Credit-card touring vs. organized camping ride in Sierra Nevada? (plus other questions)

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Tom Banchy, Feb 24, 2003.

  1. Tom Banchy

    Tom Banchy Guest

    Greetings all,

    I have done a bunch of "Ride The Rockies"-style weeklong rides in Colorado, Oregon and elsewhere,
    and wanted to know if anyone is familiar with any similar format (low- to no-frills) rides in the
    general area of the Markleeville Death Ride. I have searched the net unsuccessfully. I wouldn't mind
    doing the Death Ride itself, but I would rather take a week and have a vacation. Mike J's great page
    on Sonora Pass has been in the back of my mind for quite a while.

    If there really is no organized option, then credit-card touring with a Carradice bag is my next
    choice. Can anyone offer opinions on towns that provide a good base for crossing all the Death Ride
    passes? Is there an especially good time of year to go? It seems like May/June offers the chance to
    beat the summer vacationers and still have lots of daylight, but I don't know about snow on the
    high passes.

    I might loosely base my route on the Timberline "High Sierra Adventure" ride, but with more climbing
    and mileage per day (probably 80+ miles per day). They start/finish in Truckee and overnight in (I
    believe) Coleville, S. Lake Tahoe, Murphys, Dardanelle.

    Thanks for any feedback, Tom

    Tags:

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Wayne & Sue do low frills trips when there not wintering in New Zealand.

    - Steve

    http://www.waynesue.com

    news:[email protected]...