Creative thinking

CBS09

Sep 27, 2009
Greetings,

We are a group of master students at Copenhagen Business School, who are currently researching the topic of user driven innovation. Therefore we would appreciate any kind of feedback regarding the following topic:

At the moment bicycle theft is a huge problem in Denmark. People forget to lock their bicycles or decide not to lock them thoroughly, because it is too much of a hassle.
It is our impression, that most locks currently on the market are either:

- Quick and easy - hence easy to break
- Acceptable safe and secure – consequently time consuming, complex and expensive.

[FONT=&quot]Therefore we would like to know if you have any ideas as to how to secure your bicycle, in a way that is easy to perform and remember without compromising the security? Any ideas – even the extraordinarily creative ones – are more than welcome. :)
[/FONT]

hi, the U - Locks fit in Quick and Easy and offer maximum security
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/products/list.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1000

For creativity... i live in a big city and lots of guys leave the U-Lock ( locked ) at their arrival destination so they don't need to carry them while riding

I carry mine in my panniers so no problem, i need the pannier anyway to carry other stuff.

And finally, i use another extra thick-chain-lock for double security

There are two needs:

1. Quick and easy, lightweight for short stops while doing errands and shopping
2. Heavy, stronger, and more complex for all day parking un-attended.

I think CBS09 is addressing the first need because that is when people cannot be bothered to lock up. 'I will only be a few minutes, I will take the chance'. The thieves are watching. They will not break a lock, but will ride off on an unlocked bike 5 seconds after you are out of sight. Forty years ago you could get a horseshoe shaped device that bolted onto the caliper brake bolt. Depressing a lever slid out a curved bolt that completes a circle around the rim making the bike un-ridable. They were cheap pressed metal with a rudimentary key. The key was only removed when locked. Unlocking was nothing more than inserting the key and turning it causing the sliding bolt to spring back into the horseshoe.

They may still exist as the original, or may be available in modern materials and technology. They will not prevent the bike from being carried away, but it's always there

? A light retractable cable inside a housing bolted to the bike. Key is only removed when locked. Pull out the cable, wrap around a tree or post, click the end into the 'lock hole' in the housing and remove key. To unlock insert key and turn...the cable should self-retract and your'e off.

An ultra-light fake cable...outer plastic tube, inner layer of faux cable, and a core of nylon rope...it looks like a 15mm steel cable but it's not.:)

An alarm disguised as a handlebar end plug, or hidden in the seatpost, or up the bottom of the steering head. Could be activated by motion, by holding both grips at the same time, by turning the crank, or sitting on the saddle. Could also be incorporated into the horse shoe, retractable, or any other bike mounted lock to activate if the cable is cut or the lock tampered with.

+2 For vspa's suggestion for the all-day lock!

the 'horseshoe lock' is still in use and available in Taiwan

i think with todays large diameter hollow bottom bracket spindles some kind of security device could be incorporated there... but thats as far as I could get! hehe

CBS09 said:
We are a group of master students ..currently researching the topic of user driven innovation. Therefore we would appreciate any kind of feedback regarding the following topic:

At the moment bicycle theft is a huge problem in Denmark. People forget to lock their bicycles or decide not to lock them thoroughly, because it is too much of a hassle.

- Acceptable safe and secure – consequently time consuming, complex and expensive.

[FONT=&quot]Therefore we would like to know if you have any ideas as to how to secure your bicycle, in a way that is easy to perform and remember without compromising the security? Any ideas – even the extraordinarily creative ones – are more than welcome. :)
[/FONT]

First, a description:

The bikes I leave in an area where theft is a realistic outcome are sort of utility bikes. Losing one of them is a nuisance and a bit of financial loss, but not something I'd cry my heart out over.
Gettin A bike back is more important than getting THE bike back.

Now an idea:
Today there are weapons locks available that fits in the breech of the gun and will jam solidly in the weapon if someone tries to force them. A close cousin to that design should be possible to integrate into either the steerer/head tube, or the bottom bracket. Now, if someone tries to steal the bike it gets rendered permanently inoperable, and only useful as a parts donor.
Not much joy to me you might say, but that would be entirely dependent on what kind of deal I've made with the insurance company. If having a self destruct feature fitted would get me a replacement bike at a decent cost I'd be happy to accept that solution for my beater bikes.

Apart from that I'm a bit intrigued by the idea of drilling a hole straight through head tube and steerer tube, and then run a padlock straight through it all. Cheap, light weight and would render the bike unrideable.

Bring your Pit Bull dog or German Shepard with you and lock them to your bike. In the shade of course with some water and not for long periods of time.

[

QUOTE=CBS09;3910503]Greetings,

We are a group of master students at Copenhagen Business School, who are currently researching the topic of user driven innovation. Therefore we would appreciate any kind of feedback regarding the following topic:

[FONT=&quot]Therefore we would like to know if you have any ideas as to how to secure your bicycle, in a way that is easy to perform and remember without compromising the security? Any ideas – even the extraordinarily creative ones – are more than welcome. :)[/FONT]
[/QUOTE]