles
except domestic gardening equipment used within the boundaries of the
premises."

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that a bicycle was a legally
defined "road vehicle". There's lots of other stuff, excluding just about
anything, but it doesn't mention a bicycle specifically except to say that
the max they will pay for one, if stolen, is £500/. Knowing how loath
insurance companies are to part with their money, I'd love to hear from
anyone who has actually made, and had paid, a third party claim from them
for a cycling collision, on their household insurance.

burtthebike <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1i7dshg.wvgn1bt2i89wN%[email protected]...
> > burtthebike <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> If your home insurance covers you for third party insurance whilst riding
> >> bike, it must be unique. Please post which insurance company this is,
> >> and
> >> the clause which identifies that insurance.

> > I'm with Zurich. I'm sorry, I cannot be bothered going upstairs to find
> > the exact clause right now but members of my household have 3rd party
> > liability cover within the territory of the UK so long as we are not in
> > a motor vehicle.
> >
> > I don't cycle in motor vehicles.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Luke

> Neither do I Luke, but I am insured, via a third party, through Zurich:
> "What is not insured: Liability arising directly or indirectly from:
> .....road vehicles or any other mechanically propelled or assisted vehicles
> except domestic gardening equipment used within the boundaries of the
> premises."

You know, I'm sure when I read that before it seemed to me that it did
not apply to bicycles yet I think it's somewhat undeniable that a
bicycle is mechanically propelled or assisted.

Oh well. I'll stick with my cover through British Cycling in the event
that I write off someone's car.

cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

burtthebike <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1i7dshg.wvgn1bt2i89wN%[email protected]...
> > burtthebike <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> If your home insurance covers you for third party insurance whilst riding
> >> bike, it must be unique. Please post which insurance company this is,
> >> and
> >> the clause which identifies that insurance.

> > I'm with Zurich. I'm sorry, I cannot be bothered going upstairs to find
> > the exact clause right now but members of my household have 3rd party
> > liability cover within the territory of the UK so long as we are not in
> > a motor vehicle.
> >
> > I don't cycle in motor vehicles.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Luke

> Neither do I Luke, but I am insured, via a third party, through Zurich:
> "What is not insured: Liability arising directly or indirectly from:
> .....road vehicles or any other mechanically propelled or assisted vehicles
> except domestic gardening equipment used within the boundaries of the
> premises."

You know, I'm sure when I read that before it seemed to me that it did
not apply to bicycles yet I think it's somewhat undeniable that a
bicycle is mechanically propelled or assisted.

Oh well. I'll stick with my cover through British Cycling in the event
that I write off someone's car.

cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Neither do I Luke, but I am insured, via a third party, through Zurich:
> "What is not insured: Liability arising directly or indirectly from:
> .....road vehicles or any other mechanically propelled or assisted vehicles
> except domestic gardening equipment used within the boundaries of the
> premises."
>
> Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that a bicycle was a legally
> defined "road vehicle". There's lots of other stuff, excluding just about
> anything, but it doesn't mention a bicycle specifically except to say that
> the max they will pay for one, if stolen, is £500/. Knowing how loath
> insurance companies are to part with their money, I'd love to hear from
> anyone who has actually made, and had paid, a third party claim from them
> for a cycling collision, on their household insurance.

Mechanically propelled means, in law, it powered by an engine or motor.
The fact that it says "or any other mechanically propelled...vehicle"
means that logically the "road vehicle" must be mechanically propelled
too otherwise it would say "or any mechanically propelled...vehicle"

HTH

--
Tony

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place"
George Bernard Shaw

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Neither do I Luke, but I am insured, via a third party, through Zurich:
> "What is not insured: Liability arising directly or indirectly from:
> .....road vehicles or any other mechanically propelled or assisted vehicles
> except domestic gardening equipment used within the boundaries of the
> premises."
>
> Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that a bicycle was a legally
> defined "road vehicle". There's lots of other stuff, excluding just about
> anything, but it doesn't mention a bicycle specifically except to say that
> the max they will pay for one, if stolen, is £500/. Knowing how loath
> insurance companies are to part with their money, I'd love to hear from
> anyone who has actually made, and had paid, a third party claim from them
> for a cycling collision, on their household insurance.

Mechanically propelled means, in law, it powered by an engine or motor.
The fact that it says "or any other mechanically propelled...vehicle"
means that logically the "road vehicle" must be mechanically propelled
too otherwise it would say "or any mechanically propelled...vehicle"

HTH

--
Tony

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place"
George Bernard Shaw

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "burtthebike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> If your home insurance covers you for third party insurance whilst riding
>> a bike, it must be unique. Please post which insurance company this is,
>> and the clause which identifies that insurance.

> I believe it's actually quite common on contents insurance

Lots of people believe in cycle helmets. And I, for instance, believe that
the moon is made of green cheese. Belief isn't proof.

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "burtthebike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> If your home insurance covers you for third party insurance whilst riding
>> a bike, it must be unique. Please post which insurance company this is,
>> and the clause which identifies that insurance.

> I believe it's actually quite common on contents insurance

Lots of people believe in cycle helmets. And I, for instance, believe that
the moon is made of green cheese. Belief isn't proof.

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>>
>> If your home insurance covers you for third party insurance whilst riding
>> bike, it must be unique. Please post which insurance company this is,
>> and
>> the clause which identifies that insurance.
>>

> ITYM "If your home insurance *doesn't* cover you...."
>
> We've debunked that myth it doesn't several times already thanks to the
> ignorance of uk.tosspots in the main.

Tony, since I don't subscribe to uk.tosspots, perhaps you could provide some
evidence that a householder and their family are covered for third party
claims whilst cycling by virtue of their household insurance? I've read
mine, and believe me, I wouldn't even contemplate claiming.

On 2007-11-10, raisethe <[email protected]> wrote:
> x-no-archive: On 10 Nov, 18:15, "Trevor A Panther"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> For goodness sake don't get involved with the CTC as an itinerant "pals club".
>> You will be automatically dumped into some local club with whom you have no
>> connection at all. ( called a DA -- whatever that means) As a solo cyclist I
>> found that my membership of CTC was tied totally to such a "DA" with whom I
>> had no contact , connection or intent to connect at all.
>> CTC refused to delete my connection with that local DA -- which is why since
>> 31 October 2007 I am no longer a member.
>>
>> Their various insurances policies ( bike and travel) for individuals are
>> expensive too -- so goodness knows what they would try to lumber your "club"
>> with!
>>
>> Or perhaps you could ask the unelected Mr Snow -- "cycling is too
>> dangerous" --- President of CTC for advice
>>

> All points seconded. If you also ride motorcycles note that the CTC
> will be actively campaigning against you.

As a motorcylist (~25,000 miles this year on Duc' and BumW) all I can
say is more power to their elbows. What's wrong with wanting to keep
motorcyles out of bus/cycle lanes? Only a Volvo brain would want to
ride in a 'bus lane'. Get real, only cripples need to take motor
vehicles into towns and cities. Ordinary people can walk, run,
skate(board) or cyle in cities. The fitness challenged can take
buses/tubes/trams/metros/taxis.

> Also they pretend to have a shop when all it really is is a 10%
> discount voucher from Evans online store.

Not according to the Evans employee that I got 10% off my Specialized
(sic) winter boots last weekend: he said that that the CTC shop was a
separate entity.

--
Jan
who hopes he's a typical 3000 miles a year cyclist

On 2007-11-10, raisethe <[email protected]> wrote:
> x-no-archive: On 10 Nov, 18:15, "Trevor A Panther"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> For goodness sake don't get involved with the CTC as an itinerant "pals club".
>> You will be automatically dumped into some local club with whom you have no
>> connection at all. ( called a DA -- whatever that means) As a solo cyclist I
>> found that my membership of CTC was tied totally to such a "DA" with whom I
>> had no contact , connection or intent to connect at all.
>> CTC refused to delete my connection with that local DA -- which is why since
>> 31 October 2007 I am no longer a member.
>>
>> Their various insurances policies ( bike and travel) for individuals are
>> expensive too -- so goodness knows what they would try to lumber your "club"
>> with!
>>
>> Or perhaps you could ask the unelected Mr Snow -- "cycling is too
>> dangerous" --- President of CTC for advice
>>

> All points seconded. If you also ride motorcycles note that the CTC
> will be actively campaigning against you.

As a motorcylist (~25,000 miles this year on Duc' and BumW) all I can
say is more power to their elbows. What's wrong with wanting to keep
motorcyles out of bus/cycle lanes? Only a Volvo brain would want to
ride in a 'bus lane'. Get real, only cripples need to take motor
vehicles into towns and cities. Ordinary people can walk, run,
skate(board) or cyle in cities. The fitness challenged can take
buses/tubes/trams/metros/taxis.

> Also they pretend to have a shop when all it really is is a 10%
> discount voucher from Evans online store.

Not according to the Evans employee that I got 10% off my Specialized
(sic) winter boots last weekend: he said that that the CTC shop was a
separate entity.

> Finally, third party liability cover is included within home
> insurance, so by buying ctc membership, you are only being covered
> from say £2million to £10 million. I do not think they explain that
> when they describe the members benefits.

--
Jan
who hopes he's a typical 3000 miles a year cyclist

In article <[email protected]>, Trevor A
Panther
[email protected] says...

> You will be automatically dumped into some local club with whom you have no
> connection at all. ( called a DA -- whatever that means)

District Association.

> As a solo cyclist I
> found that my membership of CTC was tied totally to such a "DA" with whom I
> had no contact , connection or intent to connect at all.
> CTC refused to delete my connection with that local DA -- which is why since
> 31 October 2007 I am no longer a member.

That sounds like a non-reason to me. If you join the CTC you become a
member of the DA that covers the area in which you live - so what? Were
they forcing you to go on rides, or attend meetings?

In article <[email protected]>, Trevor A
Panther
[email protected] says...

> You will be automatically dumped into some local club with whom you have no
> connection at all. ( called a DA -- whatever that means)

District Association.

> As a solo cyclist I
> found that my membership of CTC was tied totally to such a "DA" with whom I
> had no contact , connection or intent to connect at all.
> CTC refused to delete my connection with that local DA -- which is why since
> 31 October 2007 I am no longer a member.

That sounds like a non-reason to me. If you join the CTC you become a
member of the DA that covers the area in which you live - so what? Were
they forcing you to go on rides, or attend meetings?

On Nov 11, 9:04 am, "burtthebike" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Tony, since I don't subscribe to uk.tosspots, perhaps you could provide some
> evidence that a householder and their family are covered for third party
> claims whilst cycling by virtue of their household insurance? I've read
> mine, and believe me, I wouldn't even contemplate claiming.

I remember checking my insurance carefully once years ago when this
came up before, and it contained a general 3rd party liability clause
that specifically excluded motor vehicle use and not much else
(possibly competitive and/or "dangerous sports"), certainly nothing
that could possibly be construed as referring to ordinary cycling.

Of course that was a few years ago (I'm not living in the UK) so I
cannot guarantee that things have not changed a bit.

James