Creepy Bayless

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 12:54:07 -0500, Nancy Young
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm really not sure what you mean. At any rate, someone is creepy to me that I would not want
>examining me or kissing me or alone in an elevator with me. Or examining my kid. Just a gut
>feeling that something is not right. Everyone has those feelings, just depends how you pay
>attention to them.
>
>nancy

my internist seems to have an unhealthy obsession with my body.

your pal, blake

Richard Periut wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Richard Periut wrote

> >>Ah, but now one must get into the semantics of what creepy is?

> > I'm really not sure what you mean. At any rate, someone is creepy to me that I would not want
> > examining me or kissing me or alone in an elevator with me. Or examining my kid.
>
> What I'm trying to say, is that the "creep", if he's a physician, because of his looks or gestures
> characterizng him as "creep", may be the one to diagnose your kid with a deadly disease in it's
> early stages, or something akin.

This is not an argument, let me get that out right off the bat. This started with someone who said
their kid's doctor creeped them out. I'm saying, change doctors, trust your gut. There are many good
doctors out there. I can personally recommend one in Chicago (laugh).

When I said I didn't understand what you meant, I meant about the semantics about defining a
creep. I understood what you meant about the person should perhaps be judged by their talent and
training, etc.

nancy

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Richard Periut wrote:

>>>Ah, but now one must get into the semantics of what creepy is?
>>>
>>>Rich
>>
>>I'm really not sure what you mean. At any rate, someone is creepy to me that I would not want
>>examining me or kissing me or alone in an elevator with me. Or examining my kid. Just a gut
>>feeling that something is not right. Everyone has those feelings, just depends how you pay
>>attention to them.
>

> If someone seems creepy to you, then it is probably best to find another doctor. I say this not
> because there is likely to be an issue with the doctor, but because it will be an impediment in
> your relationship with the doctor. Creepy is relative. I find fundamentalist preachers creepy. I
> think that Dr. T. Barry Braselton is sort of creepy. I doubt that either example is likely to do
> anything inappropriate. Sometimes people seem creepy because we don't understand their culture or
> because of prejudices that we have learned. My assumption about the comment concerning the
> pediatrician is that the poster was insinuating that the doctor was gay and therefore was likely
> to molest the child. This is an example of bias that is false, but widely perpetuated. Therefore,
> while the poster might find the doctor creepy, there is no rational basis for the concern. The
> real problem, as I see it, is that the person walks away from the relationship labeling the doctor
> bad instead of walking away realizing that the fault lies within himself.

If it was that, the insinuation was not that clear, then I agree 100%. However, most pedophiles
don't behave like that with adults around.

If it was because of other gestures or looks, what's important is that the person is competent and
knows what he/she is doing.

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

"Vox Humana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Richard Periut wrote:

> > > Ah, but now one must get into the semantics of what creepy is?
> > >
> > > Rich
> >
> > I'm really not sure what you mean. At any rate, someone is creepy to me that I would not want
> > examining me or kissing me or alone in an elevator with me. Or examining my kid. Just a gut
> > feeling that something is not right. Everyone has those feelings, just depends how you pay
> > attention to them.
>
> If someone seems creepy to you, then it is probably best to find another doctor. I say this not
> because there is likely to be an issue with the doctor, but because it will be an impediment in
> your relationship with the doctor. Creepy is relative. I find fundamentalist preachers creepy. I
> think that Dr. T. Barry Braselton is sort of creepy.

He spooks me too. The same way my sister thinks Winnie the Pooh is creepy.

Nancy Young wrote:

> Richard Periut wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>>Richard Periut wrote

>>>I'm really not sure what you mean. At any rate, someone is creepy to me that I would not want
>>>examining me or kissing me or alone in an elevator with me. Or examining my kid.
>>
>>What I'm trying to say, is that the "creep", if he's a physician, because of his looks or gestures
>>characterizng him as "creep", may be the one to diagnose your kid with a deadly disease in it's
>>early stages, or something akin.
>

> This is not an argument, let me get that out right off the bat. This started with someone who said
> their kid's doctor creeped them out. I'm saying, change doctors, trust your gut. There are many
> good doctors out there. I can personally recommend one in Chicago (laugh).
>
> When I said I didn't understand what you meant, I meant about the semantics about defining a
> creep. I understood what you meant about the person should perhaps be judged by their talent and
> training, etc.
>
> nancy

As you can tell, the word has many different meanings, especially # 5:

Main Entry: 2creep Function: noun
1 : a movement of or like creeping <traffic moving at a creep>
2 : a distressing sensation like that caused by the creeping of insects over one's flesh;
especially : a feeling of apprehension or horror -- usually used in plural with the <that gives
me the creeps>
3 : a feed trough or enclosure that young animals can enter while adults are excluded
4 : the slow change of dimensions of an object from prolonged exposure to high temperature or stress
5 : an unpleasant or obnoxious person

© 2004 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Who said it was an argument? I consider it a civilized polemic.

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

"Richard Periut" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >>I'm really not sure what you mean. At any rate, someone is creepy to me that I would not want
> >>examining me or kissing me or alone in an elevator with me. Or examining my kid. Just a gut
> >>feeling that something is not right. Everyone has those feelings, just depends how you pay
> >>attention to them.
> >

> > If someone seems creepy to you, then it is probably best to find another doctor. I say this not
> > because there is likely to be an issue with the doctor, but because it will be an impediment in
> > your relationship with
the
> > doctor. Creepy is relative. I find fundamentalist preachers creepy. I think that Dr. T. Barry
> > Braselton is sort of creepy. I doubt that
either
> > example is likely to do anything inappropriate. Sometimes people seem creepy because we don't
> > understand their culture or because of
prejudices
> > that we have learned. My assumption about the comment concerning the pediatrician is that the
> > poster was insinuating that the doctor was gay
and
> > therefore was likely to molest the child. This is an example of bias
that
> > is false, but widely perpetuated. Therefore, while the poster might
find
> > the doctor creepy, there is no rational basis for the concern. The real problem, as I see it, is
> > that the person walks away from the
relationship
> > labeling the doctor bad instead of walking away realizing that the fault lies within himself.
> >

> If it was that, the insinuation was not that clear, then I agree 100%. However, most pedophiles
> don't behave like that with adults around.
>
> If it was because of other gestures or looks, what's important is that the person is competent and
> knows what he/she is doing.

I don't know what else the comments could have meant but I would be open to suggestions.

"Nina" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Vox Humana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > If someone seems creepy to you, then it is probably best to find another doctor. I say this not
> > because there is likely to be an issue with the doctor, but because it will be an impediment in
> > your relationship with
the
> > doctor. Creepy is relative. I find fundamentalist preachers creepy. I think that Dr. T. Barry
> > Braselton is sort of creepy.
>
> He spooks me too. The same way my sister thinks Winnie the Pooh is creepy.

I always thought that Gumby was weird, too.

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:16:09 -0700, "Nina" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>He spooks me too. The same way my sister thinks Winnie the Pooh is creepy.

keep an eye on your sister. she's a shrewd one.

your pal, blake

Richard Periut wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > This is not an argument, let me get that out right off the bat. This started with someone who
> > said their kid's doctor creeped them out. I'm saying, change doctors, trust your gut. There are
> > many good doctors out there. I can personally recommend one in Chicago (laugh).
> >
> > When I said I didn't understand what you meant, I meant about the semantics about defining a
> > creep. I understood what you meant about the person should perhaps be judged by their talent and
> > training, etc.
> >
> > nancy
>
> As you can tell, the word has many different meanings, especially # 5:
>
> Main Entry: 2creep

> 2 : a distressing sensation like that caused by the creeping of insects over one's flesh;
> especially : a feeling of apprehension or horror -- usually used in plural with the <that
> gives me the creeps>

Precisely.

> Who said it was an argument? I consider it a civilized polemic.

Not me. I was just making sure, sometimes people take things wrong, especially when it's just
in writing.

nancy

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 19:03:22 GMT, Richard Periut <[email protected]>

>As you can tell, the word has many different meanings, especially # 5:
>
>Main Entry: 2creep Function: noun
>1 : a movement of or like creeping <traffic moving at a creep>
>2 : a distressing sensation like that caused by the creeping of insects over one's flesh;
> especially : a feeling of apprehension or horror -- usually used in plural with the <that gives
> me the creeps>
>3 : a feed trough or enclosure that young animals can enter while adults are excluded
>4 : the slow change of dimensions of an object from prolonged exposure to high temperature or
> stress
>5 : an unpleasant or obnoxious person
>
>© 2004 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated
>
>Who said it was an argument? I consider it a civilized polemic.
>
>Rich

i wonder which of the definitions 'mission creep' would fall under?

your pal, blake

On 2004-02-03, Robert Klute <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yeah, but his presentation skills are still way better than most, if not all, of the other chefs
> who were profiled on the Great Chefs series. I like him better than Jeremiah Tower, who brings new
> meaning to flat delivery.

What, you didn't read the rest of my post where I praised him for things other than his silly
verbal delivery?

nb