Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • West Indies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What the hell is Cricket?

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
Well thanks to a vital miscalculation from our captain and Kie we lost out on the super sixes, he admitted to miscalculating the required score and sending the wrong message out to Bouch in the middle.
This is the second time in the tournament that he was totaly unprepared for the rain, and I feel he's totaly out of his depth as captain and doesn't deserve the captancy!
He buggered it up against New Zealand by not bowling Ntini out before the rain started, it was clear to all of us at the grounds that it was going to rain and he just caried on and we ended up with bowlers who couldn't get anything right in the end having to bowl the last overs - no Ntini!
Last night he couldn't work out the correct target with all the help available in the dressing room! In the meantime Jayasuriya had a piece of paper in his pocket with all the correct info on. Why could he get it right and we could not???
If Bouch knew we needed 1 more run the last ball would have been dispatched the same way as the previous ball, but he thought they had the game wrapped up- His captain told him so, why should he doubt it??? :mad: :mad:
See the report below.

We blundered over victory target - Pollock
Reuters - 3 March 2003

South African captain Shaun Pollock conceded that a miscalculation in the dressing room cost his team the chance of victory over Sri Lanka after Monday's rain-affected tie sent the hosts tumbling out of the World Cup.

With rain falling and the game set to be cut short, Pollock said 12th man Nicky Boje had got a message to Mark Boucher in the middle that, in the case of a revised target, 229 runs would be needed for South Africa to win. In reality, 230 were required.

Boucher hit what proved to be the penultimate ball of the match from spinner Muttiah Muralitharan for six to take the score to 229, then defended the final delivery of the over.

"Boje wasn't able to get out there and give them the piece of paper to keep, but the message that was portrayed was 229," a clearly emotional Pollock said afterwards.

"But you can't look at that and worry about that. He (Boucher) didn't know the game was going to finish after that ball.

"There was a lot that went on after that ball before we came off. If we'd faced one more ball of the next over and got one off that, we could have been through. There are lots of ifs and buts."

However, Sri Lankan captain Sanath Jayasuriya said he was fully aware that 229 was enough for the tie.

"We knew that it (229) was for the tie - I had the sheet in my hand," he said with a grin. "I had the sheet when it started to rain."

Pollock, who could be seen with his head in his hands as the rain continued to fall, said his squad felt the downpours had abated enough for the teams to return to the field and complete the match.

"We just felt that it had got to the stage where it was raining the same. There's no rule that says you can't go out if it's spitting. But they (umpires Steve Bucknor and Srinivas Venkatraghavan) decided it was unfit for play and you have to by the umps' decisions.

"You can look at all the ifs and buts but in the end it doesn't help much."

Sri Lanka had posted a total of 268 for nine after winning the toss. Under the Duckworth-Lewis scoring system, victory targets can be revised up or down, depending how much time is left and how well the chasing team has been batting, if matches are curtailed by rain.

Monday's extraordinary finale was an eerie repeat of the 1999 World Cup in England, when South Africa were eliminated in the semi-finals after a tie with Australia. The Australians went through because of their better record in previous games.

Pollock, who was in that 1999 side which lost to the Australians at Edgbaston, added of Monday outcome: "It's got to rank up there as possibly the most disappointing thing.

"Two ties in the last two World Cups and out of both of them. The guys are gutted. I felt we deserved better on the day."

© Reuters

I don't think it was Polly that did the calculations. But whoever the bozo is that did the sums, should be put out in the middle of Kingsmead pitch and stoned!

Actually I'm kinda glad it's over. Now I can concentrate on the F1 channel on DSTV.

Originally posted by Vo2
I don't think it was Polly that did the calculations. But whoever the bozo is that did the sums, should be put out in the middle of Kingsmead pitch and stoned!

The match was fixed, everyone knows that :D

Originally posted by Vo2

Actually I'm kinda glad it's over. Now I can concentrate on the F1 channel on DSTV.

The captain, coach, team manager & selectors should be on the red carpet. (the physio as well - just for in case...) :D :D
AND LETS NOT FORGET HANSIE AND THE BOOKIES! ;)

Originally posted by Vo2

My thoughts precisely

So...My money is now on Kenya to take the CWC :D

A unique opportunity has arisen to purchase these limited edition pieces of memorabilia from the ICC World Cup. There will only be 500 of these released worldwide so be in quick.

The picture captures Mark Boucher in a splendid forward defensive stroke and Lance Klusener happily leaning on his bat at the non-strikers end as the last ball of the 45th over of South Africa's innings against Sri Lanka is bowled. It captures perfectly the moment when the South African management had a brain melt and assured the batsmen that 229 was enough for victory, when they needed 230 to advance to the Super Six.

The picture is titled "Oh no, Not a-f**king-gain" and will sell at $1000 + p & p

But hey thats not all, you also get a picture of Lance during the West Indies game, standing- staring in the direction of their fielder catching him out when he should have been crossing over so that Ntini would not have to face the next ball.
For an extra $500 you can also buy "Oh f**k it!", the limited edition picture from the 1999 World Cup capturing the sheer confusion of the moment when Allan Donald had a brain melt and forgot how to run. ( and hey guess what, guess who is also in the photo ............. that man Lance, once again )

Why not buy the boxed set of "South African Cricket - Why we have never won the f**in World Cup" which includes the previously unreleased "You've got to be f**king joking!", a picture which captures the looks on the faces of the South African batsmen faces after the big screen flashes up that the revised target they were chasing for victory vs. England in the 1992 World Cup Semi Final: 22 runs off 1 ball.

This opportunity to re-live the greatest moments in South African Cricket history is very limited so hurry while stocks last.

Thanks VO2 but I have all off the above mentioned moments perfectly and permanently embedded in my memory archives. :(
Mine though has a lot more "f..ing" and other descriptive words that you wont allow on this site. :D :D
I also have the photo of a certain mister Gibbs trying to throw a ball up in the air that's no longer in his hands!! "Where did the f..ing ball go? It was here a moment ago. Really IT WAS!"
Damn all of the above are the National team and only in world cups, I wonder what its like at club level? :p

Ok, so I'm sure most people would have noticed South Africa is not in the CWC anymore.

What next? The SA Cricket Board had to gt some excuse why we did not make it. Instead of accepting their faults, they moved all the blame to the SA Circket Captain (or should I say EX-SA Cricket Captain). Yes, he has been replaced stating that his leadership skills and captaincy is not good enough.

Funny, sure was good enough 3 months ago when we thrashed, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

I for one am very happy that we fell out of the CWC if that is the attitude of our selectors. :mad:

At least he isn't being hunted by the secret police....

In Australia we just drop them from the team and they become television commentators. In Zimbabwe they shoot them.

Well, well, well...2 in a row. May I say that y/days game was absolutely thrilling (and I'm only referring to the Ausie Batting).

I believe a well done and congratulations is in order........but I'll leave that to someone else:D :D

Nah, just joking, well played mates. You guys really deserved it. Wait 4 years and we'll see you again.

Originally posted by Blimp
Lets hope you make it out of the blocks next time.

Well done Australia, u deserve it! It will take some work from all the other Nations but we will catch up and give you a run for your money in the Caribbean.
Blimp, we WILL be back, and next time we will stick around for the party! ;)

Let's hope so.

I have long thought the only real opposition in the final would come from SA.

By the next world cup, some of our Aussies will be getting a bit long in the tooth. Even Ponting will be over the hill...

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that we didn't make it thro to the final, because the Aussies would of annihilated us.
Well done to the my Aussie mates, your team was awesome.

As for our beleaguered national team, well, what can one say?