Creating a route and uploading it to Edge 305

Woland99

Guest
I just got Garmin Edge 305. Maybe I am cheap but I just could not
see myself riding around with $600+ worth of electronics on my
handlebars.
Got 305 on Sat - installed it yesterday - it was fairly easy - cadence
sensor
needs to be tilted to pick info from crank. Garmin s/w - Training
Center is VERY
basic. I used it to remove unwanted laps before uploading to
MotionBased
website. I found quite a few interesting ride ideas on MB but what
would be very
useful is to create a route using some sort of map software then
upload it to Edge
to take advantage of navigation. Just as a safe way to explore new
areas.
I am new to GPS - can anybody kindly share some ideas how it can be
accomplished?
Any info/pointers/keywords, websites, names of software will be
appreciated.

JT

Woland99 wrote:

> I just got Garmin Edge 305. Maybe I am cheap but I just could not
> see myself riding around with $600+ worth of electronics on my
> handlebars.
> Got 305 on Sat - installed it yesterday - it was fairly easy - cadence
> sensor
> needs to be tilted to pick info from crank. Garmin s/w - Training
> Center is VERY
> basic. I used it to remove unwanted laps before uploading to
> MotionBased
> website. I found quite a few interesting ride ideas on MB but what
> would be very
> useful is to create a route using some sort of map software then
> upload it to Edge
> to take advantage of navigation. Just as a safe way to explore new
> areas.
> I am new to GPS - can anybody kindly share some ideas how it can be
> accomplished?
> Any info/pointers/keywords, websites, names of software will be
> appreciated.
>
> JT

Look at the edge forum on MotionBased. You will find several options
available.

On Mar 17, 7:50 am, Woland99 <[email protected]> wrote:
> but what
> would be very
> useful is to create a route using some sort of map software then
> upload it to Edge
> to take advantage of navigation. Just as a safe way to explore new
> areas.

Have a look at:
http://www.topofusion.com
TF will do exactly what you are describing, and then some (and it was
written by cyclists)

DR

On Mar 17, 4:13 pm, DirtRoadie <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 7:50 am, Woland99 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > but what
> > would be very
> > useful is to create a route using some sort of map software then
> > upload it to Edge
> > to take advantage of navigation. Just as a safe way to explore new
> > areas.

> Have a look at:http://www.topofusion.com
> TF will do exactly what you are describing, and then some (and it was
> written by cyclists)
>
> DR

Thanks - I am lookng at Topofusion now.
I also found: Bikely.com, MapItPronto.com and BikeRouteToaster.com
I guess I need to try on a small example - thru the neighbourhood -
first and see how it all works on Edge 305.
BikeRouteToaster has "Add Course Point Warnings" - does it actually
show on Edge 305 as such - warning you about the turn 200m from it?

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:39:45 -0500, joe <[email protected]> wrote:

>Woland99 wrote:
>> Got 305 on Sat -but what
>> would be very
>> useful is to create a route using some sort of map software then
>> upload it to Edge
>> to take advantage of navigation. Just as a safe way to explore new
>> areas.
>> I am new to GPS - can anybody kindly share some ideas how it can be
>> accomplished?
>> Any info/pointers/keywords, websites, names of software will be
>> appreciated.

Google Earth doesn't upload to your GPS, even with the Plus $20
subscription, but in basic Google Earth you can save a route as .kml
and then use various online or offline utilities to convert to .gpx,
http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=kml+to+gpx
which Memory Map
http://www.memory-map.com/
and similar software can upload to your 305

I use and like Memory Map, but it can be quite expensive to buy maps
for all the areas you want. The software without maps is cheap,
however, so if you don't mind the slight hassle of converting the
Google Earth/Memory Map combo will get you started

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Kinky Cowboy wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:39:45 -0500, joe <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Woland99 wrote:
>>> Got 305 on Sat -but what
>>> would be very
>>> useful is to create a route using some sort of map software then
>>> upload it to Edge
>>> to take advantage of navigation. Just as a safe way to explore new
>>> areas.
>>> I am new to GPS - can anybody kindly share some ideas how it can be
>>> accomplished?
>>> Any info/pointers/keywords, websites, names of software will be
>>> appreciated.

> Google Earth doesn't upload to your GPS, even with the Plus $20
> subscription, but in basic Google Earth you can save a route as .kml
> and then use various online or offline utilities to convert to .gpx,
> http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=kml+to+gpx
> which Memory Map
> http://www.memory-map.com/
> and similar software can upload to your 305
>
> I use and like Memory Map, but it can be quite expensive to buy maps
> for all the areas you want. The software without maps is cheap,
> however, so if you don't mind the slight hassle of converting the
> Google Earth/Memory Map combo will get you started
>
> Kinky Cowboy*
>
> *Batteries not included
> May contain traces of nuts
> Your milage may vary

I have an edge 305 and use Marengo software to map a ride and cut down
the number of waypoints, then GPSBabel to load the cut down version into
the Edge to show where to turn. Takes some fiddling, but its all
explained in http://www.marengo-ltd.com/blog/?page_id=8 and associated
pages. Martyn Davis has done a lot of work to set this up. Remember
that the edge 305 can only carry routes with 100 Waypoints. Luckily the
Marengo stuff will strip a route down to only those Waypoints that have
a comment (i.e. L or R). Unfortunately for planning, Marengo doesn't
(yet) show elevation, I use Mapmyride to show elevation on a ride.
Mapmyride has a very useful feature, which is "Follow Roads" - very
handy for measuring accurate distances.

--
Bob C