Cricking sound from center of bike

J0hndav

May 17, 2009
I hope you can help because it's driving me mad! Every revolution of my cranks when peddling hard I hear this sound 2 to 4 times, depending on pressure. My helpful bike shop suggested seat post but it happens when I stand also. The bottom bracket is rough, chain is worn and both will be replaced but this sound needs sorting first.

No, I just wanted to confirm if it was or wasn't. Have you had the same thing with a bottom bracket?

J0hndav said:
I hope you can help because it's driving me mad! Every revolution of my cranks when peddling hard I hear this sound 2 to 4 times, depending on pressure. My helpful bike shop suggested seat post but it happens when I stand also. The bottom bracket is rough, chain is worn and both will be replaced but this sound needs sorting first.

This could be just about anything. Since you already know that your BB and chain have problems (and the same, consequently, may be true for the cassette/chainrings), you should first fix what needs fixing. This may solve your issue, and if it doesn't, you'll go from there.

Make sure it isn't coming from your shoes and the cleats. I had an annoying noise and it went when I changed the cleat, and I sometimes (depending on the temperature and the tightness of the locking mechanism on my cleats - I have an old design) get sounds from my shoes when pedalling as well.

I agree withYOJIMBO could be cleats I had this Problem with Look cleats and pedals replaced cleats and noise stopped for a little while but then returned I ended up replacing pedals with look Kleo Carbons and noise has not returned

I have had it coming from the BB and also the headset. It doesn't take long to go through a check on these items.

J0hndav said:
No, I just wanted to confirm if it was or wasn't. Have you had the same thing with a bottom bracket?

Hold the bike real close to the computer...now rotate the crank....

Sorry, being sarcastic. Really hard to diagnose w/o hearing it. Could be anything, starting with pedals and BB, those things that rotate in the same frequency as the noise.

I had new bike and BB clicked on each revolution after a few weeks. Careful inspection revealed a crack clean through the BB outer shell. New better quality bearings and still going. Same happened with the rear axle.

New bikes can have some low-end bearings, just bad luck, or can also be due to over-tightening of the bearings in the factory or assembly shop.

I have a similar problem. I have done everything. Then yesterday I changed back to my old wheelset. The creaking went away. Apparently this new wheelset that I just had to have creaks and drives me mad.