Credit-card touring vs. organized camping ride in Sierra Nevada? (plus other questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Banchy

Greetings all,

I have done a bunch of "Ride The Rockies"-style weeklong rides in Colorado, Oregon and elsewhere,
and wanted to know if anyone is familiar with any similar format (low- to no-frills) rides in the
general area of the Markleeville Death Ride. I have searched the net unsuccessfully. I wouldn't mind
doing the Death Ride itself, but I would rather take a week and have a vacation. Mike J's great page
on Sonora Pass has been in the back of my mind for quite a while.

If there really is no organized option, then credit-card touring with a Carradice bag is my next
choice. Can anyone offer opinions on towns that provide a good base for crossing all the Death Ride
passes? Is there an especially good time of year to go? It seems like May/June offers the chance to
beat the summer vacationers and still have lots of daylight, but I don't know about snow on the
high passes.

I might loosely base my route on the Timberline "High Sierra Adventure" ride, but with more climbing
and mileage per day (probably 80+ miles per day). They start/finish in Truckee and overnight in (I
believe) Coleville, S. Lake Tahoe, Murphys, Dardanelle.

Thanks for any feedback, Tom

Wayne & Sue do low frills trips when there not wintering in New Zealand.

- Steve

http://www.waynesue.com

"Tom Banchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Greetings all,
>
> I have done a bunch of "Ride The Rockies"-style weeklong rides in Colorado, Oregon and elsewhere,
> and wanted to know if anyone is familiar with any similar format (low- to no-frills) rides in the
> general area of the Markleeville Death Ride. I have searched the net unsuccessfully. I wouldn't
> mind doing the Death Ride itself, but I would rather take a week and have a vacation. Mike J's
> great page on Sonora Pass has been in the back of my mind for quite a while.
>
> If there really is no organized option, then credit-card touring with a Carradice bag is my next
> choice. Can anyone offer opinions on towns that provide a good base for crossing all the Death
> Ride passes? Is there an especially good time of year to go? It seems like May/June offers the
> chance to beat the summer vacationers and still have lots of daylight, but I don't know about snow
> on the high passes.
>
> I might loosely base my route on the Timberline "High Sierra Adventure" ride, but with more
> climbing and mileage per day (probably 80+ miles per day). They start/finish in Truckee and
> overnight in (I believe) Coleville, S. Lake Tahoe, Murphys, Dardanelle.
>
> Thanks for any feedback, Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.