well its raining in pommie land so SBS has started the TdF coverage early just to trick everyone who set their video recorder for 11.10

Enjoy whatever you manage to get

Hugh

On 2005-07-24, HughMann (aka Bruce)

> well its raining in pommie land so SBS has started the TdF coverage
> early just to trick everyone who set their video recorder for 11.10
>
> Enjoy whatever you manage to get

Damn! I got in after the shopping just on 11:10, and the ads were on,
so I knew they were at least ontime.

So are they going slowly because of the rain, and not wanting to do a
Rasmussen, or because of some tactic I haven't yet heard of?

Hey! Lance needed a help across the line!

--
TimC
> So, what do *you* do for a living?

I sit in a chair, pressing small plastic rectangles with my fingers
while peering at many tiny, colored dots. -- Peter Manders

TimC wrote:
> On 2005-07-24, HughMann (aka Bruce)
>
>>well its raining in pommie land so SBS has started the TdF coverage
>>early just to trick everyone who set their video recorder for 11.10
>>
>>Enjoy whatever you manage to get

> Damn! I got in after the shopping just on 11:10, and the ads were on,
> so I knew they were at least ontime.
>
> So are they going slowly because of the rain, and not wanting to do a
> Rasmussen, or because of some tactic I haven't yet heard of?
>
> Hey! Lance needed a help across the line!

It's sort of traditional that they take it easy on the last day.It's a
kind of celebration.
Wait until they enter paris and you'll see breakaway after breakaway as
they have one last shot at fame.

Zoom

Zoom said:
It's sort of traditional that they take it easy on the last day.It's a
kind of celebration.
Wait until they enter paris and you'll see breakaway after breakaway as
they have one last shot at fame.

Yeah, most stuff has been decided by now. Last few years though the Green has still been up for grabs. Even this year, Stuey or Robbie could still take it..
Lance just has to stay upright.

hippy

What is the deal with cutting off the TDF in its last moments for another 12 months???:eek:

I have discovered that watching the grass grow next to the pitch is thoroughly more entertaining than watching shots of guys dressed in white standing around chewing gum but it still doesn't beat the last moments of the TDF! what is the deal SBS???

It's not like anyone would miss anything if they let the TDF run to completion...it's not like anything actually happens in cricket!!!

nb: this is my personal opinion and doesn't necessarily mean that I think that everyone thinks this way!!!(although it's surprising if they don't)

Shabby said:
SBS are a bunch of ****s!
There is something truly spectacular about an athlete who can sprint following a 3500+km ride...what the hell is spectacular about guys throwing balls, standing around, chewing gum, and advertising hair replacement clinics??? I just don't get it! Please will someone who likes cricket explain it to me?:confused:

endroll said:
There is something truly spectacular about an athlete who can sprint following a 3500+km ride...what the hell is spectacular about guys throwing balls, standing around, chewing gum, and advertising hair replacement clinics??? I just don't get it! Please will someone who likes cricket explain it to me?:confused:

I'm almost afraid to ask.. but.. what did you guys actually see of the last stage?

hippy
- glad he didn't spend money getting to Paris..

hippy said:
I'm almost afraid to ask.. but.. what did you guys actually see of the last stage?

hippy
- glad he didn't spend money getting to Paris..
2/10ths of 3/5ths of Fcuk all!

hippy said:
I'm almost afraid to ask.. but.. what did you guys actually see of the last stage?

hippy
- glad he didn't spend money getting to Paris..

they showed a lot of the bit where everhyone rolls into Paris leisurely, then cut to the cricket just after they hit the Champs. We did get to see the lsat lap though.....

And what's with the crit rules for the last stage......soft...

I have to play devil's advocate here for SBS, I think SBS is going to
get higher ratings for the Ashes test than it would for the Tour so
they show the Test. The advertisers help pay the bills so they show the
higher rating event.

Is the Tour on the Pay-TV non compete list or can Foxtel bid for the
rights and show the whole thing live in the future? I think that might
be a more productive route to take than complaining to SBS.

At least next year's tour is going to be more watchable due to Lance
trading in his bike for a zimmer frame...

In article <[email protected]>,
"SuperCujo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have to play devil's advocate here for SBS, I think SBS is going to
> get higher ratings for the Ashes test than it would for the Tour so
> they show the Test.

That's rather missing the point: they have one-off cricket coverage
because of strange politics, and when the series ends they'll lose most
of those viewers. The cycling coverage is more about building a loyal,
regular audience.

--
Shane Stanley

Shane Stanley wrote:

> That's rather missing the point: they have one-off cricket coverage
> because of strange politics, and when the series ends they'll lose most
> of those viewers. The cycling coverage is more about building a loyal,
> regular audience.

oh please. i'm absolutely sure i'm not the only person who after the
last stage of the tour doesn't watch another minute of sbs until next
year assuming they have it again, of course almost every other sport has
coverage on both free to air and cable. if it's covered on cable i'll be
watching it there most likely as typically the coverage is far better in
terms of viewing time both live and rebroadcast.

the ashes are completely opportunistic on the part of sbs and will
result in revenue they would not have otherwise seen. it's a purely
commerical decision to provide coverage to the largest audience. we can
all moan about that but the fact is we (as an audience interested in
cycling coverage) are by *far* the minority here. a sad fact of life.

In article <[email protected]>,
spook <[email protected]> wrote:

> oh please. i'm absolutely sure i'm not the only person who after the
> last stage of the tour doesn't watch another minute of sbs until next
> year assuming they have it again

So you don't watch any of SBS's other coverage of cycling? I suspect a
lot of people tuning in for the past three weeks also watch SBS's
regular highlights packages of other events, and possibly their summer
cycling show.

--
Shane Stanley

Shane Stanley wrote:

> So you don't watch any of SBS's other coverage of cycling? I suspect a
> lot of people tuning in for the past three weeks also watch SBS's
> regular highlights packages of other events, and possibly their summer
> cycling show.

the only other cycling show i've seen on sbs is the regular 30 minute
show on i think sunday morning at 10:30am, a time that i'm rarely (never
home) and so no i don't watch it. mostly if i'm watching cycling it's on
cable.

brett

spook wrote:
> Shane Stanley wrote:
>

>> So you don't watch any of SBS's other coverage of cycling? I suspect a
>> lot of people tuning in for the past three weeks also watch SBS's
>> regular highlights packages of other events, and possibly their summer
>> cycling show.

> the only other cycling show i've seen on sbs is the regular 30 minute
> show on i think sunday morning at 10:30am, a time that i'm rarely (never
> home) and so no i don't watch it. mostly if i'm watching cycling it's on
> cable.
>
> brett

I'm a bit suprised at the amount of complaining about SBS' coverage of
the Tour. In previous years we only got a half an hour of highlights,
and even that was really only about 20 minutes after you subtract the
chit chat that goes on before it. This year has been the most extensive
coverage I've ever seen. The only sad bit was the anticlimax of the
shortened last stage, other than that it was great.
Secondly, I felt a bit let down when Rasmussen didn't do a Riis type
bike throw. He looked angry enough. I wonder what was said between him
and the mechanic after the race?

Zoom