Criminals on TV

Steve Firth

Guest
Last week on TV there was a short video featuring the antics of a
cyclist in Lancashire. The programme was supposed to be advocating the
benefits of cycling as a means of getting to work.

In it the cyclist used what appeared to be a helmet mounted camera and
gave a running commentary on his progress. The person in question was
styled as an active campaigner for cycling and has contributed in the
past to "The Cycle Campaign Network's Campaign for High Standards."

One might, therefore, have expected to see a demonstration of the best
in cycling proficiency with, perhaps, some comment on the economic,
environmental and health benefits of cycling. Instead the program
portrayed someone bleating self-righteously about every other road user
while throwing in such comments as "whoops it's a bit naughty but I need
to go the wrong way down a one-way street here to save time." He also
showed the usual disregard for Give Way and STOP markings and for red
lights, preferring instead to shout aloud about his love of "sweeping
turns downhill" which were achieved by the simple expedient of not
looking at oncoming traffic and diving around a curve flat out, ignoring
the STOP marking where that curve led onto another road.

General standards of cycling portrayed in the video were IMO low with
scant regard to traffic law.

Is this how cyclists wish to be seen by the general public? Self
righteous tits who consider that the law applies only to others?

I hope the police use the video as evidence for prosecution as they
would in the case of a motorist who recorded himself driving recklessly.

On 13 Aug, 15:33, %[email protected] (Steve Firth) wrote:
> Last week on TV there was a short video featuring the antics of a
> cyclist in Lancashire. The programme was supposed to be advocating the
> benefits of cycling as a means of getting to work.

What channel/programme?

"Steve Firth" <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> wrote in message
> Last week on TV there was a short video featuring the antics of a
> cyclist in Lancashire. The programme was supposed to be advocating the
> benefits of cycling as a means of getting to work.
>
> In it the cyclist used what appeared to be a helmet mounted camera and
> gave a running commentary on his progress. The person in question was
> styled as an active campaigner for cycling and has contributed in the
> past to "The Cycle Campaign Network's Campaign for High Standards."
>
> One might, therefore, have expected to see a demonstration of the best
> in cycling proficiency with, perhaps, some comment on the economic,
> environmental and health benefits of cycling. Instead the program
> portrayed someone bleating self-righteously about every other road user
> while throwing in such comments as "whoops it's a bit naughty but I need
> to go the wrong way down a one-way street here to save time." He also
> showed the usual disregard for Give Way and STOP markings and for red
> lights, preferring instead to shout aloud about his love of "sweeping
> turns downhill" which were achieved by the simple expedient of not
> looking at oncoming traffic and diving around a curve flat out, ignoring
> the STOP marking where that curve led onto another road.
>
> General standards of cycling portrayed in the video were IMO low with
> scant regard to traffic law.
>
> Is this how cyclists wish to be seen by the general public? Self
> righteous tits who consider that the law applies only to others?
>
> I hope the police use the video as evidence for prosecution as they
> would in the case of a motorist who recorded himself driving recklessly.

Complain to the TV company. If this guy is ment to represent the behaviour
of a well trained cyclist, he is doing harm to our image, as if this isn't
tarnished enough amongst an already prejudiced motoring public.

David Lloyd

CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 13 Aug, 15:33, %[email protected] (Steve Firth) wrote:
> > Last week on TV there was a short video featuring the antics of a
> > cyclist in Lancashire. The programme was supposed to be advocating the
> > benefits of cycling as a means of getting to work.

> What channel/programme?

Dang, you expect me to notive stuff like that? The TV was in "noise in
the background, I'm in a hotel" mode. Probably Channel 4, around 8pm I
think. Perhaps Cheeky can remember the details.

On Aug 13, 3:33 pm, %[email protected] (Steve Firth) wrote:
> Last week on TV there was a short video featuring the antics of a
> cyclist in Lancashire. The programme was supposed to be advocating the
> benefits of cycling as a means of getting to work.
>
> In it the cyclist used what appeared to be a helmet mounted camera and
> gave a running commentary on his progress. The person in question was
> styled as an active campaigner for cycling and has contributed in the
> past to "The Cycle Campaign Network's Campaign for High Standards."
>
> One might, therefore, have expected to see a demonstration of the best
> in cycling proficiency with, perhaps, some comment on the economic,
> environmental and health benefits of cycling. Instead the program
> portrayed someone bleating self-righteously about every other road user
> while throwing in such comments as "whoops it's a bit naughty but I need
> to go the wrong way down a one-way street here to save time." He also
> showed the usual disregard for Give Way and STOP markings and for red
> lights, preferring instead to shout aloud about his love of "sweeping
> turns downhill" which were achieved by the simple expedient of not
> looking at oncoming traffic and diving around a curve flat out, ignoring
> the STOP marking where that curve led onto another road.
>
> General standards of cycling portrayed in the video were IMO low with
> scant regard to traffic law.
>
> Is this how cyclists wish to be seen by the general public? Self
> righteous tits who consider that the law applies only to others?
>
> I hope the police use the video as evidence for prosecution as they
> would in the case of a motorist who recorded himself driving recklessly.

No need to me to comment on this one, it's all there....lol

David Lloyd <[email protected]> wrote:

> Complain to the TV company. If this guy is ment to represent the behaviour
> of a well trained cyclist, he is doing harm to our image, as if this isn't
> tarnished enough amongst an already prejudiced motoring public.

Having done a Google, I found a description of the program here:

http://www.channel4.com/4talent/feature.jsp?id=5166

And here:

http://www.portobellofilmfestival.com/2007/studios08.html

Robin Field - Country Commute (4'15) On a beautiful Cornish summers day
I documented my commute by push bike from Truro to Falmouth.

> David Lloyd <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Complain to the TV company. If this guy is ment to represent the
>> behaviour
>> of a well trained cyclist, he is doing harm to our image, as if this
>> isn't
>> tarnished enough amongst an already prejudiced motoring public.

> Having done a Google, I found a description of the program here:
>
> http://www.channel4.com/4talent/feature.jsp?id=5166
>
> And here:
>
> http://www.portobellofilmfestival.com/2007/studios08.html
>
> Robin Field - Country Commute (4'15) On a beautiful Cornish summers day
> I documented my commute by push bike from Truro to Falmouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrgmAE5-OOc

The two faults I saw were that one way street and poor road positioning. No
running of red lights, stop likes, etc.

clive

On 13 Aug, 19:23, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Steve Firth" <%[email protected]> wrote in message

> > David Lloyd <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Complain to the TV company. If this guy is ment to represent the
> >> behaviour
> >> of a well trained cyclist, he is doing harm to our image, as if this
> >> isn't
> >> tarnished enough amongst an already prejudiced motoring public.

> > Having done a Google, I found a description of the program here:

> >http://www.channel4.com/4talent/feature.jsp?id=5166

> > And here:

> >http://www.portobellofilmfestival.com/2007/studios08.html

> > Robin Field - Country Commute (4'15) On a beautiful Cornish summers day
> > I documented my commute by push bike from Truro to Falmouth.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrgmAE5-OOc
>
> The two faults I saw were that one way street and poor road positioning. No
> running of red lights, stop likes, etc.
>
> clive- Hide quoted text -

Oh, that's not bad.

Steve Firth <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> wrote:

> Last week on TV there was a short video featuring the antics of a
> cyclist in Lancashire.

Correction to that, I wasn't paying attention to the location. The video
was recorded in Cornwall.

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:33:46 +0100, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth)
wrote:

><snip>
>General standards of cycling portrayed in the video were IMO low with
>scant regard to traffic law.
>
>Is this how cyclists wish to be seen by the general public? Self
>righteous tits who consider that the law applies only to others?

IMO this is the behaviour of most commuting cyclists.

I do a (car) run into a city each day for work. Most cyclists I see
are running red lights/stop lines at junctions, on the road when there
is a good safe cycleway, cutting cars up, swapping from road to
pavement to take small short cuts and back to the road etc. etc. In
the winter many don't have lights, most don't have any bright clothing
at any time.

The police seem to ignore this behaviour, heck I've even seen them go
straight though lights past police cars sitting on the line!

I appreciate that commuting cyclists are only part of the wider
cycling community and I see many good cyclists around, it just seems
that the commuter is a different breed!

Jim

On Aug 13, 9:33 am, %[email protected] (Steve Firth) wrote:
> Last week on TV there was a short video featuring the antics of a
> cyclist in Lancashire. The programme was supposed to be advocating the
> benefits of cycling as a means of getting to work.
>
> In it the cyclist used what appeared to be a helmet mounted camera and
> gave a running commentary on his progress. The person in question was
> styled as an active campaigner for cycling and has contributed in the
> past to "The Cycle Campaign Network's Campaign for High Standards."
>
> One might, therefore, have expected to see a demonstration of the best
> in cycling proficiency with, perhaps, some comment on the economic,
> environmental and health benefits of cycling. Instead the program
> portrayed someone bleating self-righteously about every other road user
> while throwing in such comments as "whoops it's a bit naughty but I need
> to go the wrong way down a one-way street here to save time." He also
> showed the usual disregard for Give Way and STOP markings and for red
> lights, preferring instead to shout aloud about his love of "sweeping
> turns downhill" which were achieved by the simple expedient of not
> looking at oncoming traffic and diving around a curve flat out, ignoring
> the STOP marking where that curve led onto another road.
>
> General standards of cycling portrayed in the video were IMO low with
> scant regard to traffic law.
>
> Is this how cyclists wish to be seen by the general public? Self
> righteous tits who consider that the law applies only to others?
>
> I hope the police use the video as evidence for prosecution as they
> would in the case of a motorist who recorded himself driving recklessly.

Are you sure you're talking about the same video posted on youtube
linked from Clive's post? 'Cos it look fine to me, me handsome.

Steve Firth <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> wrote:

> Last week on TV there was a short video featuring the antics of a
> cyclist in Lancashire. The programme was supposed to be advocating the
> benefits of cycling as a means of getting to work.
>
> In it the cyclist used what appeared to be a helmet mounted camera and
> gave a running commentary on his progress. The person in question was
> styled as an active campaigner for cycling and has contributed in the
> past to "The Cycle Campaign Network's Campaign for High Standards."
>
> One might, therefore, have expected to see a demonstration of the best
> in cycling proficiency with, perhaps, some comment on the economic,
> environmental and health benefits of cycling. Instead the program
> portrayed someone bleating self-righteously about every other road user
> while throwing in such comments as "whoops it's a bit naughty but I need
> to go the wrong way down a one-way street here to save time." He also
> showed the usual disregard for Give Way and STOP markings and for red
> lights, preferring instead to shout aloud about his love of "sweeping
> turns downhill" which were achieved by the simple expedient of not
> looking at oncoming traffic and diving around a curve flat out, ignoring
> the STOP marking where that curve led onto another road.
>
> General standards of cycling portrayed in the video were IMO low with
> scant regard to traffic law.
>
> Is this how cyclists wish to be seen by the general public? Self
> righteous tits who consider that the law applies only to others?
>
> I hope the police use the video as evidence for prosecution as they
> would in the case of a motorist who recorded himself driving recklessly.

it is a bad image but then people are bad at choices. particuly with
traffic which is why folk tailgate, jump lights etc. after all they
haven't been killed yet.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Jim wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:33:46 +0100, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth)
> wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>> General standards of cycling portrayed in the video were IMO low with
>> scant regard to traffic law.
>>
>> Is this how cyclists wish to be seen by the general public? Self
>> righteous tits who consider that the law applies only to others?

> IMO this is the behaviour of most commuting cyclists.
>
> I do a (car) run into a city each day for work. Most cyclists I see
> are running red lights/stop lines at junctions, on the road when there
> is a good safe cycleway,

No such thing as a "good safe cycleway" they are all less safe than a road.

cutting cars up, swapping from road to
> pavement to take small short cuts and back to the road etc. etc. In
> the winter many don't have lights,

Are lights required in the winter? Which bit of the RTA or HC does that
come under?
most don't have any bright clothing
> at any time.

I think it's the fashion police you need to take this one up with.

> The police seem to ignore this behaviour, heck I've even seen them go
> straight though lights past police cars sitting on the line!
>
> I appreciate that commuting cyclists are only part of the wider
> cycling community and I see many good cyclists around, it just seems
> that the commuter is a different breed!

You are confusing "people on bikes" with cyclists, in the same way that
many people confuse "people who drive cars " with motorists.

On Aug 13, 9:08 pm, marc <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jim wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:33:46 +0100, %[email protected] (Steve Firth)
> > wrote:

> >> <snip>
> >> General standards of cycling portrayed in the video were IMO low with
> >> scant regard to traffic law.

> >> Is this how cyclists wish to be seen by the general public? Self
> >> righteous tits who consider that the law applies only to others?

> > IMO this is the behaviour of most commuting cyclists.

> > I do a (car) run into a city each day for work. Most cyclists I see
> > are running red lights/stop lines at junctions, on the road when there
> > is a good safe cycleway,

> No such thing as a "good safe cycleway" they are all less safe than a road.
>
> cutting cars up, swapping from road to
>
> > pavement to take small short cuts and back to the road etc. etc. In
> > the winter many don't have lights,

> Are lights required in the winter? Which bit of the RTA or HC does that
> come under?
> most don't have any bright clothing
>
> > at any time.

> I think it's the fashion police you need to take this one up with.
>

> > The police seem to ignore this behaviour, heck I've even seen them go
> > straight though lights past police cars sitting on the line!

> > I appreciate that commuting cyclists are only part of the wider
> > cycling community and I see many good cyclists around, it just seems
> > that the commuter is a different breed!

> You are confusing "people on bikes" with cyclists, in the same way that
> many people confuse "people who drive cars " with motorists.- Hide quoted text -

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/03.htm

Read through that and come back.

And I would guess that the winter lights is reference to the fact that
its dark from around 4ish and difficult to see the bad cyclists.

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as marc
<[email protected]> gently breathed:
>Jim wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:33:46 +0100, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth)
>> wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>>> General standards of cycling portrayed in the video were IMO low with
>>> scant regard to traffic law.
>>>
>>> Is this how cyclists wish to be seen by the general public? Self
>>> righteous tits who consider that the law applies only to others?

>> IMO this is the behaviour of most commuting cyclists.
>> I do a (car) run into a city each day for work. Most cyclists I see
>> are running red lights/stop lines at junctions, on the road when there
>> is a good safe cycleway,

>No such thing as a "good safe cycleway" they are all less safe than a road.

Not entirely true, just no such thing in the UK. I spent the weekend in
Holland, and it was a complete revelation to see what a country that
takes cycling as transport seriously can be like.

> cutting cars up, swapping from road to
>> pavement to take small short cuts and back to the road etc. etc. In
>> the winter many don't have lights,

>Are lights required in the winter? Which bit of the RTA or HC does that
>come under?

ISTR lights are a requirement in the dark. It's usually dark in winter
at most people's commuting time.

>most don't have any bright clothing
>> at any time.

>I think it's the fashion police you need to take this one up with.

Not sure about this one. On the one hand, making such clothing
mandatory would appear nannying and victim-blaming, on the other it does
make sense to be sure you can be seen.

I usually ride in black - but then I own very little that isn't black.
But I do have some nice bright lights on the bike.

>You are confusing "people on bikes" with cyclists, in the same way that
>many people confuse "people who drive cars " with motorists.

Non-members of the various groups don't make the distinction. As far as
the general public is concerned, person on bike = cyclist.

NP: Within Temptation - Mother Earth.
--
- DJ Pyromancer, Black Sheep, Leeds. <http://www.sheepish.net>
Hard Rock, Leeds <http://www.hard-rock.org.uk>

Pyromancer wrote:

>> No such thing as a "good safe cycleway" they are all less safe than a
>> road.

> Not entirely true, just no such thing in the UK. I spent the weekend in
> Holland, and it was a complete revelation to see what a country that
> takes cycling as transport seriously can be like.

Still doesn't make it a safe cycleway. The City of Copenhagen recently
installed a number of new cycleways allowing a study of before and after
accident rates. Turns out they accident and injury rates increased 10%
after they were built. Studies in the Netherlands and Germany have
similarly shown cycle tracks to be more dangerous than cycling on the road.

> Not sure about this one. On the one hand, making such clothing
> mandatory would appear nannying and victim-blaming, on the other it does
> make sense to be sure you can be seen.

I look forward to the mandatory painting of cars dayglo orange.

Tony

> Not sure about this one. On the one hand, making such clothing
> mandatory would appear nannying and victim-blaming, on the other it does
> make sense to be sure you can be seen.

Whilst wearing dark clothing would appear to be a silly thing to do, the
stats show that cycling is about 30% safer, per mile, than walking. Hi vis
should be prioritised for pedestrians, before we cyclists nab it all.

Therefore my lack of hi-vis is due to concern for the more vulnerable road
user than it is to my desire not to look like a bit of a nob ;)

--
Mark T

Pyromancer wrote:
> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as marc
> <[email protected]> gently breathed:
>> Jim wrote:

>>> IMO this is the behaviour of most commuting cyclists.
>>> I do a (car) run into a city each day for work. Most cyclists I see
>>> are running red lights/stop lines at junctions, on the road when there
>>> is a good safe cycleway,

>> No such thing as a "good safe cycleway" they are all less safe than a
>> road.

> Not entirely true, just no such thing in the UK. I spent the weekend in
> Holland, and it was a complete revelation to see what a country that
> takes cycling as transport seriously can be like.
>
>> cutting cars up, swapping from road to
>>> pavement to take small short cuts and back to the road etc. etc. In
>>> the winter many don't have lights,

>> Are lights required in the winter? Which bit of the RTA or HC does
>> that come under?

> ISTR lights are a requirement in the dark. It's usually dark in winter
> at most people's commuting time.
>
>> most don't have any bright clothing
>>> at any time.

>> I think it's the fashion police you need to take this one up with.

> Not sure about this one. On the one hand, making such clothing
> mandatory would appear nannying and victim-blaming, on the other it does
> make sense to be sure you can be seen.
>
> I usually ride in black - but then I own very little that isn't black.
> But I do have some nice bright lights on the bike.

If I listen to the people in my office the most conspicuous set up seems
to be no lights, black clothing and cycling on a pavement. Not a week
goes by whithout someone seeing one of these. Pity they seem to have
such trouble seeing other cyclists.