Creative tire repair

In rec.bicycles.misc Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> Someone forwarded this photo to me:
> http://home.nannynannybooboo.com/20060909_oyj/index-Pages/Image1.html. Yes,
> apparently he carries dental floss and a sewing needle in his tool bag (per
> the discussion in rbt about what to have in your saddle bag).

Oh my. Unforunately, the last time my tire went out there was nothing
that would have saved it. Not even heroic application of dental floss.
Any backstory on how long he had to ride it like that?

Also, I'm writing a note to myself to leave a spare tire in the office.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"Take our politicians: they're a bunch of yo-yos. The Presidency is now a

>Any backstory on how long he had to ride it like that?

20 miles, and the correct word is "they", since this occurred on a tandem.

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"We will teach our twisted speech to the young believers"
-- The Clash

Dane Buson wrote:
> In rec.bicycles.misc Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Someone forwarded this photo to me:
>>http://home.nannynannybooboo.com/20060909_oyj/index-Pages/Image1.html. Yes,
>>apparently he carries dental floss and a sewing needle in his tool bag (per
>>the discussion in rbt about what to have in your saddle bag).

> Oh my. Unforunately, the last time my tire went out there was nothing
> that would have saved it. Not even heroic application of dental floss.
> Any backstory on how long he had to ride it like that?

If you stitch so that the stitches aren't exposed on the outside of the
tread[*], you can sometimes ride the tire until it wears out. I've done
it more than once, though I've only really dared with rear tires. Never
had a blowout.

[*] Stitch from inside of casing, penetrate through casing but not
through tread, so that stitches run between casing and tread. Hard to
do (a thimble and a waxed needle really help, also needlenose pliers to
pull the needle through). Use lots of fine stitches and make sure to
engage a lot of casing so the stitches don't pull out.

Mark J.

Dane Buson wrote:

> Oh my. Unforunately, the last time my tire went out there was nothing
> that would have saved it. Not even heroic application of dental floss.
> Any backstory on how long he had to ride it like that?
>
> Also, I'm writing a note to myself to leave a spare tire in the office.

I've had an old tyre wear all the way through on a hot tar day. The
first I knew as a series of small puffs as the inner tube began to
wear, releasing air at each revolution. There were several holes in the
tyre which I'm sure I could have push a pencil through, and there was
no chance of getting a replacement in Bundoran of a Sunday. I ran some
gaffer tape around the inside, and to my amzement it all held together
until i got home. Thirty miles.