Crikey - another thread!

cfsmtb

Apr 11, 2003
Recall this steaming P.O.S, mentioned briefly over the weekend in another a.b thread?
http://www.crikey.com.au/articles/2005/12/02-1538-8452.html

A seriously shite article - with scary *subtext* buried via hyperlinks to a completely unrelated issue. Does Michael Pascoe believe that hordes of rampaging feral cyclists, led by Lee Rhiannon swinging a shovel, were also responsible for that Sydney apartment collapse a few weeks back? We can only wonder at any future brainfarts Mr Pascoe may suffer.

Anyway, todays Crikey feedback from the viewers:

Tasio Sclavenitis, an investor and cyclist, writes:

I just read an article in Crikey, "NSW Government, on your bike" by Michael Pascoe (December 2, item 6). Firstly I would like to point out that not all investors are aggressive bald fat men in their 40's and 50's driving 4WD and suffering from a combination of impotency and road rage. I am an investor and until now a Crikey reader. I cycle commute every day and frankly I did not expect abuse directed towards cyclists in your pages. I thought Crikey was concerned about investment. When Mr Pascoe writes an article about tunnels and freeways, he needs to focus on the topic. In Crikey, I would have expected an article focussing on the corporations involved and the impacts on investors. Crikey, this is poor form. I am disappointed.

A cyclist writes:

Who is this Pascoe jerk? Lee Rhiannon comes up ten times better than the Rt Hon Egan, who as she says had no idea of transport issues or of cycling or of peaceful protest or of anything much – who will remember Egan in a few years except as a miserable tight wad who let the state run down. Sartor as wanting no cars in the CBD? Surely you jest? He was the one who got more free parking on weekends to please the entertainment lobby, thus clogging the city on the weekend, and supported more parking stations in the CBD. The likely result of a traffic boycott of the CCT is less traffic in the CBD, as people realise they didn't really need to drive somewhere anyway, surely a positive. Give up your cars, you have nothing to lose but your fear.

Chris writes:

Michael Pascoe wrote "Perhaps it's time for drivers to reclaim the streets. Given the tolerance of the pedal pushing traffic terrorists, perhaps it's time for a convoy of cars to blockade." Maybe he works from home....'cause if he got in a car (or maybe metal coffin – where 5 Australians die every day) Crikey would know that there's a convoy of cars blockade every day across Sydney...it's called traffic and it's not working.

Noel writes:

Bicycles = People Culture, whereas cars, buses and trucks = Car Culture. Car Culture is the dominant ideology to which traffic engineers and transport authorities are devotees. Bicycles are determined to be motor vehicles by law, yet pedestrians, cars, buses and trucks have their dedicated space within the roadway (the roadway being defined as being from property boundary to opposite property boundary) but bicycles are not provided such dedicated space (Bicycle lanes). When Car Culture people step out of their motor vehicles they are intimidated by the threat of injury from motor vehicles and this is an antisocial situation that we all experience whether as cyclists or pedestrians. Motor vehicles, either cars, buses or trucks, all privately or publicly owned transport, all pollute and degrade our environment. Therefore, Car Culture is antisocial. Here are two slogans for us to use against Car Culture devotees. People Culture is Bicycle Culture, say no to Car Culture; Car Culture is antisocial. Unless there is any better idea, bring on high oil prices.

cfsmtb said:
Recall this steaming P.O.S, mentioned briefly over the weekend in another a.b thread?
http://www.crikey.com.au/articles/2005/12/02-1538-8452.html

A seriously shite article - with scary *subtext* buried via hyperlinks to a completely unrelated issue. Does Michael Pascoe believe that hordes of rampaging feral cyclists, led by Lee Rhiannon swinging a shovel, were also responsible for that Sydney apartment collapse a few weeks back? We can only wonder at any future brainfarts Mr Pascoe may suffer.

Anyway, todays Crikey feedback from the viewers:

Tasio Sclavenitis, an investor and cyclist, writes:

I just read an article in Crikey, "NSW Government, on your bike" by Michael Pascoe (December 2, item 6). Firstly I would like to point out that not all investors are aggressive bald fat men in their 40's and 50's driving 4WD and suffering from a combination of impotency and road rage. I am an investor and until now a Crikey reader. I cycle commute every day and frankly I did not expect abuse directed towards cyclists in your pages. I thought Crikey was concerned about investment. When Mr Pascoe writes an article about tunnels and freeways, he needs to focus on the topic. In Crikey, I would have expected an article focussing on the corporations involved and the impacts on investors. Crikey, this is poor form. I am disappointed.

A cyclist writes:

Who is this Pascoe jerk? Lee Rhiannon comes up ten times better than the Rt Hon Egan, who as she says had no idea of transport issues or of cycling or of peaceful protest or of anything much – who will remember Egan in a few years except as a miserable tight wad who let the state run down. Sartor as wanting no cars in the CBD? Surely you jest? He was the one who got more free parking on weekends to please the entertainment lobby, thus clogging the city on the weekend, and supported more parking stations in the CBD. The likely result of a traffic boycott of the CCT is less traffic in the CBD, as people realise they didn't really need to drive somewhere anyway, surely a positive. Give up your cars, you have nothing to lose but your fear.

Chris writes:

Michael Pascoe wrote "Perhaps it's time for drivers to reclaim the streets. Given the tolerance of the pedal pushing traffic terrorists, perhaps it's time for a convoy of cars to blockade." Maybe he works from home....'cause if he got in a car (or maybe metal coffin – where 5 Australians die every day) Crikey would know that there's a convoy of cars blockade every day across Sydney...it's called traffic and it's not working.

Noel writes:

Bicycles = People Culture, whereas cars, buses and trucks = Car Culture. Car Culture is the dominant ideology to which traffic engineers and transport authorities are devotees. Bicycles are determined to be motor vehicles by law, yet pedestrians, cars, buses and trucks have their dedicated space within the roadway (the roadway being defined as being from property boundary to opposite property boundary) but bicycles are not provided such dedicated space (Bicycle lanes). When Car Culture people step out of their motor vehicles they are intimidated by the threat of injury from motor vehicles and this is an antisocial situation that we all experience whether as cyclists or pedestrians. Motor vehicles, either cars, buses or trucks, all privately or publicly owned transport, all pollute and degrade our environment. Therefore, Car Culture is antisocial. Here are two slogans for us to use against Car Culture devotees. People Culture is Bicycle Culture, say no to Car Culture; Car Culture is antisocial. Unless there is any better idea, bring on high oil prices.
I abused a cyclist on the way home last night....

getting home from the 24 Hour, I was TIRED, cranky, hungry and it just p*****s me off, when a cyclist, just runs straight through a red light, Domain Intersection, I was coming from Domain Road, crossing St Kilda Road, to go straight across and turn left down Park street, cyclist passes through red light, as I am doing my turn and I have to head straight over to the left lane, so as I drove past him, I gave him a, "you are a f***ing idiot".... its so frustrating